Elwood, Lacers, an Roy

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Re: Elwood, Lacers, an Roy

Postby RoyHiggi on Sat May 09, 2020 8:53 am

LACERS wrote:I wished you lived closer Roy because I would give you my monitor and have you set it in Windows to 144Hz refresh in your Links resolution and you will see a remarkable improvement in snap consistency. If you are playing at 60 or 75 Hz refresh rate, then dang, you are the best Links Player ever! Playing at 144hz will knock out all your late snapping. Just google Gaming and Monitor Refresh Rates. They will all say playing any game at 144hz will improve your gaming verses 60 or 75hz. Most monitors are 60 or 75, but a gaming Monitor is much higher, some I seen go to 200Hz, but I think 144hz seems good enough, meter is silky smooth at 144 hz.

Thanks George but I don't speak greek :lol: I havent a clue what refresh rate I am playing at and I am sure if I googled what you suggested I wouldn't understand that either.

It's just a question of playing a game I get a load of enjoyment from. That includes plenty of ups and downs within rounds and from round to round, event to event. My snap rate at the moment is poor and probably less than 50% and it's pretty frustrating especially when it means missing shortish putts ( playing elite) Maybe tomorrow it will be better but I will still be back giving it a go.
RoyHiggi

Postby LACERS on Sat May 09, 2020 8:57 am

RoyHiggi wrote:Just get out there and play George.

Months to sort out windy!! Just play it like the rest of us and take what you get. If you have sorted out the snap it shouldn't be too bad. But it's funny you mention the windy change as when I mentioned it I don't think anyone agreed there had been a change or certainly nothing significant

I cant take the math I used to, I'll lose track too easily.

My breezy chart was made from Windy data/chart where I play breezy at 1/2 the strength of Windy. its faster and easier for me to cut things in 1/2 than to multiply by 2 or 3. Its been that way even Links 98-2000 was breezy was 1/2 the strengh of windy. And this new Windy is like 1.5 times stronger as I was hitting from 2 dot before since that old Windy meter liked to be at 2 dot strength, and now the wind never drops below 3 dot, and these fractional multipliers to convert my memorized setups would be too complex to keep doing in the head as I would like, a lot of mistakes would probably be made where I need to be close to perfect everytime.
AMD Ryzen 5 3400G CPU overclocked to 4.4 Ghz
Asus Tuf Gaming B450 m-atx motherboard
XPG 512gb M.2 SSD
XPG 16gb DDR4-3000 RAM
Radeon VEGA 11 Graphics
Asus VG249QGR 24" 144hz IPS monitor
PNY USB 3.1 256GB flash drive
Coolermaster Masterbox Lite 3 case
LACERS

Postby Pitch on Sat May 09, 2020 9:13 am

Hey ...
Would you please go and beat those deaf and dumb people ?
Love the game ( still ) but why people are mute when adressed i’m too old
to understand.

George
Ill maIl you my windy chart .. naah ill give to you here
wind comes from left .. aim left. strong wind from left. .. aim more left !
wind from right is the same ..

And Roy , you can have my snap ... its a wonder. sometimes it equals out wind by itself !

Now you ll be ready for competing ...

Personally Im just glad my puter stopped freezing after a split , remove and putt back dust cleaning .

Stay safe .. in every way .
O
Pitch

Postby LACERS on Sat May 09, 2020 9:32 am

Here is one Crazy thing about a Slow Meter. I actually built a computer that had a fully adjustable swingmeter! The Video adapter was built into the motherboard, a AMD KM133a chipset which used similar performing graphics chipset to the ATI Rage 128. The AMD Processor was overclockable so I knew the Processor would drive the Video speed so what I did was start computer at Stock CPU speed playing at 1024X768X32 and the swingmeter was slow, taking 1.89 seconds total time between first click and last click. I overclocked the CPU in 25 Mhz intervals and that lowered the swingmeter speed by .02 of a second each adjustment so I was able to get the swingmeter back to normal 1.63 speed at maximum overclocking. I never used the computer, built it for my mom but was curious about having a computer with fully adjustable swingmeter! Oh BTW, all my past Links 2003 years I played with a meter speed of 1.72 seconds. .09 slower than most or about 3-4 stops on the meter! Now am at 1.63. When my mom passed a couple years ago, I got that computer back! but Like OLE's computer, its covered with dust!
XPG 512gb M.2 SSD
XPG 16gb DDR4-3000 RAM
Radeon VEGA 11 Graphics
LACERS

Postby Harpo on Sat May 09, 2020 1:50 pm

One thing that I agree on that Lacers said is that Windy is a lot stronger than it used to be. You are lucky if it drops down to the third mark.

Other than that, just get out there and play George. So you don't take first place. Don't play, then don't complain about why you aren't.
Last edited by Harpo on Sat May 09, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
Harpo

Postby RoyHiggi on Sat May 09, 2020 2:50 pm

LACERS wrote:Here is one Crazy thing about a Slow Meter. I actually built a computer that had a fully adjustable swingmeter! The Video adapter was built into the motherboard, a AMD KM133a chipset which used similar performing graphics chipset to the ATI Rage 128. The AMD Processor was overclockable so I knew the Processor would drive the Video speed so what I did was start computer at Stock CPU speed playing at 1024X768X32 and the swingmeter was slow, taking 1.89 seconds total time between first click and last click. I overclocked the CPU in 25 Mhz intervals and that lowered the swingmeter speed by .02 of a second each adjustment so I was able to get the swingmeter back to normal 1.63 speed at maximum overclocking. I never used the computer, built it for my mom but was curious about having a computer with fully adjustable swingmeter! Oh BTW, all my past Links 2003 years I played with a meter speed of 1.72 seconds. .09 slower than most or about 3-4 stops on the meter! Now am at 1.63. When my mom passed a couple years ago, I got that computer back! but Like OLE's computer, its covered with dust!

I need a better translator for this one :lol: A fully adaptable swingmeter. You are hilarious George
RoyHiggi

Postby RoyHiggi on Sat May 09, 2020 2:52 pm

Harpo wrote:One thing that I agree on that Lacers said is that Windy is a lot stronger than it used to be. You are lucky if it drops down to the third mark.

Other than that, just get out there and play George. So you don't take first place. Don't play, then done complain about why you aren't.

Amen to that. Charts charts charts. Put them all in the bin and enjoy playing
RoyHiggi

Postby Adelade on Sat May 09, 2020 3:42 pm

Yeah playing golf with charts, numeric calculations, consistent snaps, no wind and flat lies sounds really fun to me :wink: To each their own I guess, but I sure think a lot of people are missing out on the real charm of golf.

I shall admit that I play the math in my head too for putt length on green speeds Im not very used to, but I make sure to keep it not too accurate and spend as little time as possible on it. Hoping to completely eliminate it eventually, much more fun when fully going on feeling. And if I ever start getting consistent in any area of the game I will find ways to make things more difficult. Again, to each their own, maybe some enjoy trying to beat the game to a pulp as much as possible, but yea a lot of things said in this thread I found rather hilarious.

Postby LACERS on Sat May 09, 2020 8:23 pm

I am waiting on my new monitor to come. I been having issues getting Links to run in the right graphics settings because my Monitor was designed to pair with Nvidia Graphics cards and I just built a new computer 3 months ago that uses AMD Graphics. Since Links cannot run my desktop resolution, and that DIrectX doesnt let you force refresh rate on monitor, I get random refresh rates each time I load Links which causes me to load Links 7 or 8 times before I can get the correct Refresh rate of 144. I hope to solve by getting a monitor designed to work with AMD graphics cards to where I be able to get the same refresh rate everytime I load Links, so I wont have that annoying ghosting of the swingmeter at low refresh rates, causing 3-4 stops of snap lag in the meter.
XPG 512gb M.2 SSD
XPG 16gb DDR4-3000 RAM
Radeon VEGA 11 Graphics
LACERS

Postby Pitch on Sat May 09, 2020 9:29 pm

George . you are playing with drunkbobwetpanty ? seems to work okay.
...who else would putt up VGA finals from 2001 ? :lol:
nice shooting btw ,,,
O
Pitch

Postby RoyHiggi on Sun May 10, 2020 2:17 am

Pitch wrote:George . you are playing with drunkbobwetpanty ? seems to work okay.
nice shooting btw ,,,
O

I am still unsure if he is 3 or 4 of the players who pop in for an event or two :lol:
RoyHiggi

Postby LACERS on Wed May 13, 2020 10:24 am

I messed that up, needed Oakmont for R2
XPG 512gb M.2 SSD
XPG 16gb DDR4-3000 RAM
Radeon VEGA 11 Graphics
LACERS

Postby LACERS on Wed May 13, 2020 2:24 pm

RoyHiggi wrote:
Pitch wrote:George . you are playing with drunkbobwetpanty ? seems to work okay.
nice shooting btw ,,,
O

I am still unsure if he is 3 or 4 of the players who pop in for an event or two :lol:

I am SlowThatMeter, but that was created because my LACERS account got corrupt when I changed Email address and needed Ole Miss to fix. So I got to beat Elwood without him knowing it, beat him by 1 at Bighorn...
XPG 512gb M.2 SSD
XPG 16gb DDR4-3000 RAM
Radeon VEGA 11 Graphics
LACERS

Postby RoyHiggi on Wed May 13, 2020 2:29 pm

LACERS wrote:I messed that up, needed Oakmont for R2

?
RoyHiggi

Postby RoyHiggi on Wed May 13, 2020 2:29 pm

LACERS wrote:
RoyHiggi wrote:
nice shooting btw ,,,
O

I am SlowThatMeter, but that was created because my LACERS account got corrupt when I changed Email address and needed Ole Miss to fix. So I got to beat Elwood without him knowing it, beat him by 1 at Bighorn...

???
RoyHiggi

PreviousNext

Return to Talk About It