Bethpage Black

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Bethpage Black

Postby Mississippi on Thu May 16, 2019 6:59 pm

Its funny how certain courses remind one of the people they have played many rounds with at said course. Bethpage Black is one of those courses for me, and the person who's memory i'm reminded of is my old friend Simon Evens aka DriverWoods. Even tho Simon was Australian, Bethpage Black was his favorite course in the whole world.

Simon was a jeweler so you know he had a steady hand which made him a mean links player. He also played RTS which made hitting fairways a tad easier for him than clicking did for me. Gems, golf, sailing, and beautiful women were Simon's 4 main passions as i remember. He married a California gal and had a jewelry shop so i know he got to the top of 2 of his 4 passions. He had goals of sailing in the America's cup and playing Bethpage Black when he came to the states.

Unfortunately cancer took Simon's life at the tender age of 55 in late 2012 after a 4 month battle and before i had the chance to find out if he ever made it to either Bethpage or had the pleasure of competing in the sailing races he loved.
Simon is only one of the too many great people this community has lost over the years, and next week when memorial day weekend arrives here in the States i will be thinking of them all.....and they will know they may be gone, but they are not forgotten.
Mississippi

Re: Bethpage Black

Postby Blade on Thu May 16, 2019 10:46 pm

I remember Simon with very fond memories, we played lots of rounds together using direct connection & Skype, his jewellery shop was in Bondi Junction ( Sydney ) there was a Liquor Store just across the road & he would always duck out for a six pack of beer prior to teeing off. Simon was a very accomplished player ( RTS ) & very hard to beat, his putting and chipping skills were excellent, not sure if he made it to compete in an America’s Cup, but he sailed on Sydney Harbour every weekend & i’m fairly sure that he crewed a couple of times in the Blue Ribbon Sydney to Hobart Yacht race. Other very close Links Friends I have lost are JIM Lake aka V.B Aussie from Melbourne 49 Stroke, Larry Knect aka LarryK from Alaska 72 Heart Attack, Steve Franklin aka SteveFr from the UK 63 Cancer. Unfortunately when you have played Links for over 15 years like I & others have there are many more Linkster’s that are no longer with us.
Blade

Return to Talk About It