UGGGH--Windows 10

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

UGGGH--Windows 10

Postby Bassmaster on Sat May 11, 2019 9:42 pm

Sorry Guys but I'm having issues with a new laptop that has Window 10 in it. I use a laptop down in my shop and most of my Links golf is played on it. I downloaded the game Friday and everything was somewhat fine until I screwed up and accidentally deleted the courses file. Finally after re-installing the game and all my courses I'm now having crash issues. I'm getting a "cannot support two 1024x1024 texture" message. I'm lost. Please bear with me. Thanks.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Re: UGGGH--Windows 10

Postby Maximus61 on Sun May 12, 2019 8:13 am

Rick,

I'm kind of in the same boat although I haven't had quite as many problems as you have. I feel for you my friend because like you, I think Windows 10 sucks. :(

Got a new desktop with Windows 10 about 5 weeks ago after my old computer passed away. It came with Intel HD graphics and playing Links was a disaster. The graphics were lame and it would randomly stop every 4th or 5th round. A couple weeks later I went out and bought a dedicated graphics card (Nvidia). Links did work better. However, it will still randomly stop right in the middle of a round. Just yesterday it stopped at Valhalla with 1 hole to go on the last round of 4. Sometimes it lets me resume a round but it this case it just goes to a blank page when I get back to the 18th hole.

I did try a few of the tips offered in the tech forum you guys are currently posting in. Played a couple rounds afterward and the graphics seemed a little sharper plus no crashes. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Hang in there bud. I'm sure the tech wizards around this place will help you fix this.

Max

PS, did I mention Windows 10 sucks? :)
Maximus61

Postby Bassmaster on Sun May 12, 2019 7:24 pm

I uninstalled Links for a 2nd time and before reinstalling Links(again) I decided to check some of my program folders. I found that there were many remnants of the previous loadings of Links that did not uninstall. I used my Avast shredder program and got rid of anything and everything that was associated with Links. I then reinstalled Links and the patches and all my courses BEFORE even thinking about firing up the game. Set the screen resolution in Links to 1280x720 32 bit. So far so good as I have played 4 rounds without issues. Well, except for the missing ball flight and aiming marker in the overhead camera.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby pmgolf on Mon May 13, 2019 3:43 am

There are a lot of good points about buying an older (used or refurbished) desktop PC with Windows 7 on it and use it for Links and other older games/software. With a wireless mouse and keyboard and long monitor wire, you can place the computer box out of the way. I sit in my recliner in the family room with the box behind where I sit, watching TV and playing Links! No video problems.

Just a suggestion...

Pete
pmgolf

Postby IBHackin on Mon May 13, 2019 5:31 am

Hi Guys,
I went thru this about a 1 1/2 years ago and found none of the newer laptops will run Links. I do not believe it's a Window 10 issue, it's the newer chip sets. I've tried Dell, Lenovo and Samsung none would allow me to finish a round. So I updated the CPU, SSD and memory on my desktop and gave up on the laptops. But I've heard that if you install a Window XP VM you can run Links there. I haven't tried it as I gave to last laptop I bought to the wife.
Good Luck

Steve (IBHackin)
IBHackin

Postby JackRussellTerror on Mon May 13, 2019 2:15 pm

Maximus61 wrote:
PS, did I mention Windows 10 sucks? :)

and from next year sometime, there will be no Micro$oft support for Windows 7 :shock: We all go to Windows 10 !

what i'll be doing when support ends, is a new Windows 10 desktop with everything i do on a PC on it. THEN i'll use this present Windows 7 Home Intel i5 desktop and wipe the HDD, loading only Links on to it with some form of basic protection. Log on, tee off, submit scores, shut down. Boot Win 10 Desktop. If I get malware on the unsupported Microsoft Win 7 machine....big deal ! just wipe the HDD and reload Links again. It will be tedious and cumbersome i know swapping PCs, but at least i'll get an uninterrupted game of Links !

just my thoughts 8)
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby Maximus61 on Mon May 13, 2019 6:37 pm

Jack,

Yep, I was very happy with Windows 7. Links worked fine and it looked pretty good even with the low cost graphics card I had. My tech buddy said I'd have to move to Windows 10 because of the support issues you mentioned. Reluctantly, I went that route.

