Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

PLSA Heritage... next year

Postby GoesForIt on Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:02 am

Two rounds of WINDY for sure
Much tougher pin positions.
GoesForIt

Re: PLSA Heritage... next year

Postby Echoes on Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:01 pm

:lol: :lol: Since i can't remember the last time i saw windy used in a PLSA event let alone 2. I will believe it when i see it :lol: :lol:
Echoes

Postby RonnieSmith on Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:07 am

GoesForIt wrote:Two rounds of WINDY for sure
Much tougher pin positions.

That's quite interesting. Unfortunately, Links does not take trees into account when simulating the wind. Having
played Harbour Town IRL twice, I can testify to the fact that the wind tends to be a major influence only at the
end of the round. From the 2nd shot on 16 onward. Otherwise, it's pretty sheltered.

Of course, it would be a computational challenge of the highest order to take trees into account for wind in a golf simulation.

Ronnie
RonnieSmith

Postby GoesForIt on Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:25 am

Okay, maybe 1 round WINDY :lol:
GoesForIt

Postby GoBucks on Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:03 am

Windy is broken.
No matter where you go, there you are!
GoBucks

Postby Echoes on Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:20 am

GoBucks wrote:Windy is broken.

Please elaborate.
Echoes

Postby GoBucks on Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:30 am

Echoes wrote:

Please elaborate.

That was a tongue-in-cheek comment, but if you were to do a search in this forum for "windy broken" you may get a sense of where it came from. Seems to be a common refrain since v1.07 came along.
No matter where you go, there you are!
GoBucks

Postby Harpo on Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:15 am

Echoes wrote:

Please elaborate.

The way I see it as before the change (1.07) windy would be around the 3rd mark on the wind gauge. Now, it is always more than that and barely comes back down to the third mark. I'm not saying that we should not have any windy round but just my take on broken. Some say it didn't change. I would love to hear Mark's take on this subject if it was indeed changed.
Jim
Harpo

Postby Echoes on Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:23 pm

It was June of 2008 when the windy changed somewhat in how it shows in intensity, but it was attributed to the incorporation of gusty at the same time.The old for every action physics metaphor. One would think that nearly 16 years later any duffer that regularly plays windy rounds would have figured out aim and distance for all their clubs leaving snap as the main variable. If not i suggest playing more windy rounds.

But i will unequivocally say that windy is not broken...it gives the same results time after time which is all one can ask for.
Echoes

Postby RoyHiggi on Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:44 am

Echoes wrote:It was June of 2008 when the windy changed somewhat in how it shows in intensity, but it was attributed to the incorporation of gusty at the same time.The old for every action physics metaphor. One would think that nearly 16 years later any duffer that regularly plays windy rounds would have figured out aim and distance for all their clubs leaving snap as the main variable. If not i suggest playing more windy rounds.

But i will unequivocally say that windy is not broken...it gives the same results time after time which is all one can ask for.

Broken is maybe too strong a word but there is no doubt the wind became stronger than it had been and therefore it became tougher. I can’t imagine anyone has actually figured out aim and distance but of course the more you play the better you are likely to be.
RoyHiggi

Postby rwoodworkr on Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:51 am

RoyHiggi wrote:...I can’t imagine anyone has actually figured out aim and distance but of course the more you play the better you are likely to be.

I haven't played a windy round for quite a while, but rather than aim, playing click, I tend to use draw or fade to counteract side winds. Quartering winds are the toughest to deal with.
rwoodworkr

Postby RoyHiggi on Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:55 pm

rwoodworkr wrote:
RoyHiggi wrote:...I can’t imagine anyone has actually figured out aim and distance but of course the more you play the better you are likely to be.

I haven't played a windy round for quite a while, but rather than aim, playing click, I tend to use draw or fade to counteract side winds. Quartering winds are the toughest to deal with.

I hardly ever use draw/fade unless trees are in the way of where I would like to aim. Too old now to give it a go. Usually like to ride the wind and try to get used to it as best I can.
RoyHiggi

Return to Talk About It