Mod Reminder

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby tryandtyoneon on Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:49 pm

LH13241 wrote:
tryandtyoneon wrote:for further evidence of non realistic the mod is, please read the following........

http://www.lspn.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=807

Did you notice that there is only on guy complaining
Besides MS did an ugly job of recreating this course
The new version Kapalua Plantation 2007 was redone exactly like it should be
and it plays great with the MOD with every single pins

So your statement doesn't stand :lol:

PS. I was going to suggest that you play the new course with the MOD but I guess, not only are you against the MOD, but you'll probably against a new version of Kapalua Plantation

LH

One guy complaining?????....there are only 3 in there to begin with!!!!!!.....You make this way too easy....LMAO
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby LH13241 on Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:17 pm

WRONG................

there is 21 players playing Kapalua with the MOD
LH13241

Postby prospect193 on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:25 pm

LH13241 wrote:
tryandtyoneon wrote:The new version Kapalua Plantation 2007 was redone exactly like it should be
and it plays great with the MOD with every single pins

LH

Yeah and the 3D clubhouse looks pretty [censored] good!!! :wink:

Pat
prospect193

Regarding the Plantation Challenge MOD tourney

Postby HeavySwinger on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:28 pm

Just to clarify, there are the following numbers playing the MOD tourney at the various levels:

Ammy: 7 (2 have finished)
Pro: 11 (7 have finished)
Champ: 8 (at least 3 have finished)
Elite: 2 (1 has finished)

Total: 28 (at least 13 have finished)

I want to state that I completely disagree with Crissy's posts here and those of the other MOD bashers, so I'm one more that doesn't hate the MOD.

I want to highlight Kaden's rounds in these tourneys, who managed to shoot all 4 rounds under par while playing Elite Powerstroke - my hat is off to you bud! :D

I played the pro level of this tourney using RTS and am currently in the lead. Admittedly though, some of those pins were not very playable or realistic due to the course itself not being realistic or mod friendly and the fact the tourney host cannot currently specify individual pins so they can be set properly. Until these things are fixed, and Mark has stated they will be, MOD tourneys here will not be very realistic. However, the MOD tourneys run over at apcd-courses are extremely realistic and I expect the ones here to be much better in the near future.
Larry
HeavySwinger

Re: Regarding the Plantation Challenge MOD tourney

Postby Crissy on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:54 pm

HeavySwinger wrote:
I want to state that I completely disagree with Crissy's posts here and those of the other MOD bashers, so I'm one more that doesn't hate the MOD.

I don’t think I am a mod basher at all, you guys can play it till you turn green makes no never mind to me at all. Just don’t make me or anyone else add the thing to my game just to play here, other then that mod on I could care less. lol

I have never said a bad word about it until this thread and I am just tired of people pushing the thing every time I turn around. Its like hearing a knock at the door on Sunday morning only to find a bunch of Jehovah's Witnesses, you just want to whack them with a broom. lol

Crissy
Last edited by Crissy on Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crissy

Postby Chip_Jett on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:55 pm

I agree larry , my hats off to Kaden for his great play / all the others that finshed. I played 2 rds. at champ click and my nerves are shot lol . I still have the FF rd. and the windy rd. to go. :cry:
Chip_Jett

Postby Crissy on Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:00 pm

Chip_Jett wrote:I agree larry , my hats off to Kaden for his great play / all the others that finshed. I played 2 rds. at champ click and my nerves are shot lol . I still have the FF rd. and the windy rd. to go. :cry:

Yes he is a most excellent player. I have played him a time or two, we were just not using the mod at the time though.

See I can be nice. lol

Crissy
Last edited by Crissy on Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crissy

Postby RR_Desperado on Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:26 am

LH is no slouch when it comes to sarcastic and neither is Larry.
I think we have a few cases of the pot calling the kettle black.
RR_Desperado

Postby Crissy on Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:27 am

There are things people may not know so I thought I would clear them up. I would think I may know rehit as good or most likely better then most people in this thread that love or even hate the mod. As some of you may or may not know he has been a member of every site I have ever built and supported me and helped me many times. So I could go and gab with rehits right now and it would not bother me one little tiny bit, shy I am not. lol I don’t have a problem with the mod per-say ( its just not my cup of tea is all ) and have always wished him well with that and anything he does. I am even a member over at his site also. He set my name and password I beleave so it would never expire on me, as I kept forgetting it and what not.

But I do have a problem with you all pushing and pushing it every chance you get you all never stop and you sour people right off, so you will never get anywhere that way. The mod was excepted here ( barely I mite add ) the way it was a third party add-on. Now you all want to add the thing to my game permanently just to play here, or so you lead people to beleave. Now in my book thats unacceptable, as I purchased the game from the manufacturers with out it and don’t want the thing added unless I choose to add it. If you can all see your way clear not to force or make it mandatory just to play here I am happy, you will never hear a bad word about the mod from me again. If not I have a right to complain all I want as this is no good at all in my opinion.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby HTP_ErnieB on Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:25 am

Crissy wrote:...pushing and pushing it every chance you get you all never stop and you sour people right off, so you will never get anywhere that way.

It has been my life experience, personal and/or otherwise, the above quoted statement works for all sides of any given debate. Equally based on my life experience, I'm certain some day you will also realize this.
HTP_ErnieB

Postby Crissy on Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:39 am

HTP_ErnieB wrote:
Crissy wrote:...pushing and pushing it every chance you get you all never stop and you sour people right off, so you will never get anywhere that way.

