Courses Available for LSPN Events

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Courses Available for LSPN Events

Postby txTarHeel on Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:10 am

Since we're not supposed to add comments to the New Courses Added sticky thread, I thought I'd start this new one.

First and foremost, I would like to thank Warren (and whoever else may be involved) for the effort put into making all these courses available for events here at LSPN. It's so nice to have so many options for courses for our events, especially when there are so many outstanding APCD courses.

I do have one question though about the available courses. Why is Lions Municipal Golf Course on the list? I've never tried to create anything with the APCD, so take it for what it's worth (one man's opinion) when I say that Lions is one of the worst APCD courses I've ever tried. It's a shame too, because when I first saw this course at Links Corner I was excited because Lions is a muni here in Austin that I've actually played quite a few times, so I was hoping I would like it.

Anyway, just curious how Lions Municipal managed to make the list.

Thanks.

---Lonnie
txTarHeel

Postby KCJammer on Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:15 am

I'm not sure what, if any, criteria we have here for adding course files to the user-created tournaments. It could be that it only takes a single simple request. That could explain Lions Municipal's presence on the list. Who knows ... maybe the designer is a member here and wanted to see his course on the list for tournament play?
KCJammer

Re: Courses Available for LSPN Events

Postby Tresclub on Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:23 am

txTarHeel wrote:... Anyway, just curious how Lions Municipal managed to make the list.
Thanks.
---Lonnie

Lions Municipal was a course requested by an LSPN player.
"I don't play golf, because when I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it." - Rogers Hornsby
Tresclub

Postby garfran on Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:28 pm

There are probably as many different opinions on what makes an APCD course desirable for inclusion on "the list", as opinions on anything else. Many of those on the list, I would not care to play again, but one I have had a look at the past couple of days I would firmly recommend and that is "Kylane Country Club". A mountain course, somewhat similar to Chateau Whistler, but without the CW pano. Wonderful plantings of trees, enviromental sounds, spectacular mountain pano and great elevations. Would love to see it available on the list.

Warren, should I copy this to the other thread, as a request?
garfran

Postby BruceWallace on Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:40 pm

garfran wrote:There are probably as many different opinions on what makes an APCD course desirable for inclusion on "the list", as opinions on anything else. Many of those on the list, I would not care to play again, but one I have had a look at the past couple of days I would firmly recommend and that is "Kylane Country Club". A mountain course, somewhat similar to Chateau Whistler, but without the CW pano. Wonderful plantings of trees, enviromental sounds, spectacular mountain pano and great elevations. Would love to see it available on the list.

Warren, should I copy this to the other thread, as a request?

I'll second that! And, I would love to see Kylane redone for Links 2K3.
BruceWallace

Postby terrell on Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:01 pm

garfran wrote:I would firmly recommend and that is "Kylane Country Club".

wow. i third that motion. great course.
terrell

Postby Tresclub on Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:16 pm

garfran wrote:... but one I have had a look at the past couple of days I would firmly recommend and that is "Kylane Country Club". Warren, should I copy this to the other thread, as a request?

Not necessary to copy it G, I'll get it added this afternoon. Thaks for the RX guys :!:

Edit: Done :!: :!: :!:
"I don't play golf, because when I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it." - Rogers Hornsby
Tresclub

Postby garfran on Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:28 pm

Don't know if the list of courses has been exhausted in terms of capacity, but if not I would like to see Mornington Peninsular GC added. It is LC recommended and gets a great wrap from Links Corner reviewer Joe Turner. In comparison to other links type courses, I believe that it is up there with the best and it would be excellent to have another 2k1 course on the list.

