not about Links, and by right should be deleted... but~

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

not about Links, and by right should be deleted... but~

Postby Bruce Bo on Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:41 am

there's a knowledgable group of people here, and i dont know where else to ask.
i wrote to Netscape, but as you can imagine, i've yet to receive a reply :P

1st.. anyone use Netscape? v7.2 to be exact...

if not, i'll just delete this post in a day or tw2.

i'm using winXP pro, and i use Netscape. a couple weeks ago i upgraded to v8. mistake. 1st it no longer has an included email package. then i noticed some strange things happening in games that i hadnt seen before. to make a long story short, i uninstalled v8 (it was a stand-alone installation, its own folder and all)... well that seemed to go well until i opened v7.. i think it also deleted some other software, and i dont know what.

my homepage is comcast.net. it freezes and i get the little "error message" box (send report or not). after choosing either, netscape and all related windows (email) close. the system is ok.

but a couple other pages i visit have a similar reaction.
major league baseball (mlb.com) and a racing page (http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/)

what appears to be common reaction is all these pages have some advert that is movie like.

i checked my program folders and i have adobe flash v9 installed. but after that i'm stumped as to where to look, consider, install or have Netscape look for as a pluggin. i even reinstalled v7 but no joy.

i can access all the above pages normally using IE7.... but i like Netscape.
any ideas?
Bruce Bo
Forum Moderator

LinksOnlineLeague Admin
Bruce Bo
Site Admin

Postby terrell on Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:54 am

hi, bruce. apparently, i had installed 8.1.2 a long time ago, but i don't remember a lot about it. it wasn't enough to make me stop using opera or firefox.

i just uninstalled netscape 8.1.2, and i'm reinstalling it. the first box that comes up on installation is asking if you want to automatically use the internet explorer rendering engine. i'm sure i probably answered 'yes' the first time. this time i unticked the radio button, and i'll see how rendering pages go.

edit: even though it's not links related, i love posts like this.
terrell

Postby Bruce Bo on Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:04 am

terrell wrote:hi, bruce. apparently, i had installed 8.1.2 a long time ago, but i don't remember a lot about it. it wasn't enough to make me stop using opera or firefox.

i just uninstalled netscape 8.1.2, and i'm reinstalling it. the first box that comes up on installation is asking if you want to automatically use the internet explorer rendering engine. i'm sure i probably answered 'yes' the first time. this time i unticked the radio button, and i'll see how rendering pages go.

edit: even though it's not links related, i love posts like this.

actually i do too.. i think they could help others even inadvertedly.

i recall that question coming up, and because i Didnt want IE to be the default anything (thinking it would prefer netscape v7) i chose 'no'.

if you think this should be handled between us, i've PM'd you my email addy
Bruce Bo
Forum Moderator

LinksOnlineLeague Admin
Bruce Bo
Site Admin

Postby Tresclub on Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:42 pm

We need a Tech Corner forum, for topics just such as this. Not necessarily Links related, but containing a wealth of handy information.
"I don't play golf, because when I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it." - Rogers Hornsby
Tresclub

Postby Bruce Bo on Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:01 pm

Tresclub wrote:We need a Tech Corner forum, for topics just such as this. Not necessarily Links related, but containing a wealth of handy information.

let me run that by Mark...
and i'll set it up :)
Bruce Bo
Forum Moderator

LinksOnlineLeague Admin
Bruce Bo
Site Admin

Postby terrell on Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:04 pm

hey, warren, this isn't meant as any disrespect for linkscorner. but the first time i ever went there, there were 27 or so forums to choose from. ok, so i clicked on something that looked interesting. there was a whole page of animated gifs and full page ads for signatures, finding what the poster wanted to say was somewhat of a chore.

on the other hand, i really like the simplicity here. everything's concise, to the point, and there aren't a plethora of forums to choose from. the animated gif thing hasn't exploded to annoying yet. though the sirius stuff is getting there.

pragmatists are ardent believers in the kiss principle.
terrell

Postby Bruce Bo on Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:13 pm

terrell wrote:
on the other hand, i really like the simplicity here. everything's concise, to the point, and there aren't a plethora of forums to choose from. the animated gif thing hasn't exploded to annoying yet. though the sirius stuff is getting there.

pragmatists are ardent believers in the kiss principle.

so thats 1 for and 1 against? :)
Bruce Bo
Forum Moderator

LinksOnlineLeague Admin
Bruce Bo
Site Admin

Postby Freefaller on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:12 pm

Really over time how many non-Links related tech issues have come up? maybe 5 in the last 3 years, 2-1 against.
I reserve the right to be completly wrong
Freefaller

Postby beerzebub on Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:36 pm

I rarely post but learn a lot from reading about other peeps problems and solutions. So I guess thats 2-2 ? I really just wanted to ask Terrel why I have to log in twice with Opera and only once when using IE ! Didn't see a more appropriate place to do that.
Jimbo
beerzebub

Postby terrell on Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:06 pm

beerzebub wrote:I rarely post but learn a lot from reading about other peeps problems and solutions. So I guess thats 2-2 ? I really just wanted to ask Terrel why I have to log in twice with Opera and only once when using IE ! Didn't see a more appropriate place to do that.
Jimbo

not only do you have the coolest moniker (beerzebub), but that's the funniest post this month.

definitely a cookie issue. are you allowing cookies in preferences|advanced|cookies? there are 3 cookies that need to be set for http://www.lspn.net. do you have a software firewall, e.g. zonealarm, blocking cookies to this site?
terrell

Postby beerzebub on Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:12 pm

Thanks, Terrell. Just noticed I spelled your name wrong in the first post, sorry 'bout that!
Looks like I had four cookies allowed for lspn.net so I lowered the security one notch to trusted in McAffee Firewall and that seemed to do the trick. I stole the handle from my bro' so can't take any creative credit but it suited me better anyway. I've been known to consume a helluva lot of beer on occasion.
Jimbo
beerzebub

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:30 am

we seem to have just the right amount of forums here. game problems have their specific forums, and whatever other problems members might have are well within the bounds of this general forum. the compact nature of our forum structure pretty much guarantees that someone with expertise will read and reply in short order. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby DennisHarris on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:09 pm

I agree with Larry. We have just the right amount of forums now. The occasional non Links related (help me) post seems to get resolved in short order by the experts anyway.

That said, including such posts into the tech section for future reference could aso be helpful.
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

Postby sgt_cook on Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:03 pm

:lol: I dont know about that. After reading some of the posts, I think we might need a P iss and moan section where you can take your arguments to.

:wink:
sgt_cook

Return to Talk About It