APCD designer help

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

APCD designer help

Postby Mike Nicely Sr on Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:35 am

Does anyone know how I can get ahold of the patch for the designer I have the 1.05 version of the program. What is happening is I work on a course and it saves but when I open the folder to copy and paste into Links the course does not show up. I have a course I grew up on that is about 3/4 done and would love to get it finished. Very easy course to play but so much fun. Please help!!!!
Mike Nicely Sr

Re: APCD designer help

Postby Adelade on Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:44 pm

Im not familiar with the 1.05 number, I believe I have 1.5

Im not sure if your issue is related to version however, it sounds weird but one thought I have is that it might be the VirtualStore thing: On some modern Windows operating systems, if you install APCD (or Links) in its default location and dont run the game as Administrator, the programs send certain files to its VirtualStore location, which is commonly found at C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games , it is possible you'll find your saves there. AppData is often a hidden folder (google search if necessary). Otherwise Im not sure, but as I said earlier, you might find better help with issues regarding APCD in the linkcorner.org forum as the designer community is more active there than here.

APCD 1.5 can be found at (topmost download) https://www.linkscountryclub.com/arnold ... e-designer

Postby Mike Nicely Sr on Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:38 pm

Thanks Adelade .. working on it. It is installed in Programs 86x ... the designer is there but when I work on a course and try to open course folder the course does not appear. Getting frustrated trying to find the solution. But will not give up yet.
Mike Nicely Sr

Postby Mike Nicely Sr on Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:18 pm

I'm done trying to get the designer to work. I reinstalled several times and still same problems. I do work on a file and when I am done I copy new file into the game to see the work but the file does not open. I then go ack into designer and the file does not open. After several hours of work I end up losing all the work done. It shows the file but can not open it in eithe designer or game. Frustrated with this and figure it is not meant to be. The file I had saved from 10 years ago is now useless. That file had 5 months of work on it(daily 4 hours)
Maybe I can find a work around.
Went to Links Corner for help but I am inactive and cannot log in. Tried to send email to admin with no luck. I have exhausted all I can do
Mike Nicely Sr

Postby Steve Sullivan on Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:17 pm

Are you running APCD as Administrator Mike? I think what you are experiencing happens when you don't. If you right-click on the shortcut then click Run as Administrator and click yes.
Steve Sullivan

Postby Mike Nicely Sr on Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:15 pm

Thanks for the input Steve
I installed it as Admin and also run in compatibility mode. I have to give it permission to open. Also I noticed that it says unknown publisher when I do open it.
Taking my pc to a good friend who has his own company repairing computers and such. He says he will try his best to trouble shoot the problem. While he has my pc he will install another 1TB HD I have. So at least it won't be an unneccasary trip to west side of Cleveland.
Mike Nicely Sr

Postby pmgolf on Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:25 pm

Stupid question, Mike. Have you done a "Validate and Save"?

Pete
pmgolf

Postby Adelade on Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:19 pm

What about running Links as Admin? Have you successfully gotten Links to recognize other courses? Because if not, possibly Links might be looking for courses only in the VirtualStore, and not recognizing those in the "normal" COURSES folder?

When you describe APCD not being able to open a course after you've moved the file location, that is as expected if you try to open it directly from the quick-selection of courses opened in APCD recently, try to open it by clicking "Open..." instead and browsing to its new location.

Another vague thought, along the lines of pmgolf's comment, is that you can only open courses that arent fully finished with 18 playable holes in Practice Mode, I dont think they show up at all in Links' course lists within 'New Round' or 'Quick Play' for example.

