Something to think about...

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Something to think about...

Postby GoesForIt on Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:29 pm

Links had Top Golf style tracking long before it was available on television (with top cam and others). The guys at Access Software were pure genius. I think I played a bit of Perfect Golf very early on and the ball flight characteristics were not nearly as realistic as Links.

I wrote the guy I got The Masters pin placements from suggesting that they do an article on Links... based on the fact that it's been around in one form or another for over 30 years. About the only game I can think of that's been around longer is Solitaire.

It's a bit like the SR-71 "Blackbird"... still, as far as the public knows, the fastest highest flying jet engine aircraft in the world. In service in 1964 and developed with slide rules, not fancy computers. Every single thing about the aircraft was new ground.

Links similar in its own way.
Attachments
topGolf.JPG
topGolf.JPG (44.49 KB) Viewed 2981 times
GoesForIt

Re: Something to think about...

Postby JackRussellTerror on Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:35 pm

GoesForIt wrote:
I wrote the guy I got The Masters pin placements from suggesting that they do an article on Links... based on the fact that it's been around in one form or another for over 30 years. About the only game I can think of that's been around longer is Solitaire.

i remember reading this years ago. There are 4 or 5 parts to it.
We can reflect now and give thanks to how lucky we were/are that we discovered this GREAT PC game ......Links golf !
http://www.linkscountryclub.com/LinksCCPC/Clubhouse/FeatureArticles/HistoryofLinks1.htm

i started with GOLFAMANIA on the Sega Master system .......i think it was 1995 (?) along with :lol: Alex Kidd in Miracle World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tyWjLD-ho4

Links .......long live the KING of PC Golf Sims !

and i love Solitaire ..... and Minesweeper TOO :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby BruMu on Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:05 am

Now there's some memories. I started with leaderboard golf in the late 80's and stayed with the game going forward.

Anyone remember playing the DoLinks Tour?

What a gr8 game, after 35+ years it's still the best golf sim available imho.
These are the "Good Ole Days", just wait and see.
BruMu

Postby GoesForIt on Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:49 am

BruMu wrote:Now there's some memories. I started with leaderboard golf in the late 80's and stayed with the game going forward.

For one of those I provided the programming for submitting scores. It was not nearly as nice as LSPN, but it got the job done. There was a program interface of a sort available so it was built into Links. My memory is so vague on even which version we were using then. I believe it was DoLinks, but cannot be certain.

Correspondence would have been via my aol.com email so I may be able to go WAY back and find something.
GoesForIt

Postby whisky on Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:30 pm

BruMu wrote:Now there's some memories. I started with leaderboard golf in the late 80's and stayed with the game going forward.

Hi, Me too started with the Commadore 64 version of Leaderboard ('86 I believe) and have had ALL versions since!

Eddie B
whisky

Postby ilesquire on Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:20 am

My first golf sim ..........Intellivision, PGA Golf - approx. 1981................ :oops: :roll:
ilesquire

Postby whisky on Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:40 am

ilesquire wrote:My first golf sim ..........Intellivision, PGA Golf - approx. 1981................ :oops: :roll:

Gosh, I’m a youngster compared with you! I did maybe have something else…can’t recall. It was played off a tape cassette to the ‘64, and took forever to load. Graphics were good, but owing to tape probs often crashed! I did have a very early pic EGA Green and black graphics, Jack Nic I believe, played off 5” floppy! And don’t get me talking of flight sims!
Eddie
whisky

Return to Talk About It