Newbie ?'s

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Newbie ?'s

Postby Ben Jammin on Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:35 am

Just recently picked the game back up and I'm enjoying playing the courses but have not been able to join any tourneys or play any online games. When I click on the online option from the game I cannot connect. Just wondering if anyone has any tips/advise and thanks in advance. Also I have quite a few courses on Cd's from way back when and have downloaded them on my computer but don't know how to load them so that I can play them. Some are on zip files but not all. Once again TIA, Ben
Ben Jammin

Re: Newbie ?'s

Postby Mississippi on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:27 am

Hello Ben Jammin..... lets take things one step at a time. 1st lets you connected. Follow the instructions in this link to get you hooked up with the tour. once you have accomplished that then we will get you all your courses back.
http://www.lspn.net/help.php
Mississippi

Postby Ben Jammin on Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:06 pm

Thanks! Got on for a tourny..
Ben Jammin

Postby Mississippi on Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:21 pm

Good deal!
Now a little system info please, operating system and whether its 32 or 64 bit. Also do you have a program to unzip or do you need a link?
Mississippi

Postby Ben Jammin on Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:21 am

Thanks for your help Mississippi. Thought I was connected but was only playing the in-game seasons against computer players. Have finally been able to connect and play on this site! Still need to unzip and load my old CRZ courses to play them. Any links to open them and tips to adding them to Links game would be appreciated.. thanks in advance, Ben
Ben Jammin

Postby Mississippi on Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:33 am

Ben Jammin wrote:Thanks for your help Mississippi. Thought I was connected but was only playing the in-game seasons against computer players. Have finally been able to connect and play on this site! Still need to unzip and load my old CRZ courses to play them. Any links to open them and tips to adding them to Links game would be appreciated.. thanks in advance, Ben

1st step toward those tips would be to answer the questions i asked on 1/15 :wink:
Mississippi

Postby Ben Jammin on Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:28 am

I have windows 7 with 64 bit. Quad core 3.80 ghz processor. No program to unzip. Thanks again
Ben Jammin

Postby Mississippi on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:46 pm

WinRAR is the best since it works with all type files not just zip files. Its not free but does offer a fully functional trial which is free, what happens after is between you and your conscience. I put a link to a download below.
https://www.win-rar.com/start.html?&L=0

I will assume you are semi computer literate and know how to open links from the (x86) program files, if not speak out and step by step can be added. This next step isn't necessary, but if not done your game will start taking longer and longer to load after your course folder grows to over a hundred courses since it scans your course folder upon start up.

Create a new folder inside links. Name it (courses 2k3), then move everything from your course folder to the newly created courses 2k3 folder EXCEPT the 2 driving files. The best way to accomplish this is to have both your course and courses 2k3 folders open side by side on your monitor and then just start dragging and dropping them in.

Once these steps have been completed create a new folder in your documents, name it whatever you want, and then unzip all the courses to that folder. Once that is complete then bring that folder and and your courses 2k3 folder up side by side on your monitor as before and start dragging and dropping them all in.

The last step is to get the game to see them so open links, click options,click course manager, click add, then when the next screen opens click the little yellow folder on the left above the drop box. Click the courses 2k3 which will be listed under the courses, then click the select all tab.
If you skipped creating the new courses folder all the courses will have probably appeared before the click the little yellow folder line.
You must exit the game after and restart before playing to lock all the courses into place.
Mississippi

Postby Ben Jammin on Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:38 pm

Many thanks sir! Will dig into it this weekend. If ever near the outer banks of NC let me know, beers and dinner on me :)
Ben Jammin

Postby rwoodworkr on Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:38 pm

Mississippi, you're the man.
Showing the best of LSPN, Links, and being a human being. It's people like you and Gibby and Terrell that brought and kept me here. (That, and I like golf.)
rwoodworkr

Postby JackRussellTerror on Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:50 pm

Ben Jammin wrote:I have windows 7 with 64 bit. Quad core 3.80 ghz processor. No program to unzip. Thanks again

i have had Win7 Home 64 bit, and from memory, i'm sure that Win 7 has a default "unzipper". i.e. the user downloads a *.ZIP file, click on it, and Windows opens it up by default, then you drag the golf file *.CRZ onto your Desktop, start Links, then Options/Course Manager/ADD ! browse to the *.CRZ file on your Desktop ! tee off............

i've never had to use a 3rd party ZIP file program to "unzip" with Win 7 nor (now) with Win 10 !

R. :)
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby GoBucks on Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:18 am

JackRussellTerror wrote:
Ben Jammin wrote:I have windows 7 with 64 bit. Quad core 3.80 ghz processor. No program to unzip. Thanks again

i have had Win7 Home 64 bit, and from memory, i'm sure that Win 7 has a default "unzipper". i.e. the user downloads a *.ZIP file, click on it, and Windows opens it up by default, then you drag the golf file *.CRZ onto your Desktop, start Links, then Options/Course Manager/ADD ! browse to the *.CRZ file on your Desktop ! tee off............

i've never had to use a 3rd party ZIP file program to "unzip" with Win 7 nor (now) with Win 10 !

Same here with win10. No third party unzip.
No matter where you go, there you are!
GoBucks

Postby Mississippi on Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:44 am

JackRussellTerror wrote:

FYI....Winzip does not come with windows 7 64 bit home edition, it was added to Cortana in Windows 10 in May of 2016. Does windows 7 have a default unzipper? That answer is yes, via right clicking the file and opening with windows explorer. It has limited capabilities and personally i wouldn't recommend it for dealing with compressed files. I would venture to say that most people who have links on their computer play other games as well, many of those games use compressed file extensions other than zip. Since i'm the one who stepped up to help the OP on his links journey i will stick with recommending the best compression program on the market for his OS.
Mississippi

Postby AZWilly on Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:35 am

Can't you just right click the zipped folder, "open" it and drag it into your courses folder?
patience is a virtue few possess
AZWilly

Postby JackRussellTerror on Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:07 pm

i remember the heady PC days of the 1990s - one used DOS commands to UNZip and Zip files ...........fun times ! NOT !
PKZip.exe comes to mind

:)
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Next

Return to Talk About It