Postby Mike Nicely Sr on Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:00 am

I run both Links and Designer as Admin and both are running in Window XP compatibility mode. I copy the file from the designer folder. When in designer I open the course file from the tree. I also tried opening from the folder of both. I lost all work done on my course and the file will not open in designer and cannot be found in course list in Links now. I reloaded the original file and now that will not open either in the designer.
I uninstalled the designer several times using different permissions. So I thought to try a new course, I worked several hours designing one hole. Nothing too complicated. Stock textures and no blends. I opened it in Links and it worked. Gut when I went back to designer and try to do more work on it I could not open the file.
Ran a virus check and all good here. Also ran troubleshooter that Windows has. No help.
Would really love to get to the bottom of this because the one course I put aside years ago is so close to finish line. My childhood course I learned to play real golf on. I wanted to make it a memorial course to my friend who was Head Pro and Manager there. He passed away to cancer a few years ago and I miss him. We became best friends because of our love for Golf and both of us were members of AA for 29 years together.
Praying I can resolve this and get back to enjoying designing and Golf on Links soon. Man does my snap [censored] right now :lol:
Thanks for the replies it means a lot .. I remember how great this community was in helping each other. It hasn't changed and that's great to see.
Mike Nicely Sr

Postby pmgolf on Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:17 am

It might help to try and open a course in the APCD that others can open, like Sinsanianeck Beta, which is one I was looking at recently. If you can open it, do a "Save As" to some other name, plant a tree in the fairway on #1 and do a "Validate and save", Put the renamed file in Links and try to open it. What happens?

Pete
pmgolf

Postby Adelade on Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:22 am

It all sounds very odd indeed.... This part:
Mike Nicely Sr wrote:So I thought to try a new course, I worked several hours designing one hole. Nothing too complicated. Stock textures and no blends. I opened it in Links and it worked. Gut when I went back to designer and try to do more work on it I could not open the file.

-just shouldnt happen. I cant see any reason for this happening except either APCD being faulty in some really strange way (and you've already tried reinstalling...) or if you're missing something in the process of opening the file.

I left some thoughts on the LC forum.

Postby Mike Nicely Sr on Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:57 am

Good news.. I did a fresh install of designer. But before I did that I removed all files in course folder and got rid of any of those files on main HD. After the install I put original file from back up HD into the designer. It opened and allowed me to work on it. Did a validate and save. But first I went to course properties and renamed the course. After the validate and save it gave me the playable window again. I put the course into Links and check on work I had done. It was there.. woohoo... then for the biggie... went back into designer and loaded the file... it opened and allowed me to do more work .. which I saved again and put into Links .. viola it worked again. Thanks for all the help ... I think the problem was the course file did not have a name in course properties but once I changed that it seemed to work... problem I have now is Links has saved all the course files I made for this one and will not remove them from the add list...but really don't care at this point. Just so glad to be able to start back on this one. Really need a refresher on seam blending and mapping .. which I plan on viewing the videos on Links Corner forum.
Again I appreciate the help. I am glad to see this community still comes to help it's members. Great feeling to be back.
Once I get some more work done I will try to upload a playable file and allow members here and at Links Corner to have a run at it so you all can give me advice on what needs to be done and also to see if it is playable for public use.
Mike Nicely Sr

Postby Mike Nicely Sr on Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:39 am

Need some help with a few things. First I can not remember what size the splash screens need to be and also course logo size.
Also I had to delete plant library I tried to add because it caused crashes when trying to validate and save.
I have decided to just do basic foresting and planting on a course I had been working on years ago. Could not add all the Houses and extras I made for the the course so I am going with the stock Plantings.
I have a version ready for upload so you can all play this track that I grew up on. It is an easy play in Links but it holds many memories for me. Once I figure out splash and logo sizes I will try to lock the course and upload here.
Also I tried to lock the course to see if that is working but it doesn't show up in folder I pick...hmmm.
Hope to have it ready by January 1 2021.
Thanks for help in advance.
BTW my game is so bad I haven't wanted to play in any events since I sucked in the first couple I played :oops:
Mike Nicely Sr

Postby MasterMontgomery on Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:39 am

The splash is 1280 1024.
The logo is 256 256.

Doug
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Postby Mike Nicely Sr on Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:31 pm

Thank you Master Montgomery :D
Mike Nicely Sr