Overcoming equipment advancement

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Overcoming equipment advancement

Postby GoesForIt on Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:19 pm

This has nothing to do with Links truly, more the IRL Pro Tour. I understand the PGA is trying to figure out what to do about equipment since it's getting harder and harder to make courses longer.

I actually sent them what I think ought to be one part of the solution. At say the 300 yard mark on several of the par 4s and par 5s, simply let the rough grow substantially beyond that mark. If you want to it it like Bryson, you better hit it straight or there's a price to pay. Short hitters simply have longer approach shots.

Just thought I'd throw it out there for discussion... if you don't have anything better to do.
Attachments
Harder.jpg
Harder.jpg (70.44 KB) Viewed 1242 times
GoesForIt

Re: Overcoming equipment advancement

Postby RonnieSmith on Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:19 am

I think it would be very difficult to get the membership of every club where there's a PGA tour event (and don't forget Korn Ferry), who would be willing to have their course "tricked up" for many weeks every year just to create certain conditions.

As an example, I believe at Marion for the 2013 US Open, the membership carried grass mats around with them for several months just so they wouldn't be taking any divots prior to the event. That is not feasible on an annual basis.

Having high rough where membership is losing many golf balls and creating 5 hour rounds because of the searching is not good business.

My two cents,

Ronnie
RonnieSmith

Re: Overcoming equipment advancement

Postby GoesForIt on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:09 am

RonnieSmith wrote: My two cents, Ronnie

The PGA probably agrees with you. They didn't get back to me. :lol: :lol:
GoesForIt

Return to Talk About It