Playing from sand

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Playing from sand

Postby garfran on Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:49 pm

Want to thank Westview, Canuck and Roy for the very valuable help. I have found in 2k1 that hitting at five o'clock (sand trap snap marker?) is quite consistent for both fairway and green bunkers, but in 2k3 not so for green bunkers at the Champ level. Have done some practise today in the practise mode and will continue in future. So thanks again and let's keep keeping on and enojoying it.
garfran

Postby mike58 on Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:18 am

In 2003 champ, I have been fairly successful in greenside bunkers by snapping at about the 7 o'clock position. I have found that hitting the top at 12 and the bottom at 6 sends the ball about 30 yards, from a fairly level lie. I adjust from there for distance and lie. Never go past 7 (higher) or below 6. Hope this helps.
mike58

Postby garfran on Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:48 pm

Thanks Mike. Phew, you have to be quick to get it at the seven 'o clock, but there it is for those who can do.
garfran

Postby Chip_Jett on Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:18 am

This is where i think the game is flawed. You should not have to go up 2 or 3 clubs in a fairway bunker to get your distance. On a flat lie the same club should apply as if you were playing from the fairway. Ajustments for lie and wind should dictate club selection as in the fairway. hitting the perfect snap out of the trap should be the only penalty for going in there.
Chip_Jett

Postby terrell on Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:44 am

Chip_Jett wrote:This is where i think the game is flawed. You should not have to go up 2 or 3 clubs in a fairway bunker to get your distance. On a flat lie the same club should apply as if you were playing from the fairway. Ajustments for lie and wind should dictate club selection as in the fairway. hitting the perfect snap out of the trap should be the only penalty for going in there.

aaaccckkk! this is where i think gamers should stick to gamer discussions, and golfers should stick to golfer discussions. golfers realize you're going to have to go down a coupla clubs to get a comparable distance out of a fairway bunker. just like links. links = golf simulation. tw = gamer fantasy experience.
terrell

Postby Westview on Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:41 pm

Chip_Jett wrote:This is where i think the game is flawed. You should not have to go up 2 or 3 clubs in a fairway bunker to get your distance. On a flat lie the same club should apply as if you were playing from the fairway. Ajustments for lie and wind should dictate club selection as in the fairway. hitting the perfect snap out of the trap should be the only penalty for going in there.

Have you ever played real golf? :roll:
Nothing can escape the law of Karma
Westview

Postby Chip_Jett on Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:38 pm

[quote="Westview"][quote="Chip_Jett"]This is where i think the game is flawed. You should not have to go up 2 or 3 clubs in a fairway bunker to get your distance. On a flat lie the same club should apply as if you were playing from the fairway. Ajustments for lie and wind should dictate club selection as in the fairway. hitting the perfect snap out of the trap should be the only penalty for going in there.[/quote]

Have you ever played real golf? :roll:[/quote]

Have you? The reason for my post is i do play real golf, alot longer than you have im sure. If you drop down 2 clubs out of a fairway trap with a flat clean lye you must be a real hack lol.
Chip_Jett

Postby terrell on Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:42 pm

Chip_Jett wrote:Have you? The reason for my post is i do play real golf, alot longer than you have im sure. If you drop down 2 clubs out of a fairway trap with a flat clean lye you must be a real hack lol.

that is just so unbelievably s t u p i d, chip, on every level. you sound like an eighth grader. and you know nothing about golf.
terrell

Postby tryandtyoneon on Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:56 pm

The fairway bunker shot can be an intimidating shot for many inexperienced golfers. For starters, when playing out of fairway bunkers, it is wise to take one to two clubs more than normal. Begin by setting up normally, with your feet slightly dug in for stability and the ball positioned more toward the middle of your stance. Next, grip down slightly on the club for greater control.

Right before you begin your backswing, lift your chin off your chest. That raises your center of gravity and increases your ability to hit the ball first, which is crucial in executing the shot. Swing at 70 percent of your normal speed and there’s a good bet you’ll hit a clean, solid shot.

So, Hitting a shot from a fairway bunker poses no great problem if the ball has a good lie. (Well, I am really just trying to build your confidence. I could say, you are in a bunker, you're score just went up three strokes!!!)

Long or middle irons as well as 3, 4, and 5 woods can be used with confidence in this situation.
Take a open stance, wider than normal. Work your feet into the sand for better balance. Play the ball back 1" to 2" to assure that the club hits the ball before the sand.

Choke down on the [censored].
Close your eyes (just kidding)

From an open stance, aim slightly to the left.
Swing Normal Speed
Pray.

On long fairway bunker shots, try a 5 wood in preference to a long iron. Don't try to overpower this shot. Restrict your body turn and swing easy.
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby terrell on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:00 pm

tryandtyoneon wrote:Pray.

see? murray knows golf. (8
terrell

Postby HTP_ErnieB on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:03 pm

HTP_ErnieB

Postby terrell on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:06 pm

darn. sounded about right.
terrell

Postby tryandtyoneon on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:06 pm

Guess I shoulda said it was taken from blah blah blah........but I wanted to get the point across asap.....speaking of hacks, don't you have a course to design somewhere??
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby HTP_ErnieB on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:23 pm

ooooo good one.*

* not
HTP_ErnieB

Postby GDI_Coyote on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:26 pm

Terrell,how about a little civility towards chip pal!I saw nothing S T U P I D about his post.He obviously plays golf at a level you will never attain.The whole add 2 clubs theory is for hackers who either skull or fat it.

Being a TW fan,i'm sure you remember the 6 iron from the trap,over the water from 216.I'd say thats his normal shot.Most pro golfers don't need to add 2 clubs you flickin 5th grader!

I'll not respond to anything you have to say about what i just wrote,but i will be watching to see if you flap ya trap again.One can only hope you will refrain from being a condecending git again.

Regards,

Steve
GDI_Coyote

Next

Return to Talk About It