How do you play Augusta 2009??????

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

How do you play Augusta 2009??????

Postby GoesForIt on Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:53 pm

These are my thoughts when playing Augusta. What I'm saying is basically with no wind and of course wind and conditions/speed make a big difference. Assumes back tees

I'd be interested in how everyone/anyone else looks at it.

1. Unless there's a tailwind, it's almost impossible to make the fairway bunkers with a 12/6. They must be avoided at all costs to get off to a good start.

2. I move driver up in my stance to make sure I can't get to the fairway bunker. Pin has a ton to do with the approach. Green side bunkers are not a bad way to go. Otherwise I try to leave a 60 yd LW (full forward in stance).

3. With no wind bunkers are easily cleared. I like the pin on the left.

4. Pin on the right, bunker is not bad. I guess the eay pin is left front but it's hard to stop the ball at 230 yards.

5. I just try to avoid the fairway bunkers. Green is a bit devilish... with a ridge (waterfall running from about 7 to 3 on the clock.

6. Pin makes or breaks this hole. Pin on the right is hardest for me. I can usually stay right then fear chipping too hard and going down the hill. Hit a little left and down the hill you go leaving a long, long putt.

7. If you're a champ or Elite, you almost have to hit the snap here. Frone greenside bunkers are not hard to come in from. Don't go over.

8. I don't think I've ever eagled 8 so I try to stay way left of the fairway bunkers and lay up. It's never more than a short iron.

9. It's good to be in the fairway, but pin position is key. I'm sure we've all rolled down to the bottom of the hill at one time or another. Left, green side bunker is often safe. You can come out and be sure to be left of a front pin.

10. I usually put my driver full forward in my stance, DRAW, and aim right in the middle of 4 trees straight away. If I hit the snap, I'm in the fairway. It's hard for me to judge clubs on the approach on this hole. Pin position has never been a concern that I can remember.

11. Devil hole. Champ/Elite almost have to hit the snap here. Missing either side can be trouble and you're scrambling for par. A perfect drive and there's still decisions to make depending on the pin position. Water is always calling. Back left is a sucker pin.

12. I've never had too much trouble with 12. It doesn't seem to play as hard as IRL 12 does. You can [censored] a left pin back into the water. Over and in the bunkers is not good.

13. I try to avoid a McIlroy pull here. I guess I've been in the creek, but it's been awhile. I find this plays very similar to IRL. It really is a birdie/eagle hole with two good shots.

14. I all about the pin position. No bunkers fairwar or green. It's usually very hard for me to get a makeable birdie putt.

15. I almost never go for the green in 2 here. Having a real eagle opportunity almost never presents itself. Water short and some very hard chips shots if your over. Again, I like a 60 yd LW played full forward in my stance so it lands as soft as possible.

16. pin position, pin position, pin position. I like the lower much better than the higher. Over in the bunker if the pin is on top is h-e-double toothpicks (to quote Radar O'Reilly).

17. I believe IRL Eisenhower's tree died, but I aim the the light tree trunks way down and a bit to the right, and select DRAW. Usually gets me past the tree and back into the fairway. It's a devil green for certain pins.

18. If you put the ball two-clicks forward in your stance it's almost impossible to make the fairway bunkers in Links. Gives you a lot more leeway on your drive. DO NOT GO RIGHT.

Again, wind and other conditions can alter this for me. But NO WIND, MODERATE(C)/MEDIUM(C) that's pretty much how I play Augusta.
GoesForIt

Return to Talk About It