Playing from sand

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby Westview on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:53 pm

Chip_Jett wrote:
Westview wrote:
Chip_Jett wrote:This is where i think the game is flawed. You should not have to go up 2 or 3 clubs in a fairway bunker to get your distance. On a flat lie the same club should apply as if you were playing from the fairway. Ajustments for lie and wind should dictate club selection as in the fairway. hitting the perfect snap out of the trap should be the only penalty for going in there.

Have you ever played real golf? :roll:

Have you? The reason for my post is i do play real golf, alot longer than you have im sure. If you drop down 2 clubs out of a fairway trap with a flat clean lye you must be a real hack lol.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Are you saying that you use the same club in a fairway bunker as you would on the fairway? There's no way.
Last edited by Westview on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing can escape the law of Karma
Westview

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:53 pm

My golf coach told me the art of playing from fway bunkers was to swing smooth and a little slower and taking extra club was the way to go so Links conforms with is thinking.
RoyHiggi

Postby tryandtyoneon on Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:13 pm

GDI_Coyote wrote:Terrell,how about a little civility towards chip pal!I saw nothing S T U P I D about his post.He obviously plays golf at a level you will never attain.The whole add 2 clubs theory is for hackers who either skull or fat it.

Being a TW fan,i'm sure you remember the 6 iron from the trap,over the water from 216.I'd say thats his normal shot.Most pro golfers don't need to add 2 clubs you flickin 5th grader!

I'll not respond to anything you have to say about what i just wrote,but i will be watching to see if you flap ya trap again.One can only hope you will refrain from being a condecending git again.

Regards,

Steve
A quote from tiger himself.......Better ernie??.....ya jackass

A fairway bunker can be imposing enough for the average player in ordinary circumstances. Factor in having to control the trajectory of the shot, and even the most experienced player can get butterflies.

I've faced that situation quite a few times during my career, none more challenging than the 6-iron I hit over water in Canada in 2000 and the 3-iron over trees in the PGA Championship at Hazeltine a couple years later. Both involved controlling the height of the shot and a commitment to making the proper swing.

Indecision and fear can be paralyzing. There's only one way to overcome both, and that's through practice, practice and more practice. I hope my technique for getting the ball up quickly from a fairway bunker, plus a lot of practice, will yield similar results for you.

Keep the club moving through impact

With a fairway bunker shot, you must contact the ball before you contact the sand. I select slightly more club than normal for the yardage and grip down the exact amount that I dig my shoes into the sand. That way I can swing easier and maintain my balance. I set up in a slightly open stance and position the ball near the center of my stance. I add a little loft to the club by opening the face a hair, which means I must aim slightly left of the target to allow for a little cutter. It's really difficult to draw the ball from a fairway bunker. The average player either beats down on the ball or scoops it in an attempt to get it up quickly. In both instances you've altered your spine angle and either hit the ball fat or skinny, driving it into the lip of the bunker. It's critical to establish the proper spine angle for the shot and maintain it to the finish. If there's a secret to the fairway bunker swing, it's this: I speed up my arms on the downswing to get the ball up quicker. The result is a shot that soars high and lands softly.
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby terrell on Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm

GDI_Coyote wrote:Terrell,how about a little civility towards chip pal!I saw nothing S T U P I D about his post.

holy crap. 'married' gays should not post in the same thread.
terrell

Postby tryandtyoneon on Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:24 pm

terrell wrote:
GDI_Coyote wrote:Terrell,how about a little civility towards chip pal!I saw nothing S T U P I D about his post.

holy crap. 'married' gays should not post in the same thread.

Sweet!!!
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby Chip_Jett on Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:11 pm

[quote="GDI_Coyote"]Terrell,how about a little civility towards chip pal!I saw nothing S T U P I D about his post.He obviously plays golf at a level you will never attain.The whole add 2 clubs theory is for hackers who either skull or fat it.

Being a TW fan,i'm sure you remember the 6 iron from the trap,over the water from 216.I'd say thats his normal shot.Most pro golfers don't need to add 2 clubs you flickin 5th grader!

I'll not respond to anything you have to say about what i just wrote,but i will be watching to see if you flap ya trap again.One can only hope you will refrain from being a condecending git again.

