How do people still play this game??

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

How do people still play this game??

Postby lezly on Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:03 pm

128yds uphill to the pin, 130yd club distance, wind in my face. So can someone tell me why a shot perfectly hit with the power meter at the top marker flies over the green by 25 yards?????? That shouldn't even be physically possible given the maximum distance of the club. Whatever happened to this game to get it working on modern systems evidently completely broke the physics system of the game - I refuse to believe that it shipped this way in 2002. Am I supposed to guess at whether or not the game's code will decide to fling my ball into orbit or not? Flip a coin? Somebody help me out here.

Full disclosure: I played Links 98 for an extremely long time. So many hours lost in that game, and MS Golf 2.0 before that. Decided to see if I could get back into the swing of things by getting 2003 up and running. The game is so inferior to the previous games it is absolutely comical. I don't remember Links ever being so inconsistent. Just gonna stick to LS Classic, I guess. Consider the $15 for LSPN I just paid a donation to the community.

I feel sorry to everyone forced to play 2003 since the actually competent games in the series don't work on modern systems.
lezly

Re: How do people still play this game??

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:21 pm

More detail needed. How far was the shot , how much uphill , how strong was the wind and was it 100% directly into your face?
What club did you use and did you adjust the stance?
RoyHiggi

Postby rwoodworkr on Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:39 pm

lezly wrote:128yds uphill to the pin, 130yd club distance, wind in my face. So can someone tell me why a shot perfectly hit with the power meter at the top marker flies over the green by 25 yards??????...

Yes, something fishy going on here. Were you hitting from the fairway or the rough? If from the rough, that could explain a flyer. Could your lie possibly have been on a downhill slope? I've never experienced the kind of inconsistency you're speaking of. Generally, if I calculate things correctly, and hit the snap and backswing perfectly (which unfortunately doesn't happen often), and am hitting from a good lie, the shot ends up very close to where I expect it to. It doesn't make any difference what computer setup I'm using - old, new, desktop, laptop - the results are very predictable in my case.

lezly wrote:...I feel sorry to everyone forced to play 2003 since the actually competent games in the series don't work on modern systems.

No need to feel sorry. I doubt that anybody feels forced to play this game. I would venture to say that the vast majority of us are having a blast playing Links. I know I am.
rwoodworkr

Postby TexAgs on Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:22 pm

I hit a SW the other day about 150 yards. I could not comprehend what happened. Then I thought I must've accidentally pulled the slider all the way down (-10, punch shot) instead of pushing it all the way up (+4, flop shot). I'm not sure what i did, but this all can think of, and I fully recognize my ability to be so careless!
:oops:
TexAgs

Postby pmgolf on Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:22 pm

lezly wrote:I feel sorry to everyone forced to play 2003 since the actually competent games in the series don't work on modern systems.

Every time I read that sentence I get really suspicious that it's from some Perfect Parallel fanboy who is trolling a Links site trying to convert us to their game. As far as I know, no one has ever been forced to play Links. And what are these "actually competent games in the series" that don't play on modern systems? Are they referring to the programs that have been modified? Links 2003 v. 1.07 plays on "modern" systems, windows 7 and 10, and work-arounds have been found for notebooks with Intel On-board graphics to allow it to work there, too.

For the sake of those PP fanboys, I will say it here: Links 2003: by far the best of all the computer golf games.

Pete
pmgolf

Postby RoyHiggi on Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:56 am

pmgolf wrote:
lezly wrote:I feel sorry to everyone forced to play 2003 since the actually competent games in the series don't work on modern systems.

Every time I read that sentence I get really suspicious that it's from some Perfect Parallel fanboy who is trolling a Links site trying to convert us to their game. As far as I know, no one has ever been forced to play Links. And what are these "actually competent games in the series" that don't play on modern systems? Are they referring to the programs that have been modified? Links 2003 v. 1.07 plays on "modern" systems, windows 7 and 10, and work-arounds have been found for notebooks with Intel On-board graphics to allow it to work there, too.

For the sake of those PP fanboys, I will say it here: Links 2003: by far the best of all the computer golf games.

Pete

You got that right Pete on both counts.
Significant that he/she didn't follow up and answer questions. Must have been too difficult :D
RoyHiggi

Postby Mississippi on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:06 pm

pmgolf wrote:

Every time I read that sentence I get really suspicious that it's from some Perfect Parallel fanboy who is trolling a Links site trying to convert us to their game.

Pete

I didn't get that feeling at all from lezly, i did get the feeling that lezly doesn't like microsoft( and modern computers) much tho as he/she stated they would be staying with the LS golf series. I do know that the putting got more forgiving when links 2003 took the place of links 2001.
Mississippi

Postby Maximus61 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:12 pm

No forces me to play.

