Links Corner

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Links Corner

Postby Steve Sullivan on Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:26 am

A message from Andy Hope via Facebook:

You should be aware that all is not well with Links Corner.

There are two issues.

1. The hosting company are less than helpful and refuse to update the software that runs this hosting server as the package I signed up for is no longer available.

2. The forum software is way out of date and cannot be brought up to the current release level. This is partly due to the numerous tweaks that I and previous admins made to the forum to make it more suitable for what we wanted. As a result of this the Forum is at risk of permitting malicious content to be uploaded to the server which the hosting company will not look kindly on.

So, where do we go now?

I refuse to let Links Corner die but it is going to have to have major surgery.

I have set up a new hosting package with the company I use for all my other websites.

I have been re-creating the non-forum side of Links Corner the main constituent being the course database and associated resources. This has been quite time consuming as the new server has a much more recent version of PHP (the software that runs the active content) and all my scripts have had to be modified.

I will be creating a new Forum using the latest (secure) version of phpBB.

I tried to convert the contents of the current forum to populate the new forum but it didn't work so I'm afraid we'll all be starting from scratch.

I will over time try to populate the new forum with some of the valuable information we currently have here but this will be a slow ongoing process.

When I switch over there may be a period when Links Corner is unreachable - please be patient. I will announce here and on Facebook a day before the switch.

Please pass this information on to all your Links friends who may not visit here often.

My apologies in advance for all the upheaval.
Steve Sullivan

Re: Links Corner

Postby rwoodworkr on Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:21 am

Whew, thanks for the update, Steve.
It's amazing to me the dedication that some Linksters have to keep this great game alive and kicking.
rwoodworkr

Postby albatros on Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:17 pm

what rwoodwrkr said goes for me as well, very nice to keep us informed and thanks again for the hard work put in to keep this going!!! KUDOS ;]~

albatros

a bouncing ball never sleeps
albatros

Postby tnbogeyman2 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:54 am

Just want to take the time to say a big THANK-YOU!! for all your time and effort! I have been playing this game for over 15 years now, even tho it states I joined in 2011. I had to re-join at that time since my initial username was no longer available since my e-mail address had been discontinued.
tnbogeyman2

Postby Bassmaster on Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:06 pm

Thank you very much. For those of you not on the Links Corner Facebook page you should join in.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Return to Talk About It