sand shots

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Re: sand shots

Postby JackRussellTerror on Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:41 pm

BruceWallace wrote:I do the same thing that Jack does. Greenside, I do try to miss the snap a little left of bottom of meter, and I do only go up to about the 10 dot on the meter.

In a greenside trap, i'll take a LW Chip, and if I'm 33 yards away from the pin, I'll take the swing all the way to the end at the 23 dot and try (try) to hit the yellow mark at 5 o'clock. if I'm 36 yards away, i'll try to hit just to the right of the yellow mark at 5. you get a little extra distance by flying lower.

if I'm 9 yards from the flag, i'll swing the LW CHIP to the 10th dot.

naturally you have to "swing a bit harder" (add more dots) if its a steep uphill lie in the trap.

the SW straight or flop has never worked for me in a trap, whereas the LW CHIP over the years has !

I spose the easiest trap shot of all is to not get into them in the first place :wink:

you know what the easiest shot in IRL golf is ? the trap shot >>>> its where you don't actually strike the ball :D
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:04 am

JackRussellTerror wrote:
BruceWallace wrote:I do the same thing that Jack does. Greenside, I do try to miss the snap a little left of bottom of meter, and I do only go up to about the 10 dot on the meter.

In a greenside trap, i'll take a LW Chip, and if I'm 33 yards away from the pin, I'll take the swing all the way to the end at the 23 dot and try (try) to hit the yellow mark at 5 o'clock. if I'm 36 yards away, i'll try to hit just to the right of the yellow mark at 5. you get a little extra distance by flying lower.

if I'm 9 yards from the flag, i'll swing the LW CHIP to the 10th dot.

naturally you have to "swing a bit harder" (add more dots) if its a steep uphill lie in the trap.

the SW straight or flop has never worked for me in a trap, whereas the LW CHIP over the years has !

I spose the easiest trap shot of all is to not get into them in the first place :wink:

you know what the easiest shot in IRL golf is ? the trap shot >>>> its where you don't actually strike the ball :D

Very interesting. I think i have said it before but I have never even tried a chip shot from a bunker and that is strange considering I do struggle with short sand shots. i.e. anything under about 35 feet. Anthing over that and maybe up to 46/8 yards I am ok with
RoyHiggi

Postby KunkleMan on Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:39 am

Just take the full swing but cut the distance in half on those buried lies.
For normal lies, LW full swing but don't come anywhere near the 6. 4 or 5 is fine.
Default distance is about 21 yards---go up or down from there.
LW flop distance about 47 feet. Below that distance you need to cut back on 12 spot accordingly.
Uphill or downhill lie increase or decrease by clicking up or down. How much will be learned by experience.
KunkleMan

Postby bobo123 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:28 am

tks to all I forgot I had these charts, I will get them tattooed on my arm lol senior moment
bobo123

Postby MrChaucer on Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:23 pm

One the [few] things I do well in Links is play sand. I use the 12/6 and NEVER the Chip. I dinna see it mentioned above, but you actually have a lotta flex on that shot. You do not need to hit the 6.....you can hit 1-3 dots SHORT of the six a make a great shot. If you hit anywhere PAST the 6, its gonne be a real bad shot.

Now, if I just knew how to make my driver hit some Fairways.... :(
MrChaucer

Postby JackRussellTerror on Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:51 pm

[quote="JackRussellTerror"]nahhhhhhhh just use a LW CHIP and hack it out ! quote]

I rest my case.......... :D

this week at Dove Valley Ranch 8)

LW CHIP.SHT
(8.13 KB) Downloaded 548 times
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Previous

Return to Talk About It