Just a question

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Just a question

Postby MasterMontgomery on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:17 pm

Let me clarify, this is a question not a complaint. For years now I have considered myself a good player.
Mostly in the Pro or Ammy skills. I have tried champ and challenging but was not very good. Anyway, there has
been and still are people who beat me, and some on a regular basis. I just take this as there are some better
than me and that is that Now to explain how I play then to the question. Once I tee off, I look at the lie up or
down, check up or down to the green, check the wind, then pick the club and hit the ball. All of this is
3 click classic. So I move along quite well, right? WRONG. A handful of guys that I know of out play me
3 or 4 rounds to my one round. And, these are the same guys who normally beat me. So what am I doing
wrong, or what are they doing to keep such a speed up? Thanks for all help.
P.S. Wish I could play that fast would come in handy

Thanks
Doug :)
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Re: Just a question

Postby rwoodworkr on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Two things that I do to speed up play. I play offline (which eliminates the leaderboard between holes), and I have postshot auto continue enabled (if you want to save a shot, hit the space bar before the ball comes to a stop, then the postshot screen will open):

offline.jpg
offline.jpg (45.54 KB) Viewed 11552 times

postshot.jpg
postshot.jpg (61.97 KB) Viewed 11471 times
rwoodworkr

Postby JackRussellTerror on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:08 pm

rwoodworkr wrote:I play offline (which eliminates the leaderboard between holes),

agreed........play offline.

However, don't like to play fast. I just take me time and enjoy the journey.........playing no more than one round in a 24 hour day. "smell the roses" kinda thing.

someone gave me a hint years ago and my game improved dramatically - still trying to employ that advice even today ! That advice ? .......... "don't play when you WANT to. Play when you are READY to !".

:wink:
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby Maximus61 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:57 am

Doug,

I play slowly and it's mostly by choice. When I try to speed up it seems my play suffers so I take my time. I'll often have a movie or a sporting event playing on TV and I might stop between holes to view the sporting event more closely or I'll sit out for a bit to run back a favorite scene from a movie. Sometimes my wife will even interrupt me to have me do something that takes a few minutes or more, which I hate BTW :lol:

I always play online (I'm not really sure how to play a round offline) and also notice how some folks will play an entire 18 holes while I'm only on no.10 or 11 even though we may have started around the same time and I'm trying to keep up. I marvel at how they do it that quickly but usually I chalk it up to my old computer and my usual pace.

Either way it's fun to play when I see another player playing even if I lag behind. :)
Maximus61

Postby pmgolf on Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:53 pm

I play slowly, offline, and calculate and examine every shot just like I would do IRL. It takes me an hour to play - sometimes more, and I enjoy playing that way. Also, there is no difference I can see between offline and online except for having the leaderboard interruptions.

Pete
pmgolf

Postby Bassmaster on Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:03 pm

I always play online. I'll look at the pin position first and figure out which club I'd like to come in with and then hit my drive. My rounds are usually in the 20-25 minute range. I might walk up to the house after 9 holes to check on our disabled Son, just to make sure he's OK and not getting into trouble. I don't use charts but I do have a notebook with a all the courses listed. There's some hidden trees on some of these courses. LOL
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby Armand on Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:40 am

There is a method that one could use to play a round very quickly. You can make a registry edit so that the game does not show the ball flight. That is, you make the stroke input, and then proceed almost immediately to where the ball will end up. I doubt that players are using this, but I guess it's possible.

This registry tweak was used by Jerry Garlisch when he would create hole handicaps, I believe. Most players would agree that not seeing the ball flight drastically takes away enjoyment from the game. As noted, the intent of the registry tweak wasn't to play the game faster, but to get faster results from the game where no one cares to see the ball flight (that is, only for hole handicapping purposes).

