PLSA,CLSC. All rounds with wind.

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

PLSA,CLSC. All rounds with wind.

Postby MasterMontgomery on Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:11 pm

I thought we had been down this path a while ago.
What has caused all rounds to have wind.
Very time consuming for me. May be fine with others

Doug :?
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Re: PLSA,CLSC. All rounds with wind.

Postby Mississippi on Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:48 pm

Here is a great cheese shop to go with that whine :)
https://www.formaggiokitchen.com/cheese
Mississippi

Postby Blade on Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:52 pm

Mississippi wrote:Here is a great cheese shop to go with that whine :)
https://www.formaggiokitchen.com/cheese

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Blade

Postby Crowter on Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:15 pm

I see DougMM has no complaints. What a nice guy he is. :evil:
Crowter

Postby JackRussellTerror on Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:12 pm

MasterMontgomery wrote:What has caused all rounds to have wind.

sorry, but i agree with Doug :wink:
i really enjoy an event with at least 2 calm rounds. Its just me ........

so i might take off in Flight this week :D
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby Pitch on Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:00 am

...... isnt allmost any other event 4 x no wind ?
Pitch

Postby Drpinseeker on Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:59 am

I put up one tournament a week. 4 no wind rounds, moderate pin positions, real courses. 1 requal. No penalty.
Drpinseeker

Postby Mississippi on Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:04 pm

Crowter wrote:I see DougMM has no complaints. What a nice guy he is. :evil:

They both don't seem to mind in the pro plsa, no wonder its very time consuming :roll:
Mississippi

Postby GoesForIt on Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:21 am

MasterMontgomery wrote:I thought we had been down this path a while ago.
What has caused all rounds to have wind.

For PLSA, I believe there has been one GUSTY round (last week) in that last several months and every tournament has had at least one NO WIND round.

BTW, most of the tournaments on the Pro Tour have wind, and sometimes it's gusty. On Hawaiian island courses, you could expect windy or gusty every day. It's part of the game.
GoesForIt

Postby Drpinseeker on Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:47 am

While I understand your thinking that you want to make the game realistic, I would point out that we are not physically outdoors on a golf course. We are sitting in front of computers. On a golf course I’ve never experienced when it was breezy out, the wind picking up and dropping and switching directions as frequently as it does in this game. I’ve never experienced the golf ball hitting above the hole on a downslope with spin on the ball with soft greens and rolling back an inch and stopping, or the ball hitting before the pin in the same conditions with the same spin and spinning off the green. I’ve never experienced on the golf course in windy conditions the wind switching with the frequency it does on the game. I’ve never experienced on the golf course with firm and fast conditions a ball stopping in the middle of a downslope when it should have rolled another 30 yards to a flat spot in the fairway. I love this game and will play in these conditions if I have the time but what I’m trying to point out is...this is just a game and it has its quirks that aren’t realistic. It’s fun to play and try to figure these things out but if you don’t have the time to devote 2 or 3 hours to a tournament that has 4 wind rounds then you aren’t going to score well, unless your Dirk or Roy lol. I’ve made this request many times but I’ll ask again, if you like playing theses conditions and I do if I have the time, can’t we have them on pro and set amateur up without 4 wind rounds? Is it too difficult to do this? I’m not trying to be difficult I’m genuinely curious if this can be done? Have the PSLA pro tournament with 4 wind rounds and the same tournament in amateur 2 wind and 2 non wind? Or is that too much work?
Drpinseeker

Postby GoesForIt on Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:11 am

Drpinseeker wrote:While I understand your thinking that you want to make the game realistic, I would point out that we are not physically outdoors on a golf course. We are sitting in front of computers. On a golf course I’ve never experienced when it was breezy out, the wind picking up and dropping and switching directions as frequently as it does in this game. I’ve never experienced the golf ball hitting above the hole on a downslope with spin on the ball with soft greens and rolling back an inch and stopping, or the ball hitting before the pin in the same conditions with the same spin and spinning off the green. I’ve never experienced on the golf course in windy conditions the wind switching with the frequency it does on the game. I’ve never experienced on the golf course with firm and fast conditions a ball stopping in the middle of a downslope when it should have rolled another 30 yards to a flat spot in the fairway. I love this game and will play in these conditions if I have the time but what I’m trying to point out is...this is just a game and it has its quirks that aren’t realistic. It’s fun to play and try to figure these things out but if you don’t have the time to devote 2 or 3 hours to a tournament that has 4 wind rounds then you aren’t going to score well, unless your Dirk or Roy lol. I’ve made this request many times but I’ll ask again, if you like playing theses conditions and I do if I have the time, can’t we have them on pro and set amateur up without 4 wind rounds? Is it too difficult to do this? I’m not trying to be difficult I’m genuinely curious if this can be done? Have the PSLA pro tournament with 4 wind rounds and the same tournament in amateur 2 wind and 2 non wind? Or is that too much work?

First of all, I wish MasterMontgomery had left PLSA out of it. Like I said, I've only used GUSTY once in months. I've not used F(C)/F(C) (which means F/F for non-challenging) for months. I had it programmed for the US Open this week, but mark used M(C)/F(C). It is, after all, the US Open, know for speedy greens.

