WINDOWS 11

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

WINDOWS 11

Postby GoesForIt on Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:52 am

Has anyone updated to Windows 11 and tried playing Links 2003? Just asking. On my golf computer I got a notification of the ability to upgrade. I want to avoid it until I'm sure Links 2003 works.

If nobody has yet, I'll upgrade my work computer and try it.
GoesForIt

Re: WINDOWS 11

Postby Harpo on Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:07 pm

I updated my laptop to 11. Links run the same as in 10 but I don't use it to play my rounds on. I just bought the laptop this past summer when my old on bit the dust. The graphics in it causes the swing meter to start fast and go slower on the downswing. I had to use the Voodoo program just to make it run.

But back to the question, it didn't change how it ran in 11.
Jim
Harpo

Postby JackRussellTerror on Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:21 pm

GoesForIt wrote:Has anyone updated to Windows 11 and tried playing Links 2003? Just asking. On my golf computer I got a notification of the ability to upgrade. I want to avoid it until I'm sure Links 2003 works.

my Desktop Tower PC is about a year and a half young - Intel i5, 8 ram, gigabyte M/B, dedicated grafics card, and yet in my Win 10 Update section it says "Win11 wont run on your PC" ! WTF ?

naahhhhhh stuff em - no way i'm buying a new Desktop (AGAIN ) just to run Win11 ! can't afford it !
Micro$oft will fully support, with Win10 updates, untill the end of NEXT year, so maybe THEN i might need to do something .....

its all a conspiracy ......... the hardware and software companies want your money, by YOU the User having to upgrade :x

nahhhhhhh ...... sticking with Win 10 for quite a while yet :D

sorry i didn't answer your question tho GFI !
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby RonnieSmith on Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:27 pm

GoesForIt wrote:Has anyone updated to Windows 11 and tried playing Links 2003? Just asking. On my golf computer I got a notification of the ability to upgrade. I want to avoid it until I'm sure Links 2003 works.

I updated this week and everything is running fine with one quirk. At the end of the round when it displays your stats for the round, I get all zeroes. However, it seems to be updating the cumulative stats just fine. It appears that all the saved stats and saved shots are still there.

My erratic snapping is a function of rustiness, not the machine. Probably should have picked Covered Bridge rather than Kiawah for getting the rust off :lol:

I have a less than one year old Dell that I souped up pretty good when I bought it last December.

Ronnie
RonnieSmith

Postby Harpo on Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:17 pm

My desktop has an I7 and it says that the processor is not good enough for window 11. I will stick with it for a few more years for sure.
Jim
Harpo

Postby RoyHiggi on Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:26 am

RonnieSmith wrote:

I updated this week and everything is running fine with one quirk. At the end of the round when it displays your stats for the round, I get all zeroes. However, it seems to be updating the cumulative stats just fine. It appears that all the saved stats and saved shots are still there.

My erratic snapping is a function of rustiness, not the machine. Probably should have picked Covered Bridge rather than Kiawah for getting the rust off :lol:

I have a less than one year old Dell that I souped up pretty good when I bought it last December.

Ronnie

Isnt Kiawah the course that dosnt show stats for anyone?
RoyHiggi

Postby GoBucks on Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:23 am

There are a couple of threads at LinksCorner.
No matter where you go, there you are!
GoBucks

Postby Steve Sullivan on Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:32 pm

Did the in place install and everything appears okay with Links including LSPN.
Steve Sullivan

Postby GoesForIt on Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:30 pm

RonnieSmith wrote:

Ronnie

Ronnie, that's a Kiawah deal. APCD author turned off stats.
GoesForIt

Postby Colin_Rommel on Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:55 pm

I've not even tried Links on Windows 10, as I'm still using Win 7 on which it works fine. However, I have a custom-built PC on order with Win 11 on it which should arrive in a few weeks so I might give it a try. If it doesn't work, I'll carry on playing it on my Win 7 PC as I intend having both PCs in use side-by side. (Not that I've played much Links lately anyway... :shock: )
Pobody's nerfect.
Colin_Rommel

Postby GOLFGEEK1 on Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:36 am

Hey guys. There are several "work arounds" so that you can update to Windows 11 from Windows 10. Most of the trouble is that Windows 11 requires a processor that has a chip called Trusted Media Platform or TPM for short. Microsoft has provided a work around for all of us whose computers(mine included) who don't have TPM on their motherboards. Just visit the Windows website and you'll find the work arounds. Good Luck all!!! :D

RICK
"I'm Smiling because I have NO CLUE what's going on"
GOLFGEEK1

Postby Harpo on Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:22 pm

Rick, there is a little more to it than just the TPM. Here is my health check. I have TPM on my machine but as you can see the only thing it red lines is my I7 is not up to their code. Maybe there is a work around for me. Not really looking into it for now.

Jim
Harpo

Postby JackRussellTerror on Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:37 pm

oh well, i don't even have TPM ........ and the PC is not even 2 years old !
i'm a non starter here .......... :x

check.jpg
check.jpg (142.8 KB) Viewed 5714 times
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby ilesquire on Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:56 pm

"oh well, i don't even have TPM ........ and the PC is not even 2 years old !
i'm a non starter here .......... "

Hi JRT,

If your computer is only 2 years old you can probably enable TPM and Secure Boot in the motherboard’s BIOS. You may need to convert your hard drive from MBR to GPT and change your firmware mode from Legacy BIOS to UEFI. (There are plenty of articles on the web showing you how to do all of this.) As others have said, there are ways to upgrade to Win 11 if your CPU is on the currently "unsupported" list. Of course, this is assuming that you wish to install Win 11......... (Duh, :oops: just noticed that your CPU is supported....)
ilesquire

Postby JackRussellTerror on Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:09 am

ilesquire wrote:"oh well, i don't even have TPM ........ and the PC is not even 2 years old !
i'm a non starter here .......... "

Hi JRT,

If your computer is only 2 years old you can probably enable TPM and Secure Boot in the motherboard’s BIOS. You may need to convert your hard drive from MBR to GPT and change your firmware mode from Legacy BIOS to UEFI. (There are plenty of articles on the web showing you how to do all of this.) As others have said, there are ways to upgrade to Win 11 if your CPU is on the currently "unsupported" list. Of course, this is assuming that you wish to install Win 11......... (Duh, :oops: just noticed that your CPU is supported....)

hi mate, NUP its all gobbledy gook to me !
all i know is i push a button and the PC starts ......
i could take my current Win10 PC to a Cumputer Shop tho !
otherwise i'll just keep using this Win10 Box until Micro$oft stop supporting Win10.
thanks for your input ......
JackRussellTerror

Next

Return to Talk About It