Shot for Shot

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Shot for Shot

Postby RoyHiggi on Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:55 am

For those who don't like reading accounts of a round or even worse 4 rounds go elsewhere and read an advert. Today I thought I would have another go at a champ tourney and saw one called " try this" with some different and challenging courses. Before starting I saw that Giller had already played it so there was an extra challenge.
Round 1 at Kilderry was always going to be tough mainly because it is a tough course anyway but also because it was firm /fast conditions which I am struggling on big time to get used to again. From the start I knew that keeping bogeys off the card was key so I sort of felt very pleased to get through the first 2 holes in par even though I found deep rough twice and sand once. From there the game was quite good , good scrambling where needed and a good finish to end with 10 under. The highlight being a 3rd shot on a par 5 from deep rough in a [censored] to 7 feet and a bird. I looked at Giller's score and we were level after round 1.
Off to Royal Wessex which can be a grave yard if you are not careful. I had a great start with early birds but the snap was intermittent and my key memories were the par 5's which I played really badly. Every one was a miss snap off the T into deep rough and apart from the first of them I only made pars which isnt good. 10 under going to the par 18 I knew I had scored well and was hoping for the icing on the cake. A bad snap found the deep stuff and after much thought i went to get as close to the green as I could. Another bad snap put me in water so on this one up and down from a long way for par was a bonus and 10 under I was happy with, especially with 2 bogeys in it. I looked at Giller's score and we were level after round 2.
Off to Doral , which I dont think I have played for years and certainly not in champ mode. I remember little of the round except that the bunkers are well placed on every hole to catch any miss snap with a driver. So I didn't use one much! Played pretty well then on 18 at -13 I found deep rough ( who chose these courses with all the deep rough!). Direct to the pin was over water but , in theory at least , a good shot with a 5w would clear that. Question is would a miss snap as I did on 18 at Wessex. The answer after an early snap was only just as the ball hit short of the green , bounced left towards water and somehow stopped on a perch about a yard fro the lake. A good up and down for -13. I looked at Giller's score and we were level after round 3.
Finally Melbourne and I knew what score I needed and on a course where if the game was good I knew I could get it.Well the game wasnt great sadly and after 11 holes every approach shot was a miss snap. So instead of likely easy putts I was left with nothing inside 15 feet and up to 27 feet. I holed quite a few to be 10 under after 11. Very nice and on target and then finally a perfect snap on the short par 4 12th to just 13 feet. Typically I missed that one and from that one shot the game dropped away badly for 2 holes but the scrambling got me pars. A good approach at 15 but another miss snap putt from 13 feet left me at -11 after 15.
Now or never time and 2 good holes ( no putting required :) ) and I need a bird at 18 so it was good time to bottle it and stuff one into the rough. An excellent approach then left me a virtually straight putt from 16 feet. How hard is a straight putt in champ or elite when you really need it?Well it was par and -13 and looking at Gillers final score we were dead level after round 4 with 4 identical rounds.

Good fun Col. I asked once before if it was possible to see another players rounds as I would love to see the make up of Col's 4 rounds but I can't remember the answer. I assume it isnt possible yet.
RoyHiggi

Re: Shot for Shot

Postby terrell on Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:13 am

RoyHiggi wrote:Good fun Col. I asked once before if it was possible to see another players rounds as I would love to see the make up of Col's 4 rounds but I can't remember the answer. I assume it isnt possible yet.

it will be possible when mark merges the main and test sites. i'm anxious also. you guys are fun to watch. (8
terrell

Postby CoolHandAndy on Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:18 am

Hehehe

NO, i dont think we can find/see the breakdown of the events and scores per rd for each player Roy.....
Darntootin. good shootin tho!...Wessex/ Champ?.....ick'..lol
"Some people ya just can't reach"
CoolHandAndy

Postby SuzieQ on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

Roy, I see that there is one mully per round. You didn't say if you used any or not, did you?
SuzieQ

Postby RoyHiggi on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:10 pm

Let me think. Definitely on the 1st round because I mullied by accident on a short putt I had holed. I was on vent with someone at the time and I use the right mouse to talk.Soon ended that conversation. Def again at Wessex when I missed from 10 feet and I holed ther next one. I don't think I took one at Doral at all. Not sure at Melbourne but I probably used it there too.
RoyHiggi

Higgi's Park

Postby MasterMontgomery on Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:08 pm

Roy
Im planning on doing 2 courses this year. The first
is Helm's Head, and the second which will be my last is Higgi's Park.
It will be of course a park with a downtown pano . Hope
you don't mind us using your name , if so let me know.

:lol: Doug
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am

No Problem at all with that Doug , kinda flattered :)
RoyHiggi

Postby brokenclub on Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:06 am

As a wanna be F-flighter, stuck in G-flight.. I gonna try and catch these leaders in this Champ tourney .. Roy, its great to hear the play-by-play and to see that not every approach shot is a tap in. I thought it was me not being able to get inside 15 feet. In champ, just happy to hit the green when any winds up.
brokenclub

Postby brokenclub on Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:11 am

Thats g-flighter in pro not champ
brokenclub

Postby bogey0 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:14 pm

find ur game m8 :)
bogey0

Return to Talk About It