Hole Outs

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Hole Outs

Postby RoyHiggi on Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:09 am

Is there a particular skill in holing approach shots or is down to pure luck? I am thinking playing in ammy mode with no wind. Even allowing for the greens and fairways not being flat would you expect a few approach shots to go in through a 4 round tournament?
I am going for it being more luck than anything else. I have had my fair share of luck but it feels strange at times when you can pepper the pin and get so incredibly close ( 1 inch less than an inch , hitting the pin , lipping out etc) but nothing drops and then possibly the next event a few could drop in one round!
RoyHiggi

Re: Hole Outs

Postby MasterMontgomery on Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:48 am

Good question Roy. I have noticed that Soft medium seems to give the most
hole outs. But, if you look at Dirks's last round in classic this week, well he had 3
in moderate medium. It just seem :) s to me that the game itself tends to dictate holeouts at times.
So great to watch the players reaction when you get one..

Doug :)
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Postby albatros on Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:43 am

i have imagined it is somewhat like: "when it rains .... it pours" i have that with double eagles and especially hole in one or hole outs from fairway. nothing for quite a spell and then all of a sudden a few close to each other.

i attribute it to the gremlins in my pewter messing with me :mrgreen:

albatros

a bouncing ball never sleeps
albatros

Postby Bassmaster on Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:48 pm

It seems like for me it comes and goes like a roller coaster going up and down. One week nothing is getting close and then another week you lipping out approach shots and then like Roy says you're getting them 1 inch or less. Then all of a sudden you get that tournament where you hole out on 4 of the par 5's.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby Blade on Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:23 pm

I have to agree good luck i.e. Hole Outs & HIO's come in fits & starts there's no real pattern they just happen.
So does Bad Luck, I haven't had a ball hit the edge of the Hole on a par 3 in probably a year or more & I've now had 2 in 3 Days both shots finished around 50 yards from the Green.

Cheers

David
Blade

Postby RoyHiggi on Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:36 pm

Blade wrote:I have to agree good luck i.e. Hole Outs & HIO's come in fits & starts there's no real pattern they just happen.
So does Bad Luck, I haven't had a ball hit the edge of the Hole on a par 3 in probably a year or more & I've now had 2 in 3 Days both shots finished around 50 yards from the Green.

Cheers

David

Good luck seems to be the answer. Touch wood I haven't had one of those horrors for a while.
So after hammering away in an ammmy event and not getting hole outs I get two today at Sawgrass. Definitely luck but the one on the 17th felt very sweet. :lol:
RoyHiggi

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:50 am

Blade wrote:I have to agree good luck i.e. Hole Outs & HIO's come in fits & starts there's no real pattern they just happen.

Cheers

David

Who mentioned hitting the edge of the hole :lol: :lol: Not a par 3 but an approach with a wedge. Boooinged away to 25 yards in the deep rough :evil: Got it back with a slam dunk a few holes later :lol: :lol:
RoyHiggi

Postby IBHackin on Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:58 am

Cheers

David

Had one of those evil hit the edge of the cup in the 3rd round of Ruler of the Rough.

Steve
Attachments
Just got porked.SHT
(3.25 KB) Downloaded 342 times
IBHackin

Postby Pitch on Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:19 am

.... so .... what was the secret ?

O
Pitch

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:26 pm

Pitch wrote:.... so .... what was the secret ?

O

As proven today its pure luck :lol: :lol: It was ammy so the chances are greater but to start with an ace on a par 4 first hole and on that particular hole is just a freak. But then 2 on par 3's where you always think you have a chance and an alby where the pin got in the way of a travelling ball and it somehow dropped. Definitely luck :shock:

I have had a very lucky day today but I bet it goes the other way in some rounds coming up
RoyHiggi

Return to Talk About It