Larry W Tournament

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby KCJammer on Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:03 pm

Larry_Warrilow wrote:kc, once the lspn site becomes fully operational, with plsa, lsch, lstr, and flight events etc, there will be no need for the kind of event that i have been putting up on the arcade each week.

I'm disappointed to hear that but I understand your rationale. You put together a nice little tourney each week Larry. Sorry I haven't been able to participate more often, but other responsibilities have me tied up right now. Still, I follow these threads and check out the scoreboards daily. Well done.
KCJammer

Postby terrell on Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:41 pm

@lw

i also understand your rationale. but you have done a heckuva job putting these jewels together. would you mind terribly, if whoever takes over the responsibility of the plsa, picks your brain periodically for ideas? sort of like on a consulting basis?
terrell

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:16 pm

over the years on the old tour, DC always came up with a wide variety of venues and conditions each week, but he admitted that there was no way that he could put up the enormous number of events that he was required to manufacture each week on the old tour and have each round of each event be based on any detailed knowledge of specific hole locations, or hole yardages.

that is the main advantage that we now have over the old random tour procedure. i usually play a new venue in practice mode (with some mullies) that i am going to use weeks before i will use it as a tournament venue on the site (and i am already pretty familiar with most of these files from long experience). i have been disappointed lately only once (at crandon park) about the lack of variety of hole locations that actually appeared during the event. the colonial event was just the opposite: a ton of tough edge hole locations no matter how i defined the overall hole locations for each round.

anyway, those who compete in my champ invitational events on a regular basis know that i try for variety without excess. the course architecture always provides the basic golf problems.

i try to provide course conditions consistent with believable changing weather patterns over a tour week, sometimes radical, other times pretty stable, but never the same in any week. interestingly, DC may have accomplished the same effect over an entire season by random value assignments. the only difference with my current champ events is that the guys playing my events know that there is a rational mind considering every controlable condition that they have to overcome. lw

_________
Larry_Warrilow

Postby Westview on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:34 pm

Larry_Warrilow wrote: there are a lot of talented pro level players that would be scoring low in these champ events if only they would hook up and check it out. lw

I really don't think Champ level events will draw a larger crowd like Pro or Am because of three words..."No step counting". :shock:

It's no secret that many players count steps when putting, and Champ does not alow for that. Without step counting, they would be completely clueless of how to aim their putt.

I'm not saying all players are clueless, there are many players here who are skilled with the BLI and have a good feel for the putt that comes with years of experience.
Nothing can escape the law of Karma
Westview

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:11 pm

westy, the grid is the grid whatever the level. i have never been a counter, and believe step counting (especially at champ) is pretty much a crock, as opposed to having a feel for the contour. a moderate breaking putt is not a whole lot different at pro or champ. that is why veteran 2k3 pro players should have no fear of 2k3 champ putting, unless they have the dreaded yip syndrome. and anyone who can't drill in a straight 10 foot putt at any level or condition, ought to start thinking about taking up model trains as a hobby. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby Westview on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:31 pm

Larry_Warrilow wrote: and anyone who can't drill in a straight 10 foot putt at any level or condition, ought to start thinking about taking up model trains as a hobby. lw

Lol! Yes I agree, anyone that cannot sink a straight 10ft putt should think of another hobby.
I suggest buying "Elevator Simulator Pro" you can simulate riding on elevators from exotic locations all over the world! Up..Down..Up....stop on 4th floor...what a thrill!!
Nothing can escape the law of Karma
Westview

Postby SuzieQ on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:37 pm

Jim, you are incorrect in saying that step counting does not exist in champ. The steps are there to count, but in that level (champ), it just doesn't show how far you are aiming from the hole on the screen. There are other ways thou. :D
SuzieQ

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:58 pm

Seems like I am getting some stick on this thread :D What is Windows anyway?

All totally deserved tho.

Best way to putt is to actually watch what you do and learn from it. Then experience will start to take over and you don't have to lean on putting charts. Then when you move onto elite you start to look at and use the BLI and a new learning has to happen.

Just recently I was chatting to some ex Linksters in the othet golf game I play and the concensus with them was that Links was great BUT it was too easy to stick the pin and get birds. I of course said well if its great and pro was too easy get back there and play elite ( I should have said champ of course). I got the inevitable answer that elite is toooooo hard. Just can't please some people.
RoyHiggi

Postby terrell on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:34 pm

Larry_Warrilow wrote:over the years on the old tour, DC always came up with a wide variety of venues and conditions each week, but he admitted that there was no way that he could put up the enormous number of events that he was required to manufacture each week on the old tour and have each round of each event be based on any detailed knowledge of specific hole locations, or hole yardages.

that is the main advantage that we now have over the old random tour procedure. i usually play a new venue in practice mode (with some mullies) that i am going to use weeks before i will use it as a tournament venue on the site (and i am already pretty familiar with most of these files from long experience). i have been disappointed lately only once (at crandon park) about the lack of variety of hole locations that actually appeared during the event. the colonial event was just the opposite: a ton of tough edge hole locations no matter how i defined the overall hole locations for each round.

anyway, those who compete in my champ invitational events on a regular basis know that i try for variety without excess. the course architecture always provides the basic golf problems.

i try to provide course conditions consistent with believable changing weather patterns over a tour week, sometimes radical, other times pretty stable, but never the same in any week. interestingly, DC may have accomplished the same effect over an entire season by random value assignments. the only difference with my current champ events is that the guys playing my events know that there is a rational mind considering every controlable condition that they have to overcome. lw

_________

is that a 'yes' or 'no'?
terrell

Postby KCJammer on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:59 pm

terrell wrote:
is that a 'yes' or 'no'?

Who cares?
Look What I Found!Image
KCJammer

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:43 pm

T, for generic plsa (and lsch, and lstr) style events for all levels, once the site is totally operational, we can't reasonably expect to get the custom tailored events that can now be put up on the arcade by individuals. my guess is that even the best arcade events will probably not offer any ranking points when all is said and done.

that being said, if the admin asked for possible plsa (or other event) programing details weeks in advance, no member with any insight could refuse to supply certain specific ideas. even if on a regular basis. lw

Postby FixAmer1st on Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:58 pm

KCJammer wrote:
terrell wrote:
is that a 'yes' or 'no'?

Who cares?
Look What I Found!Image

You can't tell me that this one is not real.

Of course I know it isn't but sure does look it.

Jerry
My apologies for plagiarizing Mel Brooks but "It’s GOOD to Play Links!"
FixAmer1st

Postby Al_Frescoe on Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:10 am

Westview wrote:
Larry_Warrilow wrote: and anyone who can't drill in a straight 10 foot putt at any level or condition, ought to start thinking about taking up model trains as a hobby. lw

Lol! Yes I agree, anyone that cannot sink a straight 10ft putt should think of another hobby.
I suggest buying "Elevator Simulator Pro" you can simulate riding on elevators from exotic locations all over the world! Up..Down..Up....stop on 4th floor...what a thrill!!

So, you guys have never missed the snap just a teeeeeny, tiny bit on a straight 10 footer and seen the bird fly the coop?

Guess I'll look into that new WGG sim (Watch Grass Grow). The Elevator Sim sounds cool too :P

Sure wish you would move your tourney to the other site Larry (I know, I have mentioned it before ... lol). With your promotional skills it should be a breeze to entice the champs over there. We have not seen hide nor hair of Mark lately and it has been quite awhile, so who knows what the status is. Even though its not finished over there, it is still a big improvement as it stands.

Cheers

Al 8)
Al_Frescoe

Previous

Return to Talk About It