A new way to play

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

A new way to play

Postby chrispy on Thu May 18, 2017 11:27 pm

Well I've been playing this game for 20 years or so & just recently I discovered a new shot in my bag.
I carry a 3W & a 5W and always had trouble when a shot was halfway between the two
What to do...hit the bejesus out of the 5W or try and part hit a flopped 3W
Well a while ago I discovered the punch shot.Not really but I'd only ever used it when I had to hit a shot under trees or into a stiff wind.
Now I feel like a golfer reborn, punch shots here punch shots there,my only regret is that there is not the option with the putter.
Not many par 5's I can't reach in two now.The only problem with it is if you miss the snap by the tiniest margin you're way off & if there's water anywhere around......
Anyway the risk is worth it even though my wife doesn't think so with the language that issues forth when I finish in water or some other horrible place.She doesn't seem placated when I give out a scream of joy after a eagle on a hole I used to battle to par.
All I can say is give me more distance I'm in full flight!
My greatest strength is my weakness
chrispy

Re: A new way to play

Postby JackRussellTerror on Mon May 22, 2017 7:56 pm

good comment chrispy :)
same here.......quite a few years ago i incorporated the punch shot into my game. With all my clubs i FLOP often. BUT i only PUNCH with 3W 5W and 6W. Irons very rarely. Metal wood punches are great. 3W PUNCH gets me about 265 yards, 5W PUNCH gets me about 240 yards and so on......

where the 1W landing area is tight, i'll throttle back to a 265 yard 3W PUNCH. I call THAT "good course management" :P

if i'm into the rough, with a low branch just ahead, out comes the 4 Iron PUNCH and i smash it........

love the punch shots :D BUT be warned ! :twisted: a slight miss on the snapo and WOOPS !

:wink:
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby RoyHiggi on Tue May 23, 2017 9:21 am

JackRussellTerror wrote:good comment chrispy :)
same here.......quite a few years ago i incorporated the punch shot into my game. With all my clubs i FLOP often. BUT i only PUNCH with 3W 5W and 6W. Irons very rarely. Metal wood punches are great. 3W PUNCH gets me about 265 yards, 5W PUNCH gets me about 240 yards and so on......

where the 1W landing area is tight, i'll throttle back to a 265 yard 3W PUNCH. I call THAT "good course management" :P

if i'm into the rough, with a low branch just ahead, out comes the 4 Iron PUNCH and i smash it........

love the punch shots :D BUT be warned ! :twisted: a slight miss on the snapo and WOOPS !

:wink:

All I hear is what happens if you miss the snap :lol: which sadly I do a little too often to try such shots.

Never used it unless its the only way out of a bad position needing to go under branches and even then I might just do the sensible thing and play out sideways
RoyHiggi

Postby JackRussellTerror on Wed May 24, 2017 12:20 pm

RoyHiggi wrote:unless its the only way out of a bad position needing to go under branches and

sometimes Roy, one has to 'bite the bullet' and indeed, use that punch :|
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby RoyHiggi on Wed May 24, 2017 3:24 pm

JackRussellTerror wrote:
RoyHiggi wrote:unless its the only way out of a bad position needing to go under branches and

sometimes Roy, one has to 'bite the bullet' and indeed, use that punch :|

absolutely if it's the only way out of trees to go underneath. Just don't see it for other situations. I am talking champ play though and not pro where you can probably get away with a miss snap.
RoyHiggi

Return to Talk About It