I feel sad for the 20+ under players...

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

I feel sad for the 20+ under players...

Postby ds3224 on Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:21 am

I always get so excited when I have a good round and putts are falling etc. By good I mean -14 or so.... It must be very boring for those players who shoot consistently in the - 20's. I dont use any charts and have played for so long and every day. I try to keep it like real golf; no charts or graphs or counting dots out on the real courses. I am a horrible putter and probably always will be, but I have played and loved Links for 20 some years. I don't like when they mess with the swing meter which seems to happen when the conditions are difficult which is usually 9 of 18 holes each round. So, give thanks for this wonderful game and all the guys who keep it up and enjoy playing it.... DS3224 here....
ds3224

Re: I feel sad for the 20+ under players...

Postby Bassmaster on Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:13 am

I to have been around for 20+ years. I don't use charts or count dots but I do have notebooks with a page for every course. I make notes about tiered and sloping greens, drop offs in the fairways and near greens, and especially those unseen hidden trees around the greens.
Last edited by Bassmaster on Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby pmgolf on Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:20 pm

ds3224 wrote:I always get so excited when I have a good round and putts are falling etc. By good I mean -14 or so.... It must be very boring for those players who shoot consistently in the - 20's. I dont use any charts and have played for so long and every day. I try to keep it like real golf; no charts or graphs or counting dots out on the real courses. I am a horrible putter and probably always will be, but I have played and loved Links for 20 some years. I don't like when they mess with the swing meter which seems to happen when the conditions are difficult which is usually 9 of 18 holes each round. So, give thanks for this wonderful game and all the guys who keep it up and enjoy playing it.... DS3224 here....

Sorry - I'm just curious. Who messes with the swing meter? Thanks!

Pete
pmgolf

Postby ds3224 on Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:37 pm

yeah, gotta love those unseen mystery trees that show up not to often....
ds3224

Postby RoyHiggi on Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:42 pm

I'm like Bassmaster, no charts , graphs (not sure what they would be anyway), no dot counting ( wouldn't have a clue) but no notes about courses ( too much like work :lol: ) As PM said who messes with the swing meter?

Just get out there and hit the ball and enjoy it.
RoyHiggi

Postby MasterMontgomery on Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:34 pm

:D Roy did you really miss what ds3224
was saying? Or are you just
avoiding it?

Doug
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:37 am

MasterMontgomery wrote::D Roy did you really miss what ds3224
was saying? Or are you just
avoiding it?

Doug

dont think i did but maybe :lol: :lol: Just agreed its just about playing and enjoying
RoyHiggi

Postby GoesForIt on Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:36 am

Even though it cannot happen, it would be nice to switch between modes on occasion. I think something besides classic might help me on short putts. I have a really fast i7 computer unencumbered by anything. No virus protection, etc. Only Links 2003. Still, I have trouble not pulling or pushing short putts. Hit the snap much more often on longer putts.... then of course you can ALWAYS make the one coming back which only makes it worse.

Still, Champ mode, for me scoringwise , is the most like playing along with the Pros on TV so I'm happy.
GoesForIt

Postby GoBucks on Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:46 am

ds3224 wrote:I don't like when they mess with the swing meter which seems to happen when the conditions are difficult which is usually 9 of 18 holes each round. ...

I, too, would like to know who "They" are? And please explain your "9 of 18 holes" theory.
No matter where you go, there you are!
GoBucks

Postby ds3224 on Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:02 pm

9 easy, 9 hard; been that way for a long time. Guess you don't play daily like I do.... Who would be the folks who create the conditions for the Links tournys.....
ds3224

Postby Harpo on Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:54 pm

Messing with the swing meter when the conditions are difficult for usually 9 holes? Perhaps English is not your native language and you are trying to say something else? I post and read on some other gaming boards and sometimes this is something that happens. Just a few of us are trying to understand what you mean. Not trying to start anything just trying to get an answer that we understand here.
Jim
Harpo

Postby Jimbo Bogie on Tue May 10, 2022 1:35 pm

ds3224 wrote:I always get so excited when I have a good round and putts are falling etc. By good I mean -14 or so.... It must be very boring for those players who shoot consistently in the - 20's. I dont use any charts and have played for so long and every day. I try to keep it like real golf; no charts or graphs or counting dots out on the real courses. I am a horrible putter and probably always will be, but I have played and loved Links for 20 some years. I don't like when they mess with the swing meter which seems to happen when the conditions are difficult which is usually 9 of 18 holes each round. So, give thanks for this wonderful game and all the guys who keep it up and enjoy playing it.... DS3224 here....

Hi DS-I thought that I was the only one! :D
Jimbo Bogie

Postby albatros on Tue May 10, 2022 6:41 pm

just a bit of a twist for the under 20 crowd and all golfing puppeteers ... i play the ruler of rough and you talk about your under 20 crowd ;} but the game has so many ways to enjoy it to your liking ( or not ) and when playing cow pasture pool the main objective hopefully is having fun ( and yes i have abused a mouse or 2) when playing pro mode par is almost a birdie for me ... and yet the challenge is what i put in front of me .... i have played almost all modes and like pro the best but to some players other methods seem to apply better.

playing the ruler of the rough always one of my favs ( i do so like albatrosses ) but it is what ever suits yer fancy or floats your boat imho.

the course this week is beautiful btw really enjoyed valhalla i had to download it and glad i did .... this course is beatiful in any mode any one would choose to play it ... imho since to each their own is still a great benchmark ;}

to fairways and greens

albatros

a bouncing ball never sleeps
albatros

Return to Talk About It