PLSA for the wrap-around season and 2020

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

PLSA for the wrap-around season and 2020

Postby GoesForIt on Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:07 pm

All,

I'm helping Mark with the PLSA Tour. I've submitted conditions to him for the remainder of the year. I'm asking for patience.

Caveats. For the wrap-around tour, I've relied on the APCD designer's selection of EASY, MEDIUM and HARD. I did this to try to the the schedule back on track in time.

For 2020, I go to every green with all pins showing and select the 4 pins to be used by my own observation. I think this will eliminate (as much as possible) having some of the impossible pin positions that have plagued PLSA in the past. I hope never to have a pin position where you putt the ball all the way to the hole and have it run back down to your feet or beyond.

Somehow Greenbrier Old White is showing up for this week... it's the right course and the course I originally submitted, but it's not 2001 compatible. It was supposed to be changed to Bishopbriggs... and I think Mark thought he was putting up Bishopbriggs so not sure what happened. I've played round one and it plays just fine. Beyond that, the remainder of the year should be...

Sept 19-22 Sanderson Farms Championship Latrobe Country Club - Fall (2000)*
Sept 26-29 Safeway Open Pelican Hill Golf Club (2003)*
Oct 03-06 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open The Canyons Course at Bighorn (2003)*
Oct 10-13 Houston Open Lost Woods Golf Club*
Oct 17-20 The CJ Cup @ Nine Bridges Blue Lakes GC*
Oct 24-27 The ZOZO Championship Phoenix Country Club (LS)*
Oct 31-Nov 3 Bermuda Championship The Ocean Course at Cabo del Sol
Oct 31-Nov 3 World Golf Championships-HSBC champions Arrowhead Country Club SE*
Nov 14-17 Mayakoba Golf Classic Royal Portrush, Valley Links Course*
Nov 21-24 The RSM Classic Sea Island Golf Club (2000)
Dec 4-7 Hero World Challenge The Islands @ Ocean Paradise*
Dec 12-15 Presidents Cup Royal Melbourne
Dec 13-15 QBE Shootout Dorado Beach - East Course (LS)*

Where the IRL course doesn't exist, I've tried to sub a similar course.

I'm already 3 tournaments into 2020, so we should be able to stay on track. I'm trying to do one tournament per two days.

If you have complaints you can write helpme@lspn.net for dougmhurst@gmail.com.

I believe the PLSA should be as close as possible to the IRL tour and conditions should be a fair test.
GoesForIt

Re: PLSA for the wrap-around season and 2020

Postby gibby on Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:22 am

Good for you Doug and congrats!
Keep in mind that designers don't always use the easy 0-5 mod 6-11 difficult 12-18 setup.
I know they do use the color code when looking in practice more, I forget the colors though.
Common sense and common courtesy two things this world needs more of.
gibby

Postby GoesForIt on Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:34 am

gibby wrote:Good for you Doug and congrats!
Keep in mind that designers don't always use the easy 0-5 mod 6-11 difficult 12-18 setup.
I know they do use the color code when looking in practice more, I forget the colors though.

Thanks and yes, I've found this out. In fact many courses do not have 18 pin positions, some only assigned EASY, etc. I can't do much about that from now to the end of the calendar year, but I'm taking great pains for 2020. It's a time-consuming task and I applaud the other tour directors for their efforts.
GoesForIt

Postby gibby on Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:45 am

It's a challenge. Picking speeds to go along with pins especially! You'll find yourself halfway thru a course or just one hole can [censored] everything :D
One piece of advice, defend your choices! The time it takes to do this properly is again a challenge!
Common sense and common courtesy two things this world needs more of.
gibby

Postby GoesForIt on Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:37 am

Apologizing already for Round 2, pin positions on hole #4 and #9. #9 is especially bad. I'll email Mark. If he's not put up the other courses for the wrap around season, I'll try to fix all remaining by going though every hole like I've done for the 2020 season. At least Round #2 is MC/MC.

