PLSA Farmer's Insurance (Torrey Pines south 2013)

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

PLSA Farmer's Insurance (Torrey Pines south 2013)

Postby GoesForIt on Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:25 pm

I just played a practice round with SC/FC and I'm really glad I switched to that. Based on what I'm seeing on TV, MC/FC may have been accurate, but I think the 2013 version version greens are a bit severe. I don't have the Strakaline maps for them but again, from what I see on TV, they're not as severe IRL.

I see the reason I'm watching on TV today is because they're going to finish on Saturday to avoid conflict with the NFL schedule.
GoesForIt

Re: PLSA Farmer's Insurance (Torrey Pines south 2013)

Postby Harpo on Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:16 pm

Not one of my favorite courses. Like several other courses, people seem to reach some of the par5's that somehow I can't reach? I know there is a mod for longer distance for your clubs but don't think we are able to use it, right? I have seen some par 5s that Roy reaches and eagles all the time and I have hit it (flushed) two drivers and am still short. Must be that off snap 3 wood of George's. Anyways, hit'em straight mates.
Jim
Harpo

Postby Echoes on Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:15 pm

Harpo wrote:Not one of my favorite courses. Like several other courses, people seem to reach some of the par5's that somehow I can't reach? I know there is a mod for longer distance for your clubs but don't think we are able to use it, right? I have seen some par 5s that Roy reaches and eagles all the time and I have hit it (flushed) two drivers and am still short. Must be that off snap 3 wood of George's. Anyways, hit'em straight mates.

Try driver / punched 3w
Echoes

Postby MasterMontgomery on Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:33 pm

Very interesting Jim. I have had several times of playing amateur, where driver 9 down
followed by 2 wood 9 down left me 30 yds short. But, at the same time in pro several
guys were reaching the same hole. I was unaware of this mod that makes the ball go much
longer. I thought we were all on an even playing field. Now this creates some doubts in my mind.
But, on another subject. You should give this tourney a try. The course plays very nice.
Plus you have been playing very well.

Doug :) :o
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:01 am

Harpo wrote:Not one of my favorite courses. Like several other courses, people seem to reach some of the par5's that somehow I can't reach? I know there is a mod for longer distance for your clubs but don't think we are able to use it, right? I have seen some par 5s that Roy reaches and eagles all the time and I have hit it (flushed) two drivers and am still short. Must be that off snap 3 wood of George's. Anyways, hit'em straight mates.

Nasty course imo :lol: I mean that in the "it's very difficult to play and score well" kinda way. Long par 4's and usually some very difficult pin positions. Soft conditions probably the hardest.

As for long par 5's. I dont often tinker with the T shots but if I get within maybe 300 yards for the second shot its something I am likely to have a go at depending on the overall conditions and what's in front of the green. Sometimes in firm conditions with a likley downhill landing area I might use a 2W all the way down to the bottom but that would need a perfect snap.

The off snap 3W is an option though as it does roll a long way and can get to 300 in the right conditions. Knowing where to aim though is pure guesswork :lol: :lol: I have probably aimes as far as 80 yards wide of the pin but then again comes more guesswork, knowing how much to miss the snap by. Get that wrong by much and you might find yourself 40 to 50 yards wide of the green :oops: So its perhaps not a shot to take on if missing like that could land you in OB of some kind. Been there done that
RoyHiggi

Postby GoesForIt on Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:59 am

Easiest course setup I can imagine in Round #2... and I blew it completely. What a mess.
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:01 am

The only "mod" I know of is to play the ball back in your stance for about 10-20 yards. I have my driver and 3-metal permanently set 2 clicks back... then change as necessary. Maybe some guys are good enough to take their backswing all the way. I almost never go past 1 O'Clock.
GoesForIt

Postby GoBucks on Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:13 am

Here is a link to a thread concerning the "Pro Distance Mod." Embedded in this link are a couple of links to relating threads.

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=12132&p=94216&hilit=pro+distance#p94174

It seems as though some topics are like fashions. If you stick around around long enough, they'll come back around.
No matter where you go, there you are!
GoBucks

Postby Harpo on Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:50 am

GoBucks wrote:Here is a link to a thread concerning the "Pro Distance Mod." Embedded in this link are a couple of links to relating threads.

http://www.lspn.net/community/viewtopic ... nce#p94174

It seems as though some topics are like fashions. If you stick around around long enough, they'll come back around.

Hmmm, says I'm not allowed to read that forum?
Jim
Harpo

Postby Echoes on Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:08 pm

Much ado about nothing since it can't be used on the links tour, but here is a link you can view explaining it.

http://linksassistant.no-ip.info/prodistance.htm
Echoes

Postby Harpo on Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:37 pm

Echoes wrote:Much ado about nothing since it can't be used on the links tour, but here is a link you can view explaining it.

Yeah, I seen that before and kind of figured one could not be using it. It is just my problem to figure out how to reach some of these par 5's. Missed my snap on the first par 5 and ended up just on the front. (birdie) Then the only other one that I think was possible reaching was 18. Left that one a little to far right. (birdie) I didn't want to find the water there as I missed clubed three par 4's which was my own fault. A ball in the water on 18 would have ruined a so so round.
Jim
Harpo

Postby GoesForIt on Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:56 pm

Echoes wrote:Much ado about nothing since it can't be used on the links tour, but here is a link you can view explaining it.

A good link to have, but I don't think I'll apply it... although with some the courses mimicking IRL courses for distance and given the increase in club/ball technology, it is probably realistic.

Won't do a think to help my putting. I'd love to have a count of my total number of singed lips.
GoesForIt

Postby Harpo on Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:57 pm

GoesForIt wrote:Easiest course setup I can imagine in Round #2... and I blew it completely. What a mess.

I would not say easy with a lot of those pins so close to the edge, esp. on a couple par 3s. On the Pro side, I had to chip in twice going a hair long.
Jim
Harpo

Postby GoBucks on Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:23 am

Harpo wrote:
GoBucks wrote:Here is a link to a thread concerning the "Pro Distance Mod." Embedded in this link are a couple of links to relating threads.

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=12132&p=94216&hilit=pro+distance#p94174

Hmmm, says I'm not allowed to read that forum?

My bad, Harpo. I didn't realize it was from a league forum.
No matter where you go, there you are!
GoBucks

Return to Talk About It