How tough can Augusta be?

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

How tough can Augusta be?

Postby BirdieExpress on Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:19 am

Nice tourney! It looks the Tournament Committee got tired of people talking about how "easy" Augusta has become. Firm & Fast and Strong Breezy, still no deep rough, and they had to give the field a fighting chance on the 4th round setup just to keep from totally embarrasing them.

Augusta does not allow the USGA to come out and give an official course rating. Estimates place among the most difficult in the country, as if there was really any doubt. I think this tourney proves it.
BirdieExpress

Postby TIG__Ripper on Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:21 am

The dry weather and wind didn't help either. In past years the rain has softened the course up prior to the tourney. Not this year. Ouch.
TIG__Ripper

Postby sgt_cook on Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:50 am

Whatever people say about the course, its set up the same for everyone. The only real difference might have been a variation in wind speed as tee times progressed. Personally I enjoyed watching the coverage. Some great imagination and touch (In some cases not) was put on display this year.
sgt_cook

Postby TIG__Ripper on Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:34 am

Like Arnie said...It's a Major, it's supposed to be hard.
TIG__Ripper

Postby DennisHarris on Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:20 am

Too tuff to tame. At least this year.

The Augusta set up was pretty much normal for Augusta IMO. The exception was the pin positions for the final round as was noted already. That was a decision made by Hootie Johnsons replacement. (I can't think of his name.) That decision was the correct one because scores were there to be had on sunday and provided an exciting finish to the tournament.

IMO The big difference in scoring in this years Masters was caused by the cold weather. Remember it was at or near record setting low temperatures in Georgia on both friday and saturday nights. Couple the wind with the cold weather and poof .... Augusta became a super monster and very high scores were shot. The fairways at Augusta were also very dry (as noted) because, in part, they could not water them (as normal) because of the fear of freezing temperatures and/or frost. Sunday was cool too but was actually warmer than saturday and the winds were much more calm too.

Anyway IMO it was refreshing to see the worlds best pro's struggle so mightily at Augusta for a change. Not that they didn't struggle there normally. Augusta is plain hard under normal conditions and the weather in this years tournament simply played havoc with the players scoring ability.

And yes majors are supposed to be hard. This year it was harder than hard.
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

Postby GDI_Coyote on Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:25 am

So when linksters whine about playing the mod,i'm reminded of this weekend at Augusta.I enjoy hearing the pros complain almost as much as those mod haters! 8)

One who got tired of nb/vnb/vnd/vns/vvn/vnE/xs/xxs,etc...you get the jist,
Steve
GDI_Coyote

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:46 am

actually, you heard hardly any complaining by the players about unfairness of the course setup, even early in the event. the augusta national membership have paid a ton of money for one of the most sophisticated systems of green hydration in the world. they have exact control over how much water goes onto the greens and how much water gets sucked out of them. that's why those greens were pretty consistant in speed (very very fast) all week even in dry windy conditions. a predictable green surface control advantage the usga never has in its own events. the masters comittee put a little water on the greens saturday night, and used some easier hole locations on a few select holes, and thus had the makings of a great back nine sunday. and it was pretty good, whoever won. lw

___
Larry_Warrilow

Postby GDI_Coyote on Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:41 am

Key word in what you said was "heard".If there was no complaining,why water the greens Saturday and Sunday?Why the generous pins on Sunday?Whether they complained or not...the course was playable if you could hit a shot in a 6 ft circle! :lol: I love it!

So Johnson tied the record for the highest winning score.I wonder if they watered the greens in 1954 and 56?

Steve
GDI_Coyote

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:15 pm

the players hardly ever complain about masters conditions, but the committee knew that an easier setup on sunday would make for good tv. they were right, and had the hydration technology and the pin location sophistication to make it so. now we know that the masters committee has the fairly unique ability to manage the scoring conditions whatever the weather. lw

Return to Talk About It