Great Score Roy !

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Great Score Roy !

Postby JackRussellTerror on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:34 pm

Kapalua Bay (Pro N/C), great round 1 score of 49 Roy ! ..........in the BREEZE :shock:
what happened on the 10th, you didn't Eagle it ! :wink: :lol: :lol:

I walked off after a VERY happy 18 under 54, only 2 behind Dirk so that was good, THEN saw 49 by Roy ! WOW way to good !

8)
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Re: Great Score Roy !

Postby Mississippi on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:38 pm

Roy has been doing that for as long as i can remember, back in the day @ Greenkeeps it was very educational for us mortals to head out in a multiplayer round when Roy and George (Lacers) were going at each other. Oh the stories that were told...especially about the offsnap 3 wood and how to travel along the mesa's top @ mesa rosa from George. A Danish fellow named Henrick who was quite the links player in his own right used to whisper to me that they cheat :lol:
I played as Echoes back in those days and was lucky enough to beat Roy at a cut tourney @ Barton Creek Fazio with a -80 to his -79. That was long before 1.06 was thought of and the only win i had when over 100 players were making the cut. Luckily George didn't play that one as he would have managed a -82 as usual i'm sure.
Mississippi

Postby RoyHiggi on Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:13 am

Mississippi wrote:Roy has been doing that for as long as i can remember, back in the day @ Greenkeeps it was very educational for us mortals to head out in a multiplayer round when Roy and George (Lacers) were going at each other. Oh the stories that were told...especially about the offsnap 3 wood and how to travel along the mesa's top @ mesa rosa from George. A Danish fellow named Henrick who was quite the links player in his own right used to whisper to me that they cheat :lol:
I played as Echoes back in those days and was lucky enough to beat Roy at a cut tourney @ Barton Creek Fazio with a -80 to his -79. That was long before 1.06 was thought of and the only win i had when over 100 players were making the cut. Luckily George didn't play that one as he would have managed a -82 as usual i'm sure.

Ah the memories :D Never did work out that Mesa Roja shot but that is where I found out about the offsnap 3W. Whenever Lacers played in an event you basically knew that the "perfect" score was needed to have a chance of winning. And pre 1.06 the putting was that much harder I seem to recall

Now , assuming I am right that he plays as Elwood , he tends not to finish events unless he achieves that level of scoring.
RoyHiggi

Postby Harpo on Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:48 am

Roy, who is playing as Elwood, Henrick or George?
Jim
Harpo

Postby JackRussellTerror on Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:06 pm

RoyHiggi wrote:Now , assuming I am right that he plays as Elwood ,

hmmmmmMMMMM ! :o ........interesting ! :wink:
Rob
JackRussellTerror

Postby Mississippi on Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:00 pm

Harpo wrote:Roy, who is playing as Elwood, Henrick or George?

Roy believes it is George. Another trip down memory lane that would be awesome would be if you could produce that picture gallery of all us linksters you used to possess Jim. I know you had many a player in that gallery. They talk about the 10 year challenge of pictures on TV these days, that would be the 20 year challenge :lol: I would resubmit 8)
Mississippi

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:19 am

Mississippi wrote:

Roy believes it is George. Another trip down memory lane that would be awesome would be if you could produce that picture gallery of all us linksters you used to possess Jim. I know you had many a player in that gallery. They talk about the 10 year challenge of pictures on TV these days, that would be the 20 year challenge :lol: I would resubmit 8)

I wasn't sure but I mentioned the name to my son who played Links way back then and he recalled Lacers using the name Elwood!
Can't be sure but Elwood is capable of posting some great rounds and only plays pro like Lacers did.
RoyHiggi

Postby Harpo on Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:21 am

Mississippi wrote:

Gosh, I went thru my "disk" a few years ago and ran across all those pics. I think I ditched them but still have some old backup disk hanging around. Now if I only had a floppy drive again. lol I got rid of some old towers I had hanging around and can't remember if one had one in them. Great memories. I will snoop around and see what I have.
Jim
Harpo

Postby Mississippi on Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:51 am

Harpo wrote:
Gosh, I went thru my "disk" a few years ago and ran across all those pics. I think I ditched them but still have some old backup disk hanging around. Now if I only had a floppy drive again. lol I got rid of some old towers I had hanging around and can't remember if one had one in them. Great memories. I will snoop around and see what I have.

I think plug n play USB floppy drives run about $10 bucks on ebay these days.Its surprising how many folk kept those little backup discs and wanted to get that info on their newer systems.
Mississippi

Postby Harpo on Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:58 am

I found a couple old backup CD's from my older machines. I did find one folder with some of the pics in it. They were:

RonNcgp
Steve Pitts (FatBloke)
Djwoods
Dan Gough
Gaborik
Jim Bragg
KilKenny
MarcWaken
TheBigKahuna
Steve Manzutti

I don't know if any of these guys are still playing. Those must have been a few of the last players that sent pics. I also found a few pdfs I made from a couple OutPlay, Outlast tourneys.
Jim
Harpo

Postby MasterMontgomery on Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:32 pm

As i recall George took great pride in finishing all rounds. He even commented on this.
Elwood on the other, does tend to quit at times. He still is one of our best players. So, is he George?
Could be. :)
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Postby Mississippi on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:22 pm

TheBigKahuna was Greenkeeps(Andy) older brother and I remember about half the peeps on that list.
I don't think Elwood is George just from the fact that he plays the mod some, Something George would never do.
Mississippi

Postby JackRussellTerror on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:19 pm

MasterMontgomery wrote:So, is he George?

my money is on Paul Willey ! :D
Rob
JackRussellTerror

Postby Mississippi on Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:01 pm

JackRussellTerror wrote:
MasterMontgomery wrote:So, is he George?

my money is on Paul Willey ! :D

Jack.... I'm very sorry we kind of highjacked your thread BUT the goat would only come back as the goat....not as a member of the Blues Brothers. I can think of 10-12 players who's skills would allow them to score the way Elwood does, you would be one if i had ever seen you shoot a mod round. There are 2 who i suspect...1 is a Canadian and the other is the Dane who ran off to see the world after his rich uncle died. They were both Blues Brother fans.
Mississippi

Postby AJMatthews on Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:09 am

Lacers the goat? Give me a break. The goat is either Roy or Paul Willey, period! Bill Crouch probably coming in 3rd. Dave Lommen (Dr Lomax) was also an absolute beast online.

Lacers was great alone in his mom's basement playing offline but when he had to play "for real" he wasn't so stellar. In the first VGA he was bounced in the elite 8 or sweet 16 (head to head online with a moderator) and in the 2nd VGA (or was it the 3rd?) he was demolished (5 or 6 strokes if memory serves) in the first "non-offline" game. I don't remember whether he was in the CNN/SI Links challenge (oflline rounds for seeding then top 64 played head to head) in 1999 or not, but I know for sure he didn't win (because I did lol).

Don't get me wrong, he was/is a great player but get him out of his lab and he was quite beatable. Yes, I knew him quite well.

--AJ
AJMatthews

Next

Return to Talk About It