PLSA upcoming Puntacana and Dell Match Play

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

PLSA upcoming Puntacana and Dell Match Play

Postby GoesForIt on Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:14 pm

The Matchplay has 550 for the winner
The Puntacana starts at 500 for the winner

From last year, I've switched to Austin CC World Matchplay 2021 which has the nines reversed and in line with the Match Play event.
GoesForIt

Re: PLSA upcoming Puntacana and Dell Match Play

Postby GoesForIt on Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:48 pm

Clearly should have played a practice round at Austin.
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:42 pm

I'm sort of dreading Rounds #3 and #4 at Austin coming. Thank goodness I made them both M/M and MC/MC for both those rounds. The pin positions are not fair... even though I managed -7 in round #2. I made a couple of big benders... along with one chip-in.

1) I'm not seeing near the undulation IRL as I'm seeing in the Links version.
2) With the nines being switched for the Dell Match Play, I also swapped the pin positions that I'd used in the past.

I get the feeling that John Brooks may have altered all the pin positions in addition to flopping the nines. We'll all just have to get through it and I'll go through the whole thing for next year.
GoesForIt

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:19 pm

GoesForIt wrote:I'm sort of dreading Rounds #3 and #4 at Austin coming. Thank goodness I made them both M/M and MC/MC for both those rounds. The pin positions are not fair... even though I managed -7 in round #2. I made a couple of big benders... along with one chip-in.

2) With the nines being switched for the Dell Match Play, I also swapped the pin positions that I'd used in the past.

I get the feeling that John Brooks may have altered all the pin positions in addition to flopping the nines. We'll all just have to get through it and I'll go through the whole thing for next year.

After a round in this playing pro I anticipate the champ challenging rounds to quite wild on the greens. It will be tough to play for two putts if you get out of position on those greens.
RoyHiggi

Postby GoesForIt on Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:20 am

Well, I've been through Austin Match Play and tried to find some fairer pin positions for next year. I must say on a few holes I had to use the same pins twice (example: 8,1,8,1 for the four rounds).

I'm absolutely certain the IRL greens do not roll nearly as severely as they do in this APCD version for Links. It's sad. This course is plenty difficult without being tricked up. It's one thing to have the pin positions in fair positions but a lot of roly-poly if you don't hit your approach close. But to put pin positions where the ball rolls back to your feet when you miss an uphill putt in MC/MC is a bit much.

I hope John Brooks sees this post or hears of it and revisits an otherwise great course.
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:17 pm

Rats! albatros, I choked on a 4 footer on 18 for the win. Double Rats!
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:38 pm

Well, final round at Dell Match Play pins were not as bad as I feared. Still, I will take great pains if they're here next year.

I was going along okay until 16 and it it right. no sense going into it but came out with an 8.

18 I had this weirdo putt (attached)...
Attachments
Weird.SHT
(3.7 KB) Downloaded 114 times
GoesForIt

Postby albatros on Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:18 pm

GoesForIt wrote:Rats! albatros, I choked on a 4 footer on 18 for the win. Double Rats!

nice round for the tie and i missed my share of short putts as I always on champ chall mode. ;} have been known to three putt from that distance lol

albatros

a bouncing ball never sleeps
albatros

Postby Titus on Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:59 am

GoesForIt wrote:Well, I've been through Austin Match Play and tried to find some fairer pin positions for next year. I must say on a few holes I had to use the same pins twice (example: 8,1,8,1 for the four rounds).

I'm absolutely certain the IRL greens do not roll nearly as severely as they do in this APCD version for Links. It's sad. This course is plenty difficult without being tricked up. It's one thing to have the pin positions in fair positions but a lot of roly-poly if you don't hit your approach close. But to put pin positions where the ball rolls back to your feet when you miss an uphill putt in MC/MC is a bit much.

I hope John Brooks sees this post or hears of it and revisits an otherwise great course.

Hello,
maybe for next time, check out this version of Austin CC 2022, he's been a little bit defused,

regards

https://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=2733
Titus

Postby RonnieSmith on Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:28 am

GoesForIt wrote:I'm sort of dreading Rounds #3 and #4 at Austin coming. Thank goodness I made them both M/M and MC/MC for both those rounds. The pin positions are not fair... even though I managed -7 in round #2. I made a couple of big benders... along with one chip-in.

Well, you can certainly always use the course, but this is the last year for the WGC match play event.

Ronnie
RonnieSmith

Postby GoesForIt on Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:51 pm

RonnieSmith wrote:Well, you can certainly always use the course, but this is the last year for the WGC match play event.

Ronnie

So be it. I really like the course, just don't think the greens are representative.

I've not seen the 2024 season. I heard there's no wrap-around so 2024 will all be in the same calendar year?. The Tour Championship takes place Aug 24-27. Not sure what will happen the remainder of the year.

There are tons of good courses from good authors to fill-in.
GoesForIt

Return to Talk About It