The British Open

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

The British Open

Postby GoesForIt on Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:52 am

First, is there some reason why they have to use UK courses.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , that's a joke folks.

Now for the serious stuff. I realise (Brits use "s" instead of "z" in many words) "The Open Championship" is the oldest major, but I'll also say that when I was a kid and Arnie was emerging and was one of the few players to venture across the pond to play in what was then called "The British Open" it was not that big a deal. I'm glad it's become a big deal, but "Champion Golfer of the Year." Maybe "Champion Golfer of the Year" might go to the player who does the best in all 4 majors?

I don't know, just seems like The Open Championship, rather recently, trumps all other tournaments.
GoesForIt

Re: The British Open

Postby WackerWoods on Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:59 am

From WackerWoods
I am English (86 years old) and I object to the usage of the term "The British Open". It is "THE OPEN"
you may have " Any Other OPEN"; but please just two words "The Open" or "The 148th Open"
WackerWoods

Postby GoesForIt on Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:55 am

WackerWoods wrote:From WackerWoods
I am English (86 years old) and I object to the usage of the term "The British Open". It is "THE OPEN"
you may have " Any Other OPEN"; but please just two words "The Open" or "The 148th Open"

I wasn't meaning to offend, but when I was growing up in the 60s, it was called The British Open... not just here, but there also by commentators.

I've always liked The Open. It's one of the few tournaments where players get to show off their new WINTER wardrobes in July. :lol: :lol:
GoesForIt

Postby Mississippi on Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:46 pm

I liked Nick Faldo's take on it...
"The Open Championship is incorrect. It's now The Open," the Englishman said. "You see? It's gone from the British Open, the Open Championship, now it's The Open...In another five years it will be just called 'The.'"
Mississippi

Postby GoesForIt on Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:40 pm

Mississippi wrote:I liked Nick Faldo's take on it...
"The Open Championship is incorrect. It's now The Open," the Englishman said. "You see? It's gone from the British Open, the Open Championship, now it's The Open...In another five years it will be just called 'The.'"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Goot one!
GoesForIt

Postby TexAgs on Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:45 pm

I like Sir Nick. At first I thought I wouldn't get used to his dry delivery but his humor appeals to me and I find him very interesting. But I'll never call it anything but the British Open, and I do it on purpose just to hear people screech and try to correct me.
:lol:
TexAgs

Postby JackRussellTerror on Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:20 pm

TexAgs wrote:But I'll never call it anything but the British Open, and
:lol:

couldn't agree more ! to me, its always been - and will be - the British Open !

we have the US Open, the Australian Open, and the British Open ! end of story................

'The Open' was concocted by chardonnay sipping 'elite stuffed shirts' at the RandA, insinuating that "HEY Ol' BOYO, we shall call it THE Open - its OUR Open !"

:wink:
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Return to Talk About It