The game kicked me to windows

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

The game kicked me to windows

Postby PirataCuenca on Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:02 am

Hi all!

I've had that problem twice, playing the (Chal)Wasatch Open. The first time when I re-entered the game it gave me the chance of continue playing, but not the second time. After that, the web gave me the option of being requalified with 2 penalty strokes, however I was playing the 8th or the 9th hole and I had to re-start playing the round again

It's so frustrating. There is something to do with that problem? When I play offline against the AI the game doesn't kick me to windows as frequent as when I'm playing online tournaments.

Cheers!
PirataCuenca

Re: The game kicked me to windows

Postby PirataCuenca on Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:36 pm

That's what I mean.

It's so frustrating when you have played most of the round and you have to restart it again with 2 penalty strokes.

Edit: this time, the game gave me 6 penalty strokes.

I don't know if there is any advice for trying it not to happen. It happened to me in the Master, in (chal) the masters and in (Chan) Wasatch. The game kicked me to windows and I was unable to continue playing without being disqualified/requalified with the consequent penalty strokes
Attachments
image (6).png
image (6).png (235.1 KB) Viewed 5856 times
image (5).png
image (5).png (72.44 KB) Viewed 5884 times
PirataCuenca

Postby Mississippi on Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:37 pm

If you are disconnected for any reason the Links tour gives you one free resume per tourney. Afterwards it issues 2 stroke penalties for each disconnect up to 3 or six strokes. Next step is disqualification. The tour doesn't care if the round was ended by user anger, loss of power, or links crashing. 2 steps that have proven to help on game crashes are to turn off sound commentary and to play offline. the following picture illustrates how to play offline.
download/file.php?id=8165

There are many reasons links will crash... hardware issues, software issues, program interference etc. We know nothing about your computer or your isp so we wouldn't even venture a guess.
Mississippi

Postby PirataCuenca on Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:33 pm

Thanks a lot for all the help you give me on your replies. I'm new in the game and I'm full of doubts.

I like whatching the table betwen holes when playing, although if that's the solution, I will turn it offline

I assume it's enought with clicking on "offline" playing, or should I disconect my pc from the internet? I'm asking becouse of that message I show in the screenshot

Cheers!
Attachments
image (7).jpg
image (7).jpg (124.13 KB) Viewed 5822 times
PirataCuenca

Postby pmgolf on Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:35 pm

You don't need to disconnect from the internet to play offline.

Pete
pmgolf

Postby Mississippi on Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:51 pm

We are trying to grow the community not shrink it so ask as many questions as you need to. Pete steered you in the right direction on the disconnect question. Just hit the ok button. The only way to find out if it is the solution is to try it, play a few rounds and if you don't crash then you have your answer.
Mississippi

Postby Bassmaster on Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:05 pm

For the life of me I cannot remember where it is to do this but there a place in the links game program to where you match the game up to your computer. I remember people always saying to set it to Windows 7 regardless of your operating system. Maybe somebody remembers this.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby Mississippi on Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:48 pm

Bassmaster wrote:For the life of me I cannot remember where it is to do this but there a place in the links game program to where you match the game up to your computer. I remember people always saying to set it to Windows 7 regardless of your operating system. Maybe somebody remembers this.

To access that one would right click their links icon and choose properties, there are 6 tabs at the top, click the compatibility tab.
Mississippi

Postby pmgolf on Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:54 pm

After you do what Mississippi said, you will get this properties box. Click the Compatibility Mode checkbox and select "Windows 7" as you see here, and also click the checkbox for "Run this program as an Administrator", then click the "Apply" button.

s_2103.jpg
s_2103.jpg (60.83 KB) Viewed 5767 times

Pete
pmgolf

Postby PirataCuenca on Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:09 am

Thank you very much to all of you.

Let's give it a try
PirataCuenca

Postby Bassmaster on Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:26 am

Mississippi wrote:
Bassmaster wrote:For the life of me I cannot remember where it is to do this but there a place in the links game program to where you match the game up to your computer. I remember people always saying to set it to Windows 7 regardless of your operating system. Maybe somebody remembers this.

To access that one would right click their links icon and choose properties, there are 6 tabs at the top, click the compatibility tab.

Thanks, I knew it was something like that. I need to write this down.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby Bassmaster on Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:18 pm

Kind of funny but my house computer with Windows 7 is set to XP service pack 3. My laptop with Windows 10 in it is set to Windows 7.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby Mississippi on Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:43 pm

Bassmaster wrote:Kind of funny but my house computer with Windows 7 is set to XP service pack 3. My laptop with Windows 10 in it is set to Windows 7.

I have windows 7 pro and don't use the compatibility setting at all with links, never have going back to win98.
Mississippi

Return to Talk About It