Off snap 3W

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Off snap 3W

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:32 am

For anyone who has tried this shot I would recommend aiming very wide of the pin :oops: :oops: Never a good idea to leave the aim at the pin and watch the ball sail into a different county especially at Augusta :lol:
RoyHiggi

Re: Off snap 3W

Postby KunkleMan on Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:23 am

Be interesting to know what it is and when to use it.
KunkleMan

Postby RoyHiggi on Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:50 am

KunkleMan wrote:Be interesting to know what it is and when to use it.

Apologies. It's when you have a shot of say 290 yards ( no wind) A 3 wood norm is about 260 and if you thrash it maybe 270 ( depending on the landing bounce etc) But you can make a 3W go 290 by aiming waay left or right and missing the snap early or late buy a LOT.

It tends to have a lot more roll out on landing. You need to play it quite a bit and experience will help with how far wide you have to aim but it can easily be 50 yards or more wide of the pin. I have no idea how far I aim ( only on pro mode) but just stick the marker out there somewhere and pray.

I would say be careful what dangers are out there on the side you are aiming as sometimes , for me anyway, I don't miss the snap by anywhere close to enough and end up in trouble. But there have been enough times where a seemingly unreachable hole can be reached and an eagle made.

The one I referred to was the 8th at Augusta. I thought i had aimed waaaaay right and missed the snap early by a lot. only to find I hadnt aimed as I thought and ball went somewhere OB. Had to rehit and got pin high (290 plus I am sure) albeit off the green but chipped in for a par.
RoyHiggi

Postby Mississippi on Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:01 am

It is a term that was introduced by Lacers about 20 years ago when he discovered that by missing the 6 o'clock snap by a quarter inch or better added 20-30 yds to his shot. He mainly used it @ Mesa Rosa due to the fact that the ball travels 40-50 yds left or right depending on which side of the snap one misses on, and that's one of the few courses with wide enough fairways and no trees to impede the shot. The problem with the shot is that the results vary greatly one shot to the next.
Mississippi

Postby RoyHiggi on Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:54 am

Mississippi wrote:

It is a term that was introduced by Lacers about 20 years ago when he discovered that by missing the 6 o'clock snap by a quarter inch or better added 20-30 yds to his shot. He mainly used it @ Mesa Rosa due to the fact that the ball travels 40-50 yds left or right depending on which side of the snap one misses on, and that's one of the few courses with wide enough fairways and no trees to impede the shot. The problem with the shot is that the results vary greatly one shot to the next.

It was indeed Lacers who "found" it and passed it on. And its not just wide fairways you need but plenty of space on the side you are aiming where there are no trees overhanging or any kind of danger really
RoyHiggi

Postby KunkleMan on Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:35 am

Thanks for the explanation. I'll see what happens in practice mode. Have used driver except on downhill lies with some success, but have to pure it.
KunkleMan

Postby Mississippi on Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:50 pm

@ Augusta it appears the rough works even better than a offsnap 3w :lol:

who needs an offsnap 3w.SHT
(8.13 KB) Downloaded 399 times
Mississippi

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:29 am

Mississippi wrote:@ Augusta it appears the rough works even better than a offsnap 3w :lol:

who needs an offsnap 3w.SHT

Excellent .Yes there are times ( not usually played for) where being in the rough can work very well with the extra roll you can get. Especially on challenging as the roll can be crazy in the right conditions but you do need an open road to the green.
RoyHiggi

Return to Talk About It