new courses added list

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

new courses added list

Postby gibby on Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:23 pm

First off let me say Thanks to Warren for adding the courses,
But I have a problem with the way the list is being added.
After spending half of Sunday downloading courses from the list it would have been nice to know which courses are free, which are from Mike Jones's site and which are from acpd.
Lucky I looked at the list and found from Feb 18,19,22,23 and the 24 that there where 10 courses from Mike Jones because at $6.95 a pop I would have been real pissed off if I had downloaded each seperately when getting all 10 for only 36.95.
now I have to go back and find out what it's going to cost to sign up at (I think 3 sites) to download other courses.
Next complaint is why does Links corner change the course name to a number(Shaking Tree #1730, Copperhead #1614) is there a reason for this?
3rd complaint: Make sure the name is correct on the list not part of a name (Gut Kaden a+c,Gut Kaden b+a, Gut Kaden a+c 2001 version or 2003. I'll assume 2003/

And I'll add this: I have no problem paying for courses, and I'll continue to add them, but I would like to see the list and any new courses listed by site, so any members can choose to go to that site and select which coures they wish to buy and which site they choose to sign up for and at what price!
P.S. I'm only half way thru downloading, still need to install
gibby

Re: new courses added list

Postby SteveFr on Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:45 pm

gibby wrote:Next complaint is why does Links corner change the course name to a number(Shaking Tree #1730, Copperhead #1614) is there a reason for this?

If I remember correctly gibby, I don't think they actually change any of the course file names. The numbered file is just the zip file that you download, when you unzip it all the files are the original names. Not sure why they do this. This is only when you download from the Links Corner server, the files on the Fileplanet server are closer to the actual course name. No real problems either way. I normally rename the zip file manually as I download it to avoid confusing myself.

Steve
SteveFr

Postby gibby on Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:52 pm

Thanks Steve, I know when I install them, the names correct, just when I copy them to cd and then add them to my list, I have to remember to change the name from whatever the # is
gibby

Postby SteveFr on Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:14 pm

Yeah, same here. That's why I change the file name as I download it, then there's no chance of me forgetting later which one is which.
Steve
SteveFr

Postby Tresclub on Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:05 pm

That number thingy from Links Corner never comes into play for me. When I download a course, I select the OPEN option (as opposed to the save option). When the download has been completed, the zip file is opened up, and I select the .crz file, and extract it to my LSPN_Courses folder. Go in to Links/Options/Course Manager, and add the course. I don't worry about those LC numbers, or renaming files.

When you select a course form the LC list, the next screen will give you the download sources: either FilePlanet or Links Corner Download Manager. As for the P2P courses, there will be some text telling you "This course is not available for download at Links Corner, but can be obtained by following the link below."

Hope this helps.
"I don't play golf, because when I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it." - Rogers Hornsby
Tresclub

Postby gibby on Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:29 am

I guess my point was more of watch where your downloading it could cost you more.
As I went to the Mike Jones site looking for Shadowlands that's when I spotted the other nine on the list of added courses, so instead of paying for one course I was able to get the discount price by buying 10.
gibby

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:57 pm

as with the old legacy MS files, mike jones' site gives a large discount based on the number files you buy in one group. buying his entire library at one time may be the biggest bargain in all of links.

the p2ps on the apcd-courses site are by various designers who have different accounts over there, the courses vary in price, and thus a package discount deal would probably be a tough accounting nut to [censored]. that being said, the p2ps are not much more expensive than an old MS file, and the design work is in a whole other league. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby BruceWallace on Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:39 pm

SteveFr wrote:Yeah, same here. That's why I change the file name as I download it, then there's no chance of me forgetting later which one is which.
Steve

You don't need to change the name, if you click on the Fileplanet icon to download, instead of the Links Corner Download Manager icon.
BruceWallace

Postby Tresclub on Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:51 pm

I just downloaded South Shore G C 2006 from Links Corner. I used the LC Download Manager link, and the download was for 1728.zip. I elected to OPEN the file, rather than save it. When the download was complete, the zip file opened. One of the files was the course file: SShore2006_locked.crz

No need for any file renaming. Just selected the .crz file, extracted it to my LSPN_Course folder, and then went into Links and added it via the Course Manager.
"I don't play golf, because when I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it." - Rogers Hornsby
Tresclub

Postby SteveFr on Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:11 am

BruceWallace wrote:
SteveFr wrote:Yeah, same here. That's why I change the file name as I download it, then there's no chance of me forgetting later which one is which.
Steve

You don't need to change the name, if you click on the Fileplanet icon to download, instead of the Links Corner Download Manager icon.

That's pretty much what I said in my earlier post. However, given the choice, I wull normally download from the LC servers. It's less messing about and I get a faster download speed than I do from the Fileplanet servers.

Warren, I normally save & rename rather than open because I often keep the zip file as a backup on my external HD.

Steve
SteveFr

Postby Tresclub on Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:48 am

SteveFr wrote:Warren, I normally save & rename rather than open because I often keep the zip file as a backup on my external HD.
Steve

np, good idea to backup.

Warren
Tresclub

Postby mike58 on Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:03 pm

I have an external hard drive that I download courses to. Then I extract the course file to my courses directory when I need it to compete in a tournament. I have been downloading them as I can, but don't clog up my Courses directory until I actually need the course.

Also, when I extract the file to the courses directory, I'm done. I have never had to use the Course Manager to load it, it's there.
mike58

Postby terrell on Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:49 pm

mike58 wrote:Also, when I extract the file to the courses directory, I'm done. I have never had to use the Course Manager to load it, it's there.

the more courses you have in the courses directory, the slower links is on startup. i have a courses2k3 for access software/ms courses and a apcd_courses for apcd's. 'course, if'n ya don't care about startup speed, i guess havin' 'em all in one dir has its merits.
terrell

Return to Talk About It