It has been my life experience, personal and/or otherwise, the above quoted statement works for all sides of any given debate. Equally based on my life experience, I'm certain some day you will also realize this.

I am sure this may very well be true, but as one of your supporters posted earlier many of us in this thread are or at least act like kids. ( I hope I never change, I don't want to be grumpy all the time like you guys ) So don't rush us give us a break things come to thoughs who wait, even if it takes a bit. lol

Sorry I cant stay longer but I am over at rehits site posting also, kids like to get around. Its a funny thing about children they are never scared of anything, so go to the source I say. lol

Crissy
Crissy

Postby LH13241 on Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:54 am

Ok this as gone on to long :lol:

All I'm saying, is that people should play the way they want
I play both and I love it and hope newer version come out (legal or not)
I'm open minded when it comes to something new and
I always think that everyone should also be like that,
but everybody's not and I can't comprehend why people can not embrace changes.

I will never shove the MOD down anybodies throat, but I will defend it.
So Crissy, no hard feelings,
Everyone, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

PS. RR_Desperado, our kettle at home is white :lol: :lol: :lol:
LH13241

Postby terrell on Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:07 am

ah, c'mon, lh. all this rumor, innuendo, and speculation is fun. 'specially since we gotta get this thread to 10 pages! if you come in here talkin' all mature and sensible, what'll we have to talk about? i think it would be really funny if mark replied he has no idea what we're talking about, and there are no plans of integrating the mod into v1.05.

what's the 13241 stand for?

edit: i was just thinking i'm lucky to get a reply to my threads. and here you've got 16 posts, and you're da man! color me green.

edit #2: oh yeah, and since you mentioned it...merry christmas and a happy new year to everyone here, also. i'll probably say it a few times before christmas, but everyone, enjoy the holidays with your friends and loved ones. and be safe!
terrell

Postby LH13241 on Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:23 am

terrell wrote:what's the 13241 stand for?

There are 13240 other LH
Just kidding, it's the number of wins that i have playing this game
Still kidding, it's my longest drive in inches
Ok, Ok, it's my address, no kidding it is

Someone has taken my old nickname

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LH13241

Postby mogulbasher on Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:47 am

Fascinating discussion. As with all discussions each side makes a number of valid points and suffers from a number of perceptions that appear prejudiced.

As the evil monster who unleashed this thing, I want to point out a couple of things.

The mod is often called unrealistic because (aka the Kapalua Discussion) the ball wont stop at the hole. Well, I just got back from playing there twice and I honestly believe that the MS greens are unrealistic. Many of the old APCD created courses featured unrealistic slopes to induce the kind of rolls that were there IRL with the standard 1.05 settings. Take Augusta V2 for example...

I think advocates of 1.05 have a valid point and concern about combining all the settings. The number of pure 1.05 tournaments may be reduced quite a lot. The effect of this can be compensated by only allowing mod settings to be used together or 1.05 settings to be used together. This will effectively leave it as it is today except that people wont have to click a different icon to play one or the other. More importantly for tour managers and lobby hosts it will mean not having to write separate code for both. I am sure the merits of allowing soft 1.05 and say Moderate 1.06 will be discussed at length before any decisions are made.

However, having said that I do not believe that the "The Mod is a more accurate simulation of golf" is a valid argument either. It is a different simulation of a different set of conditions that may be more akin to what tour players face on a day to day basis. It can easily be argued that the 1.05 settings are a more accurate reflection of the cow pastures most of us play on a day to day basis. When discussing these topics both sides must be careful to avoid these types of comments as they merely serve to inflame the other side and serve limited value

I remember beta testing Links 2001 and 2003, and I remember the fact that the swing meter for click had a different timing than Links 2000 / 97. I remember having to adjust to it. The lie penalties in Links 2003 are greater than the penalties in previous versions. New things come out all the time and we adapt cos that is the game. Here we are talking about giving people more choices not less and concerns are expressed that this is not the intent of the original designers of the game. I find the arguments about source code, pirating, and so forth to also be wholly self serving and of limited value to the real discussion that should be taking place about how we make the game better, provide more choice, improve the quality of the tour experience and so forth.

Anyone who actually played a game out there called Custom Play Golf would find that in those games the actual speeds of the greens roll on the fairways and all the other ball physics stuff was actually built into the course file by the designer. So there were no standard settings. The very first beta of the APCD contained that very same capability, and the first courses created using that would have had variable speeds to any level. One could argue therefore that this was the original intent. However by the time the game came out these screens in APCD had been removed and the stock settings put in for all fairways and greens.

Perhaps what we should do is make a simple change to the Links engine so that instead of using the texture properties for greens and fairways in the there it pulls those values from the CRZ instead. Then there would be no 1.05 or 1.06 settings just the settings the designer wanted the players to use. The firm to slow values would then merely be a multiplier of the course designers settings, and indeed you would have to practice a course a lot to get the speeds of the greens down to a point where you could play well. Perhaps an option to turn off the standard settings and use the course settings so again this could be a choice that people play with.

the problem of course is this. The more options you have (grid, speeds, gimmies etc) the more tour operators have to either force rules or check ver file settings to ensure everyone is playing the same and this adds to the headache of running a tour.

Happy holidays to all even those who have not yet discovered the frustration and challenge the mod provides to me.... :twisted: :P
mogulbasher

PreviousNext

Return to Talk About It