I probably have the SkipBallFlight registry tweak tucked away somewhere in case someone wants it. There may even be a post elsewhere here or at Links Corner providing a download link.
Armand

Postby JackRussellTerror on Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:56 pm

Bassmaster wrote:My rounds are usually in the 20-25 minute range. I might walk up to the house after 9 holes

gawd bloody hell, how can you play so QUICK and online too ! 5 or 10 minutes off for a walk after 9 holes.........are you playing each 9 in 5 or 10 minutes ??? :o :shock:

I play 'quick' and don't muck around and my rounds take 35 minutes offline.
Rob
JackRussellTerror

Postby RoyHiggi on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:42 am

Doug , i would say what you do (pre shot routine) is pretty much the norm. I guess it depends on how much time it takes to do it.
As you suggest the T shot takes basically no time at all ( unless elite or at times even champ level) but then it's about hitting the right shot to the pin to get close enough for the birdie or even for the hole out. Certainly playing ammy it has to be for a hole out as they are pretty well what makes the winning scores.

I don't have charts or course logs to look at so it has to be a quick look on the green to see where you are likely to land the ball and assess how its going to react. Tis only a matter of a very few seconds though and away you go. A little different with putting as you see what's in front of you immediately, plant the marker and hit it. Virtually no time at all unless you have to do calculations, check with sheets or whatever. Only a few seconds difference for any shot I am sure but if you are playing say 40 shots it only takes 6 seconds a shot to add 4 minutes to a round!

Then of course it help to hit loads of shots close for gimmees to save having to make a putt :lol: I guess I play quickly but I know not even close to the quickest out there.
RoyHiggi

Postby Bassmaster on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:44 am

JackRussellTerror wrote:
Bassmaster wrote:My rounds are usually in the 20-25 minute range. I might walk up to the house after 9 holes

gawd bloody hell, how can you play so QUICK and online too ! 5 or 10 minutes off for a walk after 9 holes.........are you playing each 9 in 5 or 10 minutes ??? :o :shock:

I don't really know Rob. I just start playing and then after 9 holes I usually go up to the house to make sure the disabled Son is behaving and then walk back down and grab a beer and finish. I don't use charts or step count on the greens. I do use notebooks in which I have a page in them for every course that shows tiered greens, fairway drop offs, short cuts, etc, etc, etc, or the occasional "hidden obstacle".
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby RoyHiggi on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:37 pm

Bassmaster wrote:
JackRussellTerror wrote:

I don't really know Rob. I just start playing and then after 9 holes I usually go up to the house to make sure the disabled Son is behaving and then walk back down and grab a beer and finish. I don't use charts or step count on the greens. I do use notebooks in which I have a page in them for every course that shows tiered greens, fairway drop offs, short cuts, etc, etc, etc, or the occasional "hidden obstacle".

That must be one massive notebook :lol:
RoyHiggi

Postby Dundee on Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:28 am

If you play offline...how do your scores get posted to the tournament that is online??
Dundee

Postby JackRussellTerror on Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:36 am

Dundee wrote:If you play offline...how do your scores get posted to the tournament that is online??

you are still connected to the internet as you play OFFLINE ! so when your round is finished (playing OFFLINE), your scores go straight thru to the Links server, BECAUSE you are still connected to the internet. Comprehendo ?

so all your scores for all holes go to the server all at once at the same time.........at the end. When you play ONLINE however, each hole's score goes to the server after you finish each hole.

:P
Rob
JackRussellTerror

Postby KunkleMan on Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:38 am

You can turn off the leaderboard while playing on line. 25 minutes on average sounds right.
KunkleMan

Postby albatros on Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:19 am

interesting how many peeps play differently. i play about 20 to 25 minutes per round but must admit i do the grip it and rip it method and rarely check anything ;}~

can do 18 minutes when no distractions (i.e. doorbell ringing, phone call etc) only notice since that makes it a minute per hole.

rarely try to do that on purpose though since my routine is usually breakfast and then 2 or three rounds with my koffie since other games i play on pewter do not lend themselves to enjoying the koffie :lol:

albatros

a bouncing ball never sleeps
albatros

Next

Return to Talk About It