I disagree with...

"I’ve never experienced on the golf course in windy conditions the wind switching with the frequency it does on the game."

... On any courses I've played, while there's usually a prevailing wind, the trees and terrain often channel that wind in different directions during the course of a round.

The Arnold Palmer Course Designer (APCD) allows the author to set the maximum wind speed and the variance in that wind. Good designers study the IRL course location to see what the prevailing winds are. I do this and generally narrow up the variance to about 25% which does keep the winds steadier.

That being said, maybe in the dog days of August you might find a course somewhere with NO WIND for a portion of a round, but it's rare and far rarer than BREEZY. Desert and Island courses are notorious for WINDY conditions but I still don't use WINDY ever... even though it would be realistic.

So, for PLSA, I will continue to try to mimic the Pro Tour and I will make concessions to at least one round with NO WIND, never more than one round of GUSTY and WINDY never.

Regarding "Or is that too much work?" I'll say my main work is finding pin positions that are fair for conditions. For a new course, it takes me about 4 hours or more to feel comfortable that they're good. This past year, it was very time-consuming because I had to (re)do every course on the PLSA (they had been so unfair in the past especially for those playing challenging conditions). It will likely not take as much time this year... just a few schedule quirks or courses that I think are more suitable when the actual course is not available.
Attachments
wind.JPG
wind.JPG (14.04 KB) Viewed 9797 times
GoesForIt

Postby RoyHiggi on Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:34 am

This will sound like I am having a go and it's not meant to be but still remain surprised that more people don't seem to like the challenge this game can offer and just prefer the easiest of easy conditions.

As I said it's not a criticism and I know people play this game for fun and can play what the h.e.ll they want but i will be forever surprised. With windy rounds is it mainly the time it takes to play a round or the difficulty of scoring "well"
RoyHiggi

Postby GoesForIt on Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:18 am

RoyHiggi wrote:This will sound like I am having a go and it's not meant to be but still remain surprised that more people don't seem to like the challenge this game can offer and just prefer the easiest of easy conditions.

As I said it's not a criticism and I know people play this game for fun and can play what the h.e.ll they want but i will be forever surprised. With windy rounds is it mainly the time it takes to play a round or the difficulty of scoring "well"

Glad somebody else said it.

My goal with LINKS, and thus the tours on LSPN is to be able to play about the same scores as the pros on the Pro Tour shoot. So, for me that's Champ... for now. I really need to do a lot of putting practice without the grid in Elite mode and move that direction. Occasionally I get really hot in Champ mode and score in double-digits under par, but it's rare. It was really rare on Pete's WT courses... less rare on Steve's EURO courses. I'm in a pretty good spot for me.

I see the guys playing Pro and non-challenging shooting -HUGE and they're closely bunched at the end so I can see the competition there. I'm sure it's fun for them and that's great. For a tour director, it's impossible to make a challenging course for Champ/Elite that isn't a cake walk for Pro non-challenging. I've tried my best to find a middle ground.

One other thing. For PLSA, I try to use few if any FICTIONAL courses. Some are very good and Steve on the EURO picks the best of the best. I have used them on occasion. But it's been my experience that there are many, many FICTIONAL courses that are tricked up to make them especially difficult and that just won't go with me on the PLSA.

Especially maddening to me are FICTIONAL courses (the only place you'll find this on a large scale) are those that put multiple bunkers right in the middle of the fairway at driving distance. I can see it on a hole or two, but some are darned near every par-4 and par-5.

If I ever design a FICTIONAL, I think my focus will be on fairway side bunkers where you have to go past 12 O'Clock to hit over them and where the fairway narrows. I would also try to make one that was fair, but made the player think as he stood on the tee of every hole. Steve Sullivan does an wonder job with his FICTIONALs in that regard.

There are times when I would like to use a mix of challenging and non-challenging conditions (ex: Moderate/Medium(C)). Steve does this on the EURO and it's pretty cool. PLSA has traditionally been non-challenging for both and challenging for both allowing players to choose. Maybe I could talk to Mark about making a shift so you would only see one US Open rather than two. Not sure how he'd feel about it.
GoesForIt

Postby Drpinseeker on Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:57 am

Well you obviously know more than I do about golfing. It doesn’t really matter because your word is the last word. We’ve had a few go arounds and it’s not worth it to me. I’ve dealt with many people in my life that feel that the way they see things is the correct way and will not listen to others opinions. So you have it King goes for it. Your not worth the fight!
Drpinseeker

Postby GoesForIt on Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:21 pm

Drpinseeker wrote:Well you obviously know more than I do about golfing. It doesn’t really matter because your word is the last word. We’ve had a few go arounds and it’s not worth it to me. I’ve dealt with many people in my life that feel that the way they see things is the correct way and will not listen to others opinions. So you have it King goes for it. Your not worth the fight!

Sorry you can't have a conversation about it. Did you read the entire post?... especially the part about the part about the difficulty of making it fair for ALL? For what it's worth, I do try.

In all seriousness, any member can talk to Mark about setting up their own tour. Like CLSC, PLSA, WRLD or EURO, you can have courses and conditions exactly to your liking.
GoesForIt

Next

Return to Talk About It