PLSA coming up

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

PLSA coming up

Postby GoesForIt on Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:38 am

Of course this week is the Honda Classic at PGA National Golf Club - Champions Course. My APCD course... with a huge, beneficial facelift by Glenn Braden.

The following week, Mark willing, will be 2 tournaments...

World Golf Championships-Dell Technologies Match Play (Using John Brooks' Austin Country Club, of course we will be stroke play)
Corales Puntacana Resort & Club Championship (Using Sage Vanni’s Cypress Point which is also an ocean course)
Last edited by GoesForIt on Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoesForIt

Re: PLSA coming up

Postby dick_burt on Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:05 am

It sure would be nice to add a match play mop to this site......
Similar to what was on the old kiss site...maybe...

****MARK****

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
D i c k Burt
dick_burt

Postby GoesForIt on Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:36 am

dick_burt wrote:It sure would be nice to add a match play mop to this site......
Similar to what was on the old kiss site...maybe...

****MARK****

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

I think everybody would love it. The fact that it's never been done makes me think it's not a possibility.

I think either the EURO or WRLD tour sort of faked it once by taking the stroke scores and comparing them with another... but my memory on it is vague.

I also seem to remember the EURO or WRLD tour did something with direct online play where we could play similar to Game Ranger.

That's about all I can input.
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:37 am

My mistake Austin Country Club is John Brooks authored.
GoesForIt

Postby RonnieSmith on Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:44 pm

One FYI to everybody before you get puzzled possibly. I believe for the Match Play tourney they reverse the 9's. I discovered this when playing a few practice holes.

Enjoyed the 24 foot breaking putt when trying out a hole on Medium (C)/ Fast(C)/Difficult pins. Managed to putt a 50 footer to 3 feet. Glad I still have some intuition!

Ronnie
RonnieSmith

Postby GoesForIt on Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:37 am

RonnieSmith wrote:One FYI to everybody before you get puzzled possibly. I believe for the Match Play tourney they reverse the 9's. I discovered this when playing a few practice holes.

Enjoyed the 24 foot breaking putt when trying out a hole on Medium (C)/ Fast(C)/Difficult pins. Managed to putt a 50 footer to 3 feet. Glad I still have some intuition!

Ronnie

I was working on Austin in the APCD and actually had a reversed 9s version. But it wasn't that far along and John Brooks' version is.

It would be nice, since he's got this version in production, if he would make a reversed 9 version. That's a simple matter. The problem going forward after that is maintaining two versions with future updates.

Personally, I'm most willing to leave that up to the author's discretion. I'm sure he's put in tons of hours.
GoesForIt

Postby RoyHiggi on Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:31 am

Austin Country Club...wow those greens. I think I had a fairly straight putt on a hole in round 4 :lol: :lol: :lol:

I dread to think how the greens will play there on challenging :shock:
RoyHiggi

Postby GoesForIt on Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:03 pm

RoyHiggi wrote:Austin Country Club...wow those greens. I think I had a fairly straight putt on a hole in round 4 :lol: :lol: :lol:

I dread to think how the greens will play there on challenging :shock:

Because I've never used the course before, I relied on the Author's EASY pin position and don't go beyond Moderate/Medium and Moderate(C)/Medium(C). Watching IRL, but greens are very bendy so I think the APCD author got it right.

I also did middle tees in rounds 2 and 3 again.
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:10 pm

I just went through in Practice mode using pins that will be in Rounds 2, 3 and 4. Only on Hole 13 in Round 2 is there a nasty one. In Moderate(C)/Medium(C), if you're directly below the hole it may roll back about 3 feet. Beyond that, I don't there will be a complaint.

I was able to shoot -5 in Champ in round #1 with only one bogey and 14 GIR.... 11 FIR... not good for Higgi, but okay for me.
GoesForIt

Postby gibby on Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:09 pm

any chance someone can send me the Austin.crz file. it appears I'm having zip folder problems.
Everything for LC is showing invalid zip files.
Common sense and common courtesy two things this world needs more of.
gibby

Postby GoesForIt on Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:20 pm

gibby wrote:any chance someone can send me the Austin.crz file. it appears I'm having zip folder problems.
Everything for LC is showing invalid zip files.

Send me an email address PM. I'll send it WeTransfer
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:19 am

I'm not sure what's going on. I went through the course in practice mode "putting only" with the pin positions I submitted for this tournament. I swear to you the degree of break is NOT what I'm seeing while playing the tournament.

I can't imagine were things went wrong. Try this if you don't believe me.

Play Golf -> Practice -> Austin Country Club -> Moderate(C)/Fast(C) -> Putting Only

Go through 4 times using pin positions 3, 2, 1 and 0. Let me know what you think.

Maybe things got shifted when going from what I submitted to what got posted for the tournament. Not blaming anyone, just do not understand.
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:13 pm

I just played Round #4. Even it had some pretty untenable pin positions.

I will say that watching the WGC IRL, those greens are murderous. I will go through and see if maybe some of the EASY pin positions have been mis-assigned and there are 4 per hole that are more reasonable.
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:36 pm

As I said Round #4 is the best of the lot. I've just finished going through the entire course again and EVERY pin position. It turns out the assignment of EASY MODERATE and DIFFICULT do not sync up.

Wait'll next year is what I can say and apologize. I will not say that if you're far from the hole you will not have a difficult putt, but if your within 10 feet, it will be imminently negotiable. There are 9 pin positions for every hole and some of the most fair positions are labeled MODERATE and DIFFICULT.

If the course is updated between now and next year, I'll do this entire routine again to make sure you get a playable course.

Live and learn.
GoesForIt

Postby pmgolf on Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:18 am

Doug, I've noticed through the years that there are quite a few courses where the easy - moderate - difficult decision wasn't made when the pins were planted. That's what drove me to examine every pin for tournament settings. Frequently, when I'm looking for an easier pin position I wind up choosing one that's labeled difficult, which is why I can't ever choose something like "all 3 pins" when 1 to 6 are supposed to be "easy".

Pete
pmgolf

Next

Return to Talk About It