For hole #9 in round 2 try to be below the hole and hit up to or past the hole about 2 ft. It will stay.

I want this to be a challenge, but a fair one. Please bear with me.
GoesForIt

Postby GoBucks on Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:30 am

GoesForIt wrote:Apologizing already for Round 2, pin positions on hole #4 and #9. #9 is especially bad. I'll email Mark. If he's not put up the other courses for the wrap around season, I'll try to fix all remaining by going though every hole like I've done for the 2020 season. At least Round #2 is MC/MC.

For hole #9 in round 2 try to be below the hole and hit up to or past the hole about 2 ft. It will stay.

Was going to comment on #9. It's tough doing set-ups. There's a lot to consider, and you almost have to go into practice mode to make sure the pins will work. You'll get it.
No matter where you go, there you are!
GoBucks

Postby GoesForIt on Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:39 am

GoBucks wrote:
GoesForIt wrote:Apologizing already for Round 2, pin positions on hole #4 and #9. #9 is especially bad. I'll email Mark. If he's not put up the other courses for the wrap around season, I'll try to fix all remaining by going though every hole like I've done for the 2020 season. At least Round #2 is MC/MC.

Was going to comment on #9. It's tough doing set-ups. There's a lot to consider, and you almost have to go into practice mode to make sure the pins will work. You'll get it.

Chk
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:59 pm

I will say I've now been through Latrobe for the Sanderson next week and all is good. I went through pin for all 4 rounds in practice mode. 18 is tough, but I was able to putt uphill at the back pin location and it did stop with MC/FC.

I will do this now with all tourney's in the wrap around season and see if Mark can update any that are bad.
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:33 am

Good news. I've now revisited the next 4 PLSA tournaments and can report there are no untoward pin positions.

I'll continue through all remaining for the wrap-around season and have already done the first 4 four for the 2020 season as well.

For those who want to parallel the Tour schedule, I hope you'll feel confident that the courses have been prepared to be a fair test.

A couple of notes. 1) For the most part, conditions will get firmer and faster as the tournament progresses. 2) If you see Soft/C or Slow/C, assume weather has come through altering conditions for the day. IRL, this is about the only time the Pro Tour sees softness/slowness.
GoesForIt

Postby rwoodworkr on Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:50 pm

Hey Doug, since I'm a little ahead on Euro and World events (not sure how that happened), I'm going to play the PLSA for the first time in ages, so you'll have a competitor in the challenging category and you won't feel like the lone ranger. It looks like you've put up a good score for me to shoot for.
rwoodworkr

Postby GoesForIt on Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:17 pm

rwoodworkr wrote:Hey Doug, since I'm a little ahead on Euro and World events (not sure how that happened), I'm going to play the PLSA for the first time in ages, so you'll have a competitor in the challenging category and you won't feel like the lone ranger. It looks like you've put up a good score for me to shoot for.

Fair warning. I had 1 or 2 bad pin positions at Latrobe. I swear I went through them all. On 18 I should NEVER have used a rear pin position. There is simply not a fair one back there... if it is used it should be with SC/SC, not MC/FC.

I still think the remainder are good going forward. I submit my spreadsheets to Mark. I'm sure he used the right one, it was my error.

Thanks for playing. I still feel better about 2020. Really taking my time and so far, more courses that match the actual tournament.
GoesForIt

Postby rwoodworkr on Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:27 pm

rwoodworkr wrote:...so you'll have a competitor in the challenging category...

I meant 'champ/challenging' category.

GoesForIt wrote:Fair warning. I had 1 or 2 bad pin positions at Latrobe...Really taking my time and so far, more courses that match the actual tournament.

Pins in round 1 all looked pretty good to me. I did have a tough time getting the ball back to the flag on several approaches, but that was due to not adjusting to the slower green speed. I appreciate you setting all these up. I know it's a ton of work and time. I kind of miss playing some of the older legacy courses, so hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in a few PLSA and CLSC events.
rwoodworkr

Return to Talk About It