Mornington Peninsula GC by Joel Geysen

Reviewed by Joe Turner `Loner'

October 2002

How do I say this without offending all of the utterly fantastic links courses designed by the top designers that we have in the Links community today. This is the type of links course that I prefer, one that has a little more definition between the fairways, roughs etc. After all the granddaddy of all links courses Old St. Andrews has well defined areas…enough. This course has mildly patterned tee boxes, a smooth plush looking fairway with a semi rough leading into long grass culminating in greens with a faint fringe, all which makes for a most attractive course blend. The wooden steps leading up to the tee boxes as well as the wooden bridges fit in this type of “natural” course beautifully and do the sand dunes with their short pale scrub brush, and fields of what he calls tree scrub. A tall tree is nowhere to be found which is fitting for this course. The beach and ocean textures, the foam and white caps are outstanding in their looks and color. The only disappointment I found in this picture postcard course were the “rock fields” on hole # 14 just to the right of the hole between the beach and the long grass (rough). It didn’t look at all natural to me with its perfect checkerboard or more of a Harris Tweed pattern.

Starting around hole # 5 water appeared on the course as a hazard for that hole guarding the green and later as the occasional decorative object. The fairways were medium sized and even though well guarded they seemed to be quite easy to hit. They had a few drops places beautifully placed you had the maximum roll for your extra effort drive. The greens, ah the greens, I loved both the simple and the complex breaks he had going for them from at least 10 to 15 feet out. If you were any further from the cup you will encounter the tiers that were set up to raise your putt count, most pleasurable. The elevations where so perfect that I only had to slightly adjust the clubs that the caddie handed me. They were like playing a course within a course, after a while I was looking forward to the greens more than the rest of the hole. Yes, I would rate the putting just below medium. The greens at times seemed to be guarded but it was mostly their small to less than medium size that proved to be the hazard.

From what I could tell this was Joel’s first course, I was certain that he had designed before, if it is his first its an amazing start to a new leading designer. He took full advantage of the advice of other designer’s advice and their generosity in providing him with superb textures, beta testers and other sources that are available to all, but one that few seem to take. The holes are challenging up to a point, it is not a difficult over challenging course but a course that is very much one that all will enjoy playing, I did, Its an amazingly small download in comparison the some of the giants today yet can stand with them in quality. If your asking is this a good download yes, download it and enjoy it.
garfran

Postby Tresclub on Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:47 pm

garfran wrote:Don't know if the list of courses has been exhausted in terms of capacity, but if not I would like to see Mornington Peninsular GC added. It is LC recommended and gets a great wrap from Links Corner reviewer Joe Turner. In comparison to other links type courses, I believe that it is up there with the best and it would be excellent to have another 2k1 course on the list.

Mornington Peninsula GC by Joel Geysen

Your wish, is my command. Mornington Peninsula GC has been added!!!
Tresclub

Postby garfran on Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:52 pm

Tkx so much Warren.
garfran

Postby terrell on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:22 pm

ok, i take back everything i said about the criteria for adding apcd courses should be based on more than the opinion of just one person. garfran officially qualifies as one person i would accept his opinion as being good enough for me. obviously a irl golfer.
terrell

Postby garfran on Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:01 pm

Tkx Terrel, but I am just an ordinary old player who loves Links. I get to play a lot of offline golf, as I am retired from the workforce and get to experience many of the wonderful 2k1 courses that are available, even look at 2k3 a bit. In a way it is a bit of a shame that not all of the really good ones can be included, but there's got to be limits.
garfran

Postby jeff1955 on Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:23 am

I guess its great to have some new courses to play - especially the well made later offerings. However I don't know if you're like me - 350 courses or so on my HD and if you dropped me somewhere on 340 of them I wouldn't know which course I was playing. The obvious exceptions Rivendell, Devil's Island, Slainte, Any of the Xilvers, Piazza Metallica etc.

Obviously the 'novelty courses'; Gilligan's Island, Craters of the Moon, Firefighters Challenge etc are attempts, albeit lighthearted, to do something different. I suppose there is a quickly reached limit of how 'different' holes can be made in a course attempting some sort of reality.
"If only you could see what I have seen with your eyes" - Roy Batty
jeff1955

Return to Talk About It