Updating 2001 courses

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Updating 2001 courses

Postby Acrilix on Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:14 am

I've recently returned to Links 2003 after a 7 year hiatus and I've just found my LSPN forum login details.I posted this on Links Corner a week ago:

"As I am currently out of practise with the APCD I've decided for the moment to focus on updating 2001 user created courses again, rather than starting new courses from scratch. I did 4 of these the last time I was playing Links 2003 and, apart from the crashes caused by the presence of 2001 2D objects, I found working on them a fun diversion from actual course design.

I'm currently updating Steve Pope's Canyon Hills. I chose this because of the mostly excellent planting on the course and the nicely constructed mesh, which makes updating far easier. So far I've added ambient sound, 1024 textures, additional planting, and seam blended most of the course (except bunkers, waste areas and cliffs). I will be adding hole previews, crowds and tournament objects when I finish the seam blending.

There are some very good 2001 courses that get little to no play these days simply because they have the limitations of the 2001 APCD, so, if anyone has any recommendations for 2001 user created courses that deserve a makeover then feel free to mention them in this thread. I'll then add them to my list of courses to check out as future update candidates. Be aware though that some courses may be locked and can't be updated. Others have meshes that are badly constructed making them difficult to work with, and some may need to be completely re-planted and I'm unlikely to choose these for an update."

Someone recommended Crouching Beast on Links Corner - although it was released as an early 2003 course it still used 2001 textures with no seam blending or hole previews, and pins that are pretty much unplayable for the mod 1.07. I've decided that this will be my next update project, but after that I have no particular course in mind, so as I said on Links Corner, any suggestions can be posted below and I'll add them to my list and check to see if they are suitable for an update in the future.

All the best to everyone who's still playing this great game...... Lez
:)
Acrilix

Re: Updating 2001 courses

Postby Acrilix on Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:33 am

My update of Canyon Hills is now finished and available on Links Corner.
Acrilix

Return to Talk About It