Help with reinstall on Window 11

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Help with reinstall on Window 11

Postby mike58 on Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:52 pm

Got a new laptop, windows 11. Installed the program from my original discs. When I opened the game, I got a message that my disc(1) had to be verified by the administrator. I checked user status (I am only user) and it says I am the administrator. Tried google for help, but all the answers are different and confusing. Anybody have this problem and overcame it.

Also looking at installing patches, looks like 1.07 might include 1.02 and 1.05. Is this true?
Mike
mike58

Re: Help with reinstall on Window 11

Postby pmgolf on Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:23 pm

On the Links 2003 Shortcut icon - right-click, choose "Properties", then "Compatibility", then check "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 2", then, further down, check "Run this program as an Administrator".

Next, in your /Links 2003/ folder, rename the "RuKsHuK.exe" file to "Old RuKsHuK.exe", and then download the following file and put it in that folder. (The replacement "RuKsHuK.exe" version is known to fix the problem where Links tells you to put the first Links load disk in the drive to run Links. It may help with your message about "disc(1) has to be verified by the administrator", although what you did above also might fix that)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyajq2nge0ofz2u/RUKSHUK_2003_102.zip?dl=0

For me, Links version 1.07 replaces 1.02 and 1.05.

Hopefully all that will fix your problems. :D

Pete
pmgolf

Re: Help with reinstall on Window 11

Postby mike58 on Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:47 pm

Thanks for your help, but it didn't work. Guess I'll just get a download version and go from there. Took me a long time to get the file you provided. Mostly a windows 11 problem I think. A lot of the procedures have a new interface that is confusing. I kept messing with it, since it said it was a zip file, but finally was asked to download the exe file.
Mike
mike58

Return to Talk About It