Other than my complaints about Links 2003, which has worked much better today with the tips which were posted here, I just don't like the way Windows 10 works with everyday computer stuff. It's not as easy to use as Windows 7 was. My verdict after 5 weeks is it's a step back but I guess I have to learn to live with it.

Maybe Microsoft will come out with Windows 11 in the next year or two and include the good things Windows 7 had. :)

Max
Maximus61

Postby pmgolf on Tue May 14, 2019 7:49 am

People continued using Windows XP for years after Microsoft gave up on it. As the end of the year approaches, I play to buy a new copy of Windows 7 and hold on to it for my next PC to use. Windows 10 sucks (IMHO) and I don't plan to use it! I'm 73 now, so I probably won't have to!

Pete
pmgolf

Postby Steve Sullivan on Tue May 14, 2019 9:11 am

I must be one of the fortunate ones that has a PC with no issues running Links 2003 in Windows 10, which I have used since it came out. It's a home built PC with a Radeon R7 360 graphics card, and touch wood it's always run Links and APCD fine :wink:
Steve Sullivan

Postby rwoodworkr on Tue May 14, 2019 9:47 am

Steve Sullivan wrote:...PC with a Radeon R7 360 graphics card...

I think that's the key to your good results, Steve.
rwoodworkr

Postby Maximus61 on Tue May 14, 2019 9:51 am

I was considering a new computer with Windows 7. Security support for it ends on Jan 14, 2020 and I needed a safe, secure computer since I sometimes use it for my business too so I figured 8 months wasn't enough time to bother with it and then have to upgrade down the road.

Right now I don't have too many complaints. The new computer is much faster and I have twice the storage space. After adding the new graphics card and following the helpful tips posted here, Links is working much better. I'm also getting used to Windows 10 more and more every day. It's still don't like it as much Windows XP or Windows 7 but I'll survive. 8)
Maximus61

Postby Bassmaster on Tue May 14, 2019 9:56 am

Maximus61 wrote:I was considering a new computer with Windows 7. Security support for it ends on Jan 14, 2020 and I needed a safe, secure computer since I sometimes use it for my business too so I figured 8 months wasn't enough time to bother with it and then have to upgrade down the road.

Right now I don't have too many complaints. The new computer is much faster and I have twice the storage space. After adding the new graphics card and following the helpful tips posted here, Links is working much better. I'm also getting used to Windows 10 more and more every day. It's still don't like it as much Windows XP or Windows 7 but I'll survive. 8)

I purchased a Window Home Premium 7 computer for the house a few years back and I had to immediately upgrade the video card to play Links in the house. After my rough start with Windows 10 on my laptop I have managed to complete about 8 rounds now without any hitches. Except for now ball flight and aiming marker in the overhead camera. I tried to get the "voodoo" links but have so far been unable to connect to download.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby Harpo on Tue May 14, 2019 10:15 am

Roy, I know you know more than you let on about computers. What are you running on your machine? Window's 10? Can you aim in the overhead cam? What kind of graphics are you running? It says when you first start up. Also if you go to "options" then "system info" it will tell you most of this information.
Jim
Harpo

Postby IBHackin on Wed May 15, 2019 4:30 am

On my desktop I've been running Windows 10 since it came out. I've had no troubles running Links on it at all. I have an ASUS mobo, 16g ram, mid-range nVidia graphics card and a 8 processor AMD FX CPU. I built the PC about 6 years ago and have slowly upgrade various componets. I have had the AMD FX for only about 1 year now. About 6 months ago I replaced my boot drive with a 500g SSD.
Rick, I would be very interested in what you've done to get your laptop working with Links. I had no success with the ones I tried.

Steve
IBHackin

Postby Harpo on Wed May 15, 2019 5:14 am

I have only used my laptop a couple times playing Links. It had when I bought it Windows 7 on it and then I updated to 10 when they had the free upgrade. It is old. An Intel Celeron MMX SSE. It only has 1 gb memory and runs with an Intel(R) HD Graphics. I have no problem running Links with aiming marker in the overhead cam. Running at 1280 x 720, 32 bit color.
Jim
Harpo

Next

Return to Talk About It