Handicap Week #16 (Glen Abbey)

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Handicap Week #16 (Glen Abbey)

Postby GoesForIt on Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:11 pm

Round#2. Just asking what is the point of putting pins in positions that no greenskeeper nor tournament committee would ever think of putting them in?
GoesForIt

Re: Handicap Week #16 (Glen Abbey)

Postby pmgolf on Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:25 pm

Com'on, admit it, Doug! The World Tour has spoiled you! :lol:

Just kidding!

Pete
pmgolf

Postby rwoodworkr on Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:43 pm

pmgolf wrote:...The World Tour has spoiled you!...

Hey, that's the truth. I just played the Classic Tour event at RTJ GT. I haven't played a regular LSPN event in ages, and now I remember why. Pete, you and Steve (European tour) have made Links golf so enjoyable with your course picks and setups. Don't ever go away!
rwoodworkr

Postby GoesForIt on Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:05 pm

rwoodworkr wrote:

Hey, that's the truth. I just played the Classic Tour event at RTJ GT. I haven't played a regular LSPN event in ages, and now I remember why. Pete, you and Steve (European tour) have made Links golf so enjoyable with your course picks and setups. Don't ever go away!

Concur
GoesForIt

Postby Steve Sullivan on Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:16 pm

rwoodworkr wrote:

I do try my best :wink:

Already chosen the Handicap setups for 2020, and I'm up to the 11th July with inputting them into LSPN. Had to have a break the last three or four weeks with work and family stuff, but hope to be back to inputting once my dad is settled in his sheltered housing :)
Steve Sullivan

Postby GoesForIt on Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:04 pm

pmgolf wrote:Com'on, admit it, Doug! The World Tour has spoiled you! :lol:

Just kidding!

Pete

It has. They are tough courses, but for the most part imminently fair.
GoesForIt

Postby GoBucks on Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:15 pm

"Will just have to delete Glen Abbey from COURSES and when it cannot be found next time I'll remember why."
From GFI, dated July of 2017. Must've forgot. :)
No matter where you go, there you are!
GoBucks

Postby GoesForIt on Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:44 pm

GoBucks wrote:"Will just have to delete Glen Abbey from COURSES and when it cannot be found next time I'll remember why."

This time for sure. :D
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:50 pm

GoBucks wrote:"Will just have to delete Glen Abbey from COURSES and when it cannot be found next time I'll remember why."

You know, it's not really Glen Abbey so much. I find it hard to believe that IRL there are some of the lumps in the greens that you see (example attached). But even at that the pin positions selected can make such lumps secondary.

An example. Mike Jones' courses often have some steep drop-offs in the front of greens and some really steep ridges running through the greens... but Pete selects pin positions where those drop-offs and ridges only come into pay for errant approach shots. Say the pin is on the lower tier and you mishit to the upper tier. You can have a downhill putt that cannot come close to stopping near the hole... but that's the penalty for the errant shot.

Round #2 of the HDCP this week uses pin position 0 (see the pic) which is nearly impossible to get an approach close and the putt... not good prospects of a make (especially in Challenging).

Say they'd used in position 14. Hit a good approach and you've got a chance at birdie. Hit it where you see me putting from and you have to go over the mound as a penalty for a bad approach. In that case the huge hump is fine.

Glen Abbey is nicely done in APCD. There some nice 3D objects, gates, buildings, etc... and I did shoot 60 raw in Round #1 with some tame pin positions. I think if it were used on the WRLD or EURO, it would be a fairer test.

I think for Cottonwood Hills, I'm going to have 8 pin positions maximum on each green. I have some alpha testers playing it now, waiting to hear back. There will not be a pin position on any green where playing FC/FC that the ball will roll back to the players feet. But I'll admit, I'm winging it on green undulations. I've been to the course, but never walked it, played it or taken pictures like I did for Carey Park Municipal or Burke Lake Par-3... and of course PGA National uses Strackaline.
Attachments
glenabbey.JPG
glenabbey.JPG (108.26 KB) Viewed 4996 times
GoesForIt

Return to Talk About It