Question For Roy.

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Question For Roy.

Postby MasterMontgomery on Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:12 am

Hi Roy:
Just a couple of questions for you. Lets go back to the glory days when
Links has hundreds of players and the cream of the crop. George in his own setting
was probably the best, but not out of his setting. There were many greats. I
remember that you faired well also. Anyway, you seem better now than you were back then.
So, if you could go back in time with your level of play now, would you be a top 5,10,20 etc?
I have to think you would be a top 5. Would like to hear from you as you would know best.
P.S. also do feel like you are better now than then?

Doug :D
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Re: Question For Roy.

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:18 pm

I definitely don't think I am playing as well as in those "good old days". I could compete then but if you missed a birdie/eagle chance on 99% of holes you had no chance of winning anything. Nowadays I tend to lose a bit of concentration more often and a hole or two will slip away. My level now might get me into the top 10 or even top 5 on the best days but maybe only just top 10 regularly.

Lacers was a freak albeit as you mention because he never seemed to make a mistake ( which of course did raise suspicions!) but you did say " in his own setting". And of course he only played pro with any success. If he is Elwood now and playing occasionally you can see he can still be a special player but he does blow up and fail to finish plenty of events.

The competition back then was quite scary. There are some seriously good players playing now who can hit special scores but just don't quite have the consistency of plenty of players in the past and that's how I feel now about my game.

I would add also that scoring now is quite a bit easier as putting is that much easier than it used to be on 2K1.

One good thing is that I still thoroughly enjoy playing and competing and a big difference to back then is the varieties of the game that I play. Challenging at champ and elite level, non challenging at pro and even ammy level.
RoyHiggi

Postby Bassmaster on Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:02 pm

I would venture to say that if Mr. Roy Higgi isn't the best in here then he's a close second. I don't see him getting beat very often.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby trevb1066 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:05 am

Nice to see roy and you all still playing.
I stopped playing links 14 or 15 years ago and still remember the good all days of amature with tomonline, roy, and andy greenkeeps.

Cheers MTP
trevb1066

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:47 am

trevb1066 wrote:Nice to see roy and you all still playing.
I stopped playing links 14 or 15 years ago and still remember the good all days of amature with tomonline, roy, and andy greenkeeps.

Cheers MTP

Happy days
RoyHiggi

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:57 am

A good example re how I would have fared with scoring today compared to the old days. I have just played Sea Island in fairly easy conditions and in the past would probably have needed 88 under to make the top 5 , maybe top 3. I doubt my score today would have made the top 10 :shock:

Lacers I expect would have managed 90 under with no costly mistakes :roll: I made 7 that cost a stroke. Old age I guess :lol:
RoyHiggi

Return to Talk About It