Especially not my wife. Every time she sees me playing a round, I get her usual retort..... "Are you playing that stupid golf game again?" :)

Max
Maximus61

Postby GoBucks on Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:21 am

lezly wrote:Full disclosure: I played Links 98 for an extremely long time. So many hours lost in that game, and MS Golf 2.0 before that. Decided to see if I could get back into the swing of things by getting 2003 up and running. The game is so inferior to the previous games it is absolutely comical. I don't remember Links ever being so inconsistent. Just gonna stick to LS Classic, I guess. Consider the $15 for LSPN I just paid a donation to the community.

I feel sorry to everyone forced to play 2003 since the actually competent games in the series don't work on modern systems.

He's been a member since 2015, and this is his first post. He hasn't played for awhile. I also noticed that he was playing in the handicap event (1.05), had 6 penalty strokes after 3 rnds, and abandoned the 4th. Bad event? And has he been a member for four years and not played in that time? Hmm.
No matter where you go, there you are!
GoBucks

Postby IBHackin on Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:15 am

Maximus61 wrote:No forces me to play.

Especially not my wife. Every time she sees me playing a round, I get her usual retort..... "Are you playing that stupid golf game again?" :)

Max

I love this comment Max. My wife got me Links 98 for our anniversary back in 99, she still says it's the worst gift she ever got me. 8)

Steve
IBHackin

Postby GoesForIt on Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:24 am

lezly wrote:128yds uphill to the pin, 130yd club distance, wind in my face. So can someone tell me why a shot perfectly hit with the power meter at the top marker flies over the green by 25 yards?????? That shouldn't even be physically possible given the maximum distance of the club. Whatever happened to this game to get it working on modern systems evidently completely broke the physics system of the game - I refuse to believe that it shipped this way in 2002. Am I supposed to guess at whether or not the game's code will decide to fling my ball into orbit or not? Flip a coin? Somebody help me out here.

Full disclosure: I played Links 98 for an extremely long time. So many hours lost in that game, and MS Golf 2.0 before that. Decided to see if I could get back into the swing of things by getting 2003 up and running. The game is so inferior to the previous games it is absolutely comical. I don't remember Links ever being so inconsistent. Just gonna stick to LS Classic, I guess. Consider the $15 for LSPN I just paid a donation to the community.

I adamantly disagree with this last sentence.

All versions of Links have had their shortcomings, but I've never experienced what you describe. I've played many golf sims, (Tiger Woods, etc.) and not a single one has had more correct ball flight algorithms. I agree with Higgi, more info is needed. Just a possibility, the caddy gave you what you thought was too much club, you thought you clicked on a more lofted club but didn't in reality. The only way to know on that would have been to check the "Last Shot Info" which certainly has been lost by now.
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:29 am

pmgolf wrote:

Pete

I played PP early on. The scenery was impressive, but the ball flight characteristics were horrible. Maybe they've improved them. When I played every shot was hit and roll forward or if the angle was steep enough, hit and stop.

I agree with Pete that Links is still the best when you look at the entire picture... and by far the most courses REAL and FICTIONAL... even though the APCD is a real pain at times.
GoesForIt

Postby Maximus61 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:46 am

Steve,

Yep, I got hooked around the same time. I bought my first computer in 1996 and a few months later I saw a game at Toys R Us called Links LS 97. Looked like it might be interesting so I got it. Little did I know I'd still be playing that "stupid" golf game 23 years later.

My wife also likes to distract me when I'm playing. Every so often she'll walk by and just as I'm ready to make a shot, she'll call out "Swing" in a louder than usual voice. LOL, she's a pain at times.
Maximus61

Postby MasterMontgomery on Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:42 am

I had a strange shot this past week. It was in the Jubilee Classic at St. Andrews. I had scores of
-20, -20, -18 and I was -17 after 16 in the fourth round. I only needed to birdie one of the last 2 for
a top 5 finish. Hole 17 is a par 3 and I had the yardage as 202. Not wanting to hit a 6w I went with a
5 iron 5 down which is a 200 yd shot.A perfect 12 6 snp had me holding my breath and waiting
for some reaction. After some mild clapping an the rendering I saw the ball some 14 yds(43ft) past the hole.
A great putt just missed. I still have no idea what happened. Nevertheless, I then made par on 18 for a 6 place
finish. But the game is the greatest. Will never know what went wrong,most likely me. :)

Doug :)
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Postby IBHackin on Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:24 am

That's too funny Max,
I play almost all of my rounds in the morning before my wife gets up, so I don't have to go thru the same a.b.u.s.e you do.

Why is the word a.b.u.s.e censored?
IBHackin

Next

Return to Talk About It