"connection failed"

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

"connection failed"

Postby AZWilly on Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:33 am

got a game...got someone to join...tried to launch, but conn. failed? Any ideas?
patience is a virtue few possess
AZWilly

Postby mark on Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:37 am

More than likely a port issue. Are either of you behind a router? If so, you'll need to setup port forwarding and forward the directx ports to your NAT ip address.

The ports are:

and
2300-2400

Mark
mark

Postby AZWilly on Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:46 am

Thanks mark,GL000 suggested hitting control key, which worked, but then it said "hostname failed"??
AZWilly

Postby OB_D-Day on Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:19 am

I also got the connection failed notice when trying to join a game. I have my machine configured to the DMZ on my router. Trust me, I'll check into other possible causes, and post back if/when I find the cause... 8) :lol:
OB_D-Day

Postby mark on Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:40 pm

Also, after talking to someone else he said he gets this problem but can connect via Direct IP just fine. Is that the case here?

Mark
mark

Postby AZWilly on Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:13 pm

opened ports like you mentioned and works fine thanks
AZWilly

Postby OB_D-Day on Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:44 pm

Yes Mark I can connect directly just fine. Figured out that the problem may not have been on my end after all, but the person I was trying to connect with, because later in the day, I could connect, and also host, which I hadn't tried before. Thanks Mark, keep pluggin away :D :shock:
OB_D-Day

Postby HTP_Tweety on Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:11 pm

I have noticed that there will likely be a failure to connect for those joining a host who is making his first ever attempt to host. In that event, it has been my experience that if the host tries again, it will work. Probably has something to do with the file that had to be installed on that initial launch.

A second observation is that a host with a slow pc may take too long getting into Links' Waiting to Begin Game room resulting Links timing out and giving Failure to Connect for those joiners who clicked Start too soon (before the Host was in the Waiting Room). Similarly, I have timed out waiting for a slow host to get into the Waiting Room (we were connected on ventrilo) before clicking my Start button. I hope Mark increases the time til timeout in the Game Room as well as in the lobby.
HTP_Tweety

Postby mark on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:37 am

Thanks tweety. That's exactly what I'm going to do. I'll increase the time inbetween the host launch and when clients see the Start button.

Mark
mark

Return to Talk About It