Regards,

Steve[/quote]

It's obvious that they have never picked one clean steve. Except for their noses. :lol:
Chip_Jett

Postby Chip_Jett on Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:03 pm

[quote="terrell"][quote="Chip_Jett"]This is where i think the game is flawed. You should not have to go up 2 or 3 clubs in a fairway bunker to get your distance. On a flat lie the same club should apply as if you were playing from the fairway. Ajustments for lie and wind should dictate club selection as in the fairway. hitting the perfect snap out of the trap should be the only penalty for going in there.[/quote]

aaaccckkk! this is where i think gamers should stick to gamer discussions, and golfers should stick to golfer discussions. golfers realize you're going to have to go down a coupla clubs to get a comparable distance out of a fairway bunker. just like links. links = golf simulation. tw = gamer fantasy experience.[/quote]

Terrell stick to what your good at...... whatever it might be. Don't comment on my post unless you know what your talking about. Golfers realize you don't have down size a cuppa clubs to hit the shot, but hackers do .
Chip_Jett

Postby GDI_Coyote on Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:14 pm

Is ok Jett,they are taught that to keep them interested in making that one bird per round.Which is what makes the game great....oxymoron?

Cheers
GDI_Coyote

Postby HTP_ErnieB on Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:55 am

tryandtyoneon wrote:A quote from tiger himself.......Better ernie??.....ya jackass

Shizzle my dizzle, I own you bizzle. 8)
HTP_ErnieB

Postby terrell on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:44 am

this kinda reminds me of b u s h (frelling moronic (reminds me of these gamers/t-word fanboys claiming to be golfers) censor bot!) claiming there's no such thing as global warming. or cheney telling wolf blitzer iraq's going well and as planned. sometime's ya just gotta pat the little mindless weasels on the head and move on.
terrell

Postby HTP_ErnieB on Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:41 am

"Condescending git" was far too nice IMO Image
HTP_ErnieB

Postby terrell on Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:20 am

you're right, ernie. i could get way nastier, but i was trying to tone it down, and that was the only really obvious s t u p i d analogy i could think of at the time. i'm getting somewhat better when arguing with clueless peeps to just let it go.
terrell

Postby HTP_ErnieB on Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:02 pm

terrell wrote:i'm getting somewhat better when arguing with clueless peeps to just let it go.

That's somewhat a matter of perspective.

Nevertheless, I usually play the same club from a fairway bunker that I would play from the fairway, with a few exceptions. The most obvious one being if the ball goes into the bunker on the fly and buries itself. It's quite difficult to pick a plugged ball. Most bunker lies are typically as a result of rolling through the fairway, and unlike the oatmeal-like properties of the fairway bunkers in this sim, IRL the ball will not "stick" to a 75 degree slope, you'll usually wind up with a good lie.

One very good reason people go up a club or two is the natural tendency to catch alot of sand behind the ball. Few people possess the arm strength to carry a normal distance when blasting a fairway bunker (I won't mention one particular touring pro who does :lol: ). Too many times I've gone up 2 clubs only to pick the ball cleanly and fly 40 yds past the green. :shock: So, I play my normal distance club (assuming a good lie in a fairway bunker) and if I happen to catch too much sand while attempting to pick the ball cleanly, I just take my lumps for making a sh1tty shot. I take plenty of lumps when I play.

I guess I'm clueless too. :roll:
HTP_ErnieB

Postby terrell on Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:09 pm

HTP_ErnieB wrote:
terrell wrote:i'm getting somewhat better when arguing with clueless peeps to just let it go.
I guess I'm clueless too. :roll:

and i'm letting it go.
terrell

Postby RR_Desperado on Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:57 pm

Terrel,
You get away with an awful lot of things that you say on this forum because many , who have been here a long time, remember the old helpful Terrel, not the new cynical one who is so quick to jump on others who you feel aren`t up to your technical standards. You appear to have lost all patience with what you feel are silly questions or opinions.
I`ve always felt that deep down you were a decent guy but lately you seem bent on proving that theory wrong. What gives?
RR_Desperado

PreviousNext

Return to Talk About It