Southern Hills

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Southern Hills

Postby Giller on Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:38 pm

Well, there was a discussion last week about the toughness of Muirfield Village, so I'll start the one on Southern Hills....Just Brutal.
Cruising along in the first round 6 under after 9 and then I looked up on 15 to find myself 2 under and fighting to stay even.
There's not a lot of obvious trouble around, it just kinda sneaks up on ya and with some of the greens, that putt for bogey can easily turn into a double.
Now for sure I didn't play the course too well, but did anyone else struggle with distance and the side slopes here? There were at least 2 shots per round that left me shaking my head where the ball didn't carry nearly as much as I thought it should or where it took off big right or left from benign looking slopes or stayed fairly straight off others.
Maybe it was just me. This one tops out as the most frustrating of the series so far though and is definitely up for grabs this week Larry, and you yourself are in the hunt after round 1.
Giller

Southern Hills

Postby mike58 on Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:37 am

Boy do I agree. This is really tough track. I'm not the worlds best Linkster, but I don't think I have ever played two rounds without a single birdie. I have never had so many shots land in the fairway and end up in the rough. Distances seem off on this course, even the greens. But, I like a challenge, so I'll keep playing it.
mike58

Postby BirdieExpress on Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:47 am

I'm no world [censored] (b e a t e r was censored?) either, but I had pretty good snap the first 2 rounds and still hit less than 50% fairways. I was 2 feet into the deep stuff too many times to count. My up and down game has been good enough to keep me around par, but it could have gone the other way just as easy. Watch out for caddies over there!! They can't tell the difference between rough and heavy rough!
BirdieExpress

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:48 pm

i've been playing this interesting model for years (ross mckenzie built it with the 2k1apcd), and had been dying to try it out as a tour venue. in the real world, southern hills is located in tulsa and is a masterwork of perry maxwell, otherwise noted for the initial nine at prairie dunes and who was the greens consultant who designed the greens at augusta national. i don't think i'll have much more luck at southern hills than the rest of the guys before it's over. they've held three u.s. opens and at least three pgas here, and even-par has always been a pretty good score.

we have two more interesting (of "moderate" difficulty) american venues over the next two weeks, and then it's off to the other side of the atlantic for six straight weeks. lw

Postby RoyHiggi on Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:19 pm

Sounds fun. Must try dloading and see.
RoyHiggi

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:28 am

Well I was enjoying the course and challenge only to find by the time I started it I didn't have time to finish. Should have looked closer but I don't think of things like that and have got out of any routine to anticipate. Ah well maybe one day..................It's only a bit of practice waiting for the real thing which is only just around the corner. I can't wait for 2008 :)
RoyHiggi

Postby TIG__Ripper on Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:14 am

Our daily update for "As the Roy's Links Turns" ... LoL :shock:
TIG__Ripper

Return to Talk About It