Harbour Town IRL vs. Links version

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Harbour Town IRL vs. Links version

Postby RonnieSmith on Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:33 pm

Hi folks,

I had the good fortune to play Harbour Town a couple of times in early February as part of a turning 60 vacation celebration at Hilton Head. The first round I played with a couple of juniors who were playing that weekend in a tournament where the second and final round was going to be at Harbour Town. The old guy in the group did manage to have closest to the pin on a couple of par 3's (though they might have been hitting from about 50 yards further, but we were probably using the same iron!).

Anyway, some observations about the Links version relative to IRL.

1. My joke about the IRL Harbour Town trees is that unlike elsewhere (the claim of course being trees are 90% air), is that the Harbour Town trees are about 90% tree. So that's pretty much like the Links version.

2. Harbour Town is tight enough IRL without some even artificially tighter out of bounds that exists in the Links version. That's unfortunate.

3. The 15th green must have rebuilt since the Links version came out. They are very different in terms of the sloping.

I still enjoy the LInks version very much.

Ronnie
RonnieSmith

Re: Harbour Town IRL vs. Links version

Postby JackRussellTerror on Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:34 pm

you are so lucky Ronnie having played Harbour Town IRL !
it was the first course i played in the Links series way back in the mid 1990s.....and i was HOOKED !

down here, my claim to "fame" is having played Royal Melbourne, Kingston Heath and Royal Sydney a few times !
R.
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby Bassmaster on Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:04 am

That's awesome to have had the opportunity to play Harbor Town. Being here in Southern California I had the opportunity to play Riviera in the 1974 LA Open and missed the cut after shooting 77-78 as an amateur. I've played Torrey Pines South and the POS course Pelican Hill which is a disaster of a course in real life and in Links. Just my opinion.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby Jimbo Bogie on Tue May 10, 2022 1:40 pm

Bassmaster wrote:That's awesome to have had the opportunity to play Harbor Town. Being here in Southern California I had the opportunity to play Riviera in the 1974 LA Open and missed the cut after shooting 77-78 as an amateur. I've played Torrey Pines South and the POS course Pelican Hill which is a disaster of a course in real life and in Links. Just my opinion.

Hi Rick-I have a friend who played the US Amateur at Pinehurse (he didn't make the cut either). Just wondering if your real name might be familiar.

As for Ronnie-I thought that I was the official nitpicker! :D
Jimbo Bogie

Postby Bassmaster on Tue May 10, 2022 5:46 pm

Jimbo Bogie wrote:
Bassmaster wrote:That's awesome to have had the opportunity to play Harbor Town. Being here in Southern California I had the opportunity to play Riviera in the 1974 LA Open and missed the cut after shooting 77-78 as an amateur. I've played Torrey Pines South and the POS course Pelican Hill which is a disaster of a course in real life and in Links. Just my opinion.

Hi Rick-I have a friend who played the US Amateur at Pinehurse (he didn't make the cut either). Just wondering if your real name might be familiar.

As for Ronnie-I thought that I was the official nitpicker! :D

Sorry but I've never had the chance to play Pinehurst.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby MasterMontgomery on Tue May 10, 2022 7:34 pm

Rick congrats what an accomplishment. You must be quite good 77 78 on that
course. I did see where a person i knew( Tom Weiskopf) was in that tourney.
On saturday he shot a course tying 65,
I met him my freshman year 1962 at Ohio State. Played alot of basketball 5 on 5
which he was in. But, i never knew him personally. I was a loyal fan of his pro career,
but alot of people did not care so much for him.
I guess my claim to golf fame was the 1978( I think) Memorial in Columbus. I had
taken Karen (my wife) who was pregnant at the time. As we were walking in( 6 miles away)
a passing car stopped an a voice said are you all going to the golf tourney. I turned an much to my surprise
it was Gary Player and his business manager. Anyway he said get in which we did. He was so polite an talked about
everything but not golf. I think he had just won the Masters that year. His tee time was not for another
two hours, so we followed Weiskopf around. He shot 72 while later on Player shot 67. That was
opening day.
Anyway, not to get away from what you did. that was great. Your also great at Links.

keep playing well
Doug
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Postby Bassmaster on Tue May 10, 2022 9:39 pm

MasterMontgomery wrote:Rick congrats what an accomplishment. You must be quite good 77 78 on that
course. I did see where a person i knew( Tom Weiskopf) was in that tourney.
On saturday he shot a course tying 65,
I met him my freshman year 1962 at Ohio State. Played alot of basketball 5 on 5
which he was in. But, i never knew him personally. I was a loyal fan of his pro career,
but alot of people did not care so much for him.
I guess my claim to golf fame was the 1978( I think) Memorial in Columbus. I had
taken Karen (my wife) who was pregnant at the time. As we were walking in( 6 miles away)
a passing car stopped an a voice said are you all going to the golf tourney. I turned an much to my surprise
it was Gary Player and his business manager. Anyway he said get in which we did. He was so polite an talked about
everything but not golf. I think he had just won the Masters that year. His tee time was not for another
two hours, so we followed Weiskopf around. He shot 72 while later on Player shot 67. That was
opening day.
Anyway, not to get away from what you did. that was great. Your also great at Links.

keep playing well
Doug

It's funny you mentioned Tom Weiskopf. My 2 rounds I played were with him. He was pissed off that an amateur was playing with him.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Return to Talk About It