Course Names and Filenames

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Course Names and Filenames

Postby txTarHeel on Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:12 pm

Does anybody happen to have a list, spreadsheet, database, etc. that correlates course names with their filenames? After all these years of playing Links, I'm finally going to try to keep up what courses I actually have and it's not necessarily easily to look at a file named "BhCyn2k3.CRZ" and say, "Oh yeah, that file is for The Canyons Course at Bighorn."

Or if you know of a way to get this information from some files that Links keeps around, that would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance.

---Lonnie
txTarHeel

Postby terrell on Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:16 pm

terrell

Postby txTarHeel on Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:44 pm

Nice. I had looked at that post a while back, but didn't remember it having both course name and filename.

So, what about APCD courses? Has anybody made a list for those?
txTarHeel

Postby Freefaller on Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:09 pm

txTarHeel wrote:So, what about APCD courses? Has anybody made a list for those?

Well, I've been hanging around here for about 5 yrs and don't recall ever seeing one for APCD's, you might want to ask at links corner as APCD crses have been in use there longer than here. LOL, if not maybe you could be the first one to do a list.
I reserve the right to be completly wrong
Freefaller

Postby Armand on Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:17 pm

Lonnie,

My list of courses is in Excel, but could be easily changed to a simple text file, if you don't have Excel. It includes the APCD courses, the P4P courses, and the MS/Access courses. In total, there are 1239 courses listed. If you're interested, let me know what format and what email address you want it sent to.

Armand
Armand

Postby IanDLS on Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:47 am

Try the Links Corner User Database and have it display what you want... then dump and print.
IanDLS

Postby KCJammer on Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:00 am

IanDLS wrote:Try the Links Corner User Database and have it display what you want... then dump and print.

But the database doesn't identify the filename, does it? The OP is looking for a listing of course files that identifies course names along with their corresponding filenames.
KCJammer

Postby terrell on Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:18 am

i know this is probably a silly question (it won't be my first, or last), but what possible purpose does a list of all courses serve? i've never had such a list, and i'm a somewhat reasonably adjusted, happy, content individual.

unless you're advertising your course list for sale.
terrell

Postby Armand on Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:43 pm

terrell,

My list serves my own purposes of rating the courses as I play them. Once I play and rate them, I move them into appropriately named sub-directories within the "Courses" directory. Courses that are rated below a certain level are thus removed from my course listing. I have collected all of the released CRZ files (well, at least most of them) and many of the course names do not match the filenames. I find it easier to match the course names to the CRZ names in Excel rather than scrolling through them in the Course Manager to find what the CRZ file is that I have to move. I also have added the designer, the release date, and location for the courses; if I feel like playing a course from South Africa, for instance, I filter the data and I have a list of choices.

I have absolutely no desire to sell the list or otherwise make any profit from it. I also have no desire to share my ratings with anyone (I remove this part of the spreadsheet before I send it.) Whether or not you or anyone has such a list should have no impact on anyone's perception of whether someone is or isn't a "somewhat resonably adjusted, happy, content individual". In that regard, your comment (not your question) is silly indeed.

Armand
Armand

Postby terrell on Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:56 pm

armand, your first paragraph was very logical and satisfied any curiosity i might have for anyone desiring such a list. i find myself forgetting certain courses because we don't play them all the time, and i've made no records of how the courses play. such a list might come in pretty handy indeed.

however, your second paragraph denigrated into some sort of paranoid rant i'm not quite sure where it came from. such a rant is usually indicative of some deep seeded insecurity of being questioned about methods/motives. i'll accept your first paragraph as thoroughly acceptable, and you'll have to sleep off whatever paranoid delusions precipitated the second.
terrell

Postby Armand on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:00 pm

terrell,

The second paragraph was a dig at your comment about not having a list and still being happy/content/etc. I do not feel the comment was required to further explain why you questioned the list's purpose/value, other than a dig at me and anyone else who may find it useful. It is my course list (isn't it?) that we are discussing, and I took offense to the comment.

I interpreted your comment to suggest that anyone looking for a such a list may not be reasonably adjusted, happy, content individuals. I disputed my interpretation with a response to you (my second paragraph) that I hoped was clear - perhaps it isn't. I don't think I need to re-write it or explain it again, given what I've replied with here.

I also believe is best to leave comments such as "paranoid delusions" and "deep-seeded insecurities" about anyone out of this forum.

Armand
Armand

Postby terrell on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:41 pm

armand, when i asked the question, it was directed entirely at tarheel. your list(s) have come in very handy and informational more than i can count. i know, i've linked to your list enough. questioning your motives were the furthest thing from my mind.

Armand wrote:I also believe is best to leave comments such as "paranoid delusions" and "deep-seeded insecurities" about anyone out of this forum.

and i'm seriously not inclined to care one iota what you, or anyone else, believes what i believe is an accurate observation. if you have diagnosed psychoses you're uncomfortable with in an open forum, that's your albatross.
terrell

Postby Armand on Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:13 pm

terrell,

I took your question/post differently than you intended, especially with respect to whom it was directed. I apologize for jumping in and replying where it wasn't my place.

For the record, I have no diagnosed psychoses - maybe "diagnosed" is the key word there :!: :lol:
I was suggesting that name-calling and putting others down has no place in this forum (my opinion).

I don't have any hard feelings towards anyone, especially you, terrell. You have helped many more Links players here than I likely ever will. I'm sure they greatly appreciate the help. I trust Lonnie will appreciate the list that I've started for him.

Armand
Armand

Postby terrell on Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:29 pm

ok, armand. you really did it now. i feel like a real horse's caboose. i should have understood where you were coming from and not jumped down your throat like that. i promised myself i was going to make an effort of putting myself in the other person's place before pulling the trigger. i didn't do that. i apologize and the olive branch is out.
terrell

Postby Roughrider on Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:20 am

I dunno. I wouldn't get out the olive branch until I had resolved my deep-seated insecurities.
RR
Roughrider

Next